What could cause this

dombanks

This is the shower pull cord from my house. Before I give the back story I would like people's guesses at to what caused this. Ill tell the back info after so not to cloud people's judgement..

E419A86C-88EC-4A40-9366-AFD4F7A5EDEA-339

All of the above but either loose connection generates heat and makes connection even looser than before generating more heat and so on. or as said cable no man enough for the job.......min size depending on length of run is I think ( not up vto latest regs) 6mm2 but 10mm should cover all options.

• Like 1

Was it only running a shower. Looking at the top part has someone taken a spur for a heater or elctric take off point? That would put serious current through especially if it was on whilst also running the shower.

Paul

If that was running an electric shower then those wires are underrated. More like lighting wire.

As above, most likely cause is a loose connection, seen it many times in my day job.

These can be tricky things to connect up if you don't take some care being celing mounted and using thicker cable especially when screwing it back onto its back box.

If that was running an electric shower then those wires are underrated. More like lighting wire.

The wires that you can see are for the tell-tale neon. No power cables in the shot.

Don't ask me why but somehow these terminal connections on the ring mains become loose, it can also be caused by water and condensation ingress in the roof or cavity walls. My brother in law had problems with his power sockets recently, my meter indicated power on live and neutral, took all the socket covers off and 50% of the screws were loose, problem solved. The wires referred to are the indicator light and the pull cord.