What could cause this

dombanks

don't forget as well the switch was jammed half on/off. they tried to turn it off one day and the pull cord jammed and it was left like that. so couple this together with a loose connection.

is there a better switch to use? this one is just in the corner of the bathroom? maybe i should consider putting one on the wall outside or something? although there isnt much space and it would be a massive ball ache? there is a cupboard next to the bathroom so i could put one in there similar to how a cooker switch is often in a cupboard??

I reckon you had a romantic bath time setting and left a large candle under the pull switch......

.......or did the plumber look the wrong way whilst holding lighted blow lamp in the wrong hand?

I was under the impression that there is/was a move back to radial supplies. ???

Flies or similar in the fitting

I think this is a pretty good guess.

We had a workshop light that was pretty similar. Insects were attracted to the little indicator bulb and managed to get inside the fitting. When enough of them got in there they started to short. Weird burning smell as the little fellas roasted for a couple of days then a big bang when it finally shorted completely.

Not heard any of the Sparky's we work with talking about that, is it a recent rumour/development?

It was mentioned by a lecturer when i went on a 17 edt update course some while back.  I dont work in the  installation side tho so dont keep abreast of the latest developments but  he seemed very well informed at the time.

I'll ask around next time we've got the sparky's on site.

I know radial circuits are recommended for specific circumstances, but Ive not heard of any move away from ring I too will ask.

Once you get any arching at that sort of current or damp then it will quickly burn as you can see. Once you get arching the carbon exacerbates the issue. If a switch sticks in the on or off position then this tell you there is a problem. Normally its because the contacts have burned together. This can be from inductive load.

Lucky there wasn't a serious fire, the switch should have been replaced when it first went faulty after isolating it at the board mcb, should be a single supply anyway so wouldn't affect anything else. The agent was maybe a little ill advised to suggest that a jammed on double pole switch was ok to use.  With the advent of larger and larger power shower units there must also be plenty of units being fed by the old 6mm cable. 10mm cable is a bit of a b*gger to pull through but needed when you uprate.

No major harm done though

Bob :)

Lucky there wasn't a serious fire, the switch should have been replaced when it first went faulty after isolating it at the board mcb, should be a single supply anyway so wouldn't affect anything else. The agent was maybe a little ill advised to suggest that a jammed on double pole switch was ok to use.  With the advent of larger and larger power shower units there must also be plenty of units being fed by the old 6mm cable. 10mm cable is a bit of a b*gger to pull through but needed when you uprate.

No major harm done though

indeed, yes it was ill advised. i had a go at the agency and unsurprisingly they are denying any knowledge of the conversation, no major harm done luckily.

it has the right cable 7strand 10mm2 (there was a chunk in the box of tools i took round that i cut off when removing the charred bits) and is on its own supply direct from the fuse box via a 45A mcb and separate RCD.

does anyone know if you have to have a pull cord or can you fit an isolating switch outside the bathroom?

Straight switch change should sort as you have done.

Unusual for an agent to say leave it but you never know, in some case who is playing who against whom. Grammatically wrong I guess but hope you get my drift. I did have a mouse once dancing on the contacts of a central heating boiler and tripping out the whole house that took a bit of finding. Only when I spotted the tunnel in the insulation did it become apparent what was happening. The mouse survived that one, no animals were hurt in the making of that episode, but later succumbed to a mouse trap. Haha.

Mice. I remember a little story about a mouse. A customer rang a reported a printer wasn't working. (Dot matrix, years before laser or inkjets).

Engineer turned up and found a mouse had chewed through the ribbon cable. He cleared out the mess and fitted a new ribbon cable. This was chargeable as the maintenance contracts didn't cover damage from rodents.

The customer refused to pay as he cliamed it should be covered by the maintenace contract. 

After a few months HM sent him a credit note......

..... and an invoice for rent for the mouse.

I thought that modern regs prohibited the fitting of the switch within the same room as the shower these days due to potential dampness in th atmosphere?

My daughter has an isolater outside the bathroom. I always get told off for forgetting to switch it off when I leave the bathroom.

I thought that modern regs prohibited the fitting of the switch within the same room as the shower these days due to potential dampness in th atmosphere?

dunno but ill soon find out as i need new tenants in dec so another safety cert will need to be done ... chuffin rip off but  there you go needs must.

it does surprise me that it doesn't need to be in some sort of IP66 box tho.