No longer wanted: My first Westie

Quinten

looks nice but i wouldnt want to do 400 miles in january with no screen :-) :yes:

Asked the seller about the cold starting issue and his reply was

I don't believe that there is a problem as such.

Because the car has carburettors with no choke - you have to pump the throttle before starting, and feather the throttle as you start the car. I am never quite sure what the best way is. If you give too much throttle there is too much fuel, too little and I guess there is not enough air. I don't think there is a problem with the electronic ignition as there is no issue while the car is running,and the map is the original from when Raw Engineering fitted the CAMS & carburetors.

Once warm the car will start on the button with a slight press of the throttle.

Perhaps on a rolling road the jetting could be improved for starting, and they could check the ignition map.

When I got a quote for rolling road work it looked like 1-2 hours @ £70/hour at somewhere like www.john-sleath.com/

I wish NMS would have a look in ;)

Won in it's class in 2009 Westfield Speed Series with Paul Morcom driving, before he upgraded to a new car and sold this one to me.

Paul is still a regular member on this forum and posts under his real name :) it might be worth sending him a PM to see what he can tell you about his old car :)

Edit to add: here's his original for sale advert for it :)

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/74844-seiw-toyota-1600-16v/?p=744027

Asked the seller about the cold starting issue and his reply was

I wish NMS would have a look in ;)

Thats normal for twin carbed cars with Webers / Dellortos. They dont use chokes and pumping the throyyle before starting is the usual procedure

Thats normal for twin carbed cars with Webers / Dellortos. They dont use chokes and pumping the throyyle before starting is the usual procedure

Thanks John, reading his reply that's exactly what he said too...  I guess electronic ignition does not take care of this at all?

I'm seeing another Westie tomorrow...

No. But mapped electronic ignition can make other elements of starting easier if it's highly tuned, otherwise it's just better running that it gives.

As John said, it's not common to see these types of carbs with any sort of choke hooked up. So there's no fuel enrichment whent cold starting. Three (or on some systems four) pumps of the throttle before starting basically gives you three or four squirts of petrol into the engine, to give you that richer mix.

Thanks Dave, I'm learning new things (including things I've never had to deal with ;)) every single day!  What are your thoughts about this 4AGE engine compared to say a (silvertop) 2L Zetec?  Or the C20XE Vauxhall red top equivalent?

It's a cracking engine and an excellent engine in a seven type car. Partly this is down to one of its key differences from the other engines you mention. It's smaller and hence lighter. 

In conjunction with a nice reasonably lightweight style seven, they can be ballistically quick, and because they're carting less mass around, it's beneficial when it comes to braking, cornering etc.

The other engines are all perfectly fine and in one case, an absolute classic, engines ( ;) ), but it doesn't lead to a different character of car.

I'm afraid it really is  a personal preference thing on this one! Oh, and RAW are one of the leaders in the field when it comes to rear drive conversions with the Toyota unit. (And if the Toyota is anything like the new Honda I'm working on, when you look inside the engine, it makes the Ford and Vauxhall stuff look rough and primitive :down: ) 

Cheers again!  I must admit that I'm kinda liking the idea of the 4AGE engine...  Just wasn't sure about the rest of the car...  Cosmetically it has seen better days, but if I remember correctly, someone was offering a full new body on here.... ;)

Our esteemed club secretary, David Hussey, is one to speak to about the 4AGE engine, IIRC.

(Though possibly not this weekend ;) )

• Like 1

Just returned from seeing http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/westfield/all-models/2003-westfield-sei-widebody/1792558 but contrary to advertised it was such a tight squeeze for my legs underneath the dash that I left after 5 minutes again.  Shame, cos it looked the part in dark blue...

Easily sorted with a removable steering wheel boss or a spacer normally.

I am 6'4" and fit in mine easily

SAM_1425.jpg

No, this time it wasn't the steering wheel, but the dash seemed lower and my knees sat against the bottom of the dash, unable to move.  But I do like the removable steering wheel option :)

Quinten, did you not how high the seat squab was? If it can be lowered it may have solved the problem.

The seats appeared to be on runners, but the back of the seats were firmly against the back of the cockpit.  The seller, how ever nice he was, didn't seem to clue-ed up on the Westie tech side though...  Guess he's a bit like me, only wants to drive it :d

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.