O/t Damp cupboards

scott_prelit now westfield_bumble

I Live in an end terrace and the end wall is always freezing. It seems to get all the weather thrown at it. Its already got cavity wall insulation. The problems i'm having are with wardrobes up against them are ending up mildewy. so they've been chucked. I've then got a fitted wardrobe( well sliding doors into an alcove so nothing to trap the air against the wall) Its still getting some mildew but not like it was. I was thinking of plumbing a small panel radiator in to raise the air temp and maybe warm the external wall a little hoping it would solve the issues. its always feels cold in there. I've just had a bit google and found these electric heaters https://www.cupboard-heaters.co.uk/ and was wondering if any one had used them before. Is there any other way to insulate the wall. I recently saw some terracea that appeared to be getting polystyrene outer layer attached and some sort of false brick effect.

any help or advice welcome

A bit of ventilation into the room from the wardrobe would help too if that's possible .

The wardrobe as sliding doors so there is a little bit breathing avaiable between the gap in the doors. as for leaving them open to let the air circulate that maybe a problem with my mrs as she needs everything at right angles on tables and has to do the washing up before bed or she cant sleep lol. so leaving doors open will be a big NO NO :laugh:

Stu it makes me laugh that we need to use such a system as the goverment make us make our houses all nice and air tight to save energy yet the knock on effect is condensation and dampness. Put double glazing in to stop drafts then fit trickle vents. Its utter madness :angry: Am i right in thinking that the system just basically changes the air in the house for you just like leaving the windows open a crack.

You have classic condensation problems

Air needs to circulate to prevent this and also the warmer and drier it is then the better

Some people run a small dehumidifier every so often which helps a bit

You could also stick a thin layer of polystyrene insulation sheet to the back of the wardrobes to see if that helps

I agree Terry but my thinking is that if i raise the temperature of the wall surface then there is less chance of the air condensing in the wardrobe and the convection currents caused by the heater will help to move the air around

As has been mentioned, a dehumidifier would certainly be useful in curing the problem - it certainly did in our place and FWIW the problem we had was most noticeable in an area that’d had sliding doors fitted over an alcove.

R

I'll be watching this thread :)

Living in a 300 year old cottage and barn conversion we have more than our fair share amount of issues :( :(

I am looking at this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160983494170?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 or a similar system that recovers the heat from the exhaust air not just chucking it out still warmed with your expensive fuel.

I agree totally that the whole insulation business is full of contradictions and seems to be thought up on the hoof.

Exactly what I have in 2 buiilt in wardrobes.  The 3rd. has a tube heater and no damp in that one, I'll be buying 2 more tube heaters  for  them.   I bought the first tube from these people. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Heating_Index/Tubular_Heaters/index.html

Stu it makes me laugh that we need to use such a system as the goverment make us make our houses all nice and air tight to save energy yet the knock on effect is condensation and dampness. Put double glazing in to stop drafts then fit trickle vents. Its utter madness :angry: Am i right in thinking that the system just basically changes the air in the house for you just like leaving the windows open a crack.

Yes and no. It uses the loft space as the fresh air supply, which is preheated air, and feeds that into the house via a filter system, so the house has positive ventilation. I understand the systems are custom designed for the house, as well as user-customisable - like being able to add a heater to the air that is being fed in for example...

Simple description from my mates website here  :t-up:

All you need are a couple of cheap white plastic 9" square MAP vents, one at low level and one at high level.

These will promote a bit of air flow through the wardrobe, thats all you need to control condensation/mildew, air flow.

Some years ago when I travelled on business regularly to the Middle East I was always puzzled by hotel bedroom wardrobes fitted with 100w lamps that had no control switch, I eventually asked and was told because of the constant high humidity this prevented clothes becoming mouldy.

When we moved to our present house the kitchen cupboards shelves were becoming mouldy, I bought a thermo hygrometer as windows and sills every winter morning required drying out and the humidity was 75/80%. Modern windows no longer have air vents which were a building regs requirement some years ago and most  20/30 year modern houses with concrete block/render/plaster internal walls now with new windows will  have condensation problems. I bought a £150 dehumidifier, set it to medium 55% and could not keep up with emptying the container, Luckily it had a constant drainage plastic hose attachment so I stuck it on the utility room worktop with the pipe in the sink and  as all the doors in the house are usually always open has sorted all our problems.  I switched it on yesterday and it will stay on until the Spring, it also filters the air which may be why we have had less coughs and colds the past few years.  

I've ordered the cupboard heaters for the time being. I've also found a local company to come and do a no obligation site survey for a piv system but it'll be next year before funding allows for that.

Thanks for the advice so far