No longer wanted: My first Westie

Quinten

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your post.  Of course I have seen your advert, I check the section about 37 times a day hoping one is listed that suits me :)

I will be driving it 400 miles a week so you can appreciate that I would like to opt for an easy life.  My mechanical knowledge is of the very limited variety (I did my first oil change 3 months ago, and that's as far as my skills go ;)) and although I am keen to learn, I'd not like to get too much on my plate in one go.

Q.

Might be a slight stretch budget wise, but I just replied to a similar thread as I am thinking of selling mine.... Only just thinking at the moment so not put a full advert together. Let me know if you want more details.....

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/104266-road-legal-but-predominantly-track-spec-widebody-westfield-wanted/

Hi Mat,

I'll keep it in mind. It's indeed out of budget and I feel that I should first try to find my perfect match, before I start to go down the compromise route.

Guys, I need some advice. I've spoken to the owner of this Westie and it is still available, but it is currently SORNed. Testdrives will therefore be limited to a 1st/2nd gear run up and down the local private road. Owner has been running it every 6-8 weeks but has not been driving it for any long distances. The engine is a 2L Zetec which can apparently suffer from sticky valves (I'm no mechanic, so please correct me if I am quoting the wrong things). Am I letting myself in a world of hurt? The oil was changed to 0W30 around 60 miles ago, and the original miles on the engine is around the 90K miles.

I've agreed with the seller that I would call him back with regards to a viewing, but are there any other questions I should be asking?

Quentin, can you ask someone who knows which way's up to go with you?

• Like 1

Quentin - looks a nice car, hope you fit in. Can anyone up north help Quentin ???

Quentin, can you ask someone who knows which way's up to go with you?

Quentin - looks a nice car, hope you fit in. Can anyone up north help Quentin ???

Ideally someone from the area is able to help out, although I suppose someone who knows their engines is able to comment on my post too. From what I've found on Google is that the silvertop Zetec sticky valves issue is only due to using the wrong viscosity oil and is more or less resolved using the correct grade 5W30.

I've arranged for a viewing at 11am on Saturday morning, so if someone fancies tagging along, the coffee/tea/beer/biscuits are on me ;)

Quinten, just my two pennies worth but the zetec is a reliable engine that found its way into a car or two. I run a 2ltr zetec that is sorn'd for the winter and she always seems to fire up at the first time of asking.

The car looks quite nice by the way and probably good for the money. Not enough spec mentioned in the ad tho.

Quinten, just my two pennies worth but the zetec is a reliable engine that found its way into a car or two. I run a 2ltr zetec that is sorn'd for the winter and she always seems to fire up at the first time of asking.

The car looks quite nice by the way and probably good for the money. Not enough spec mentioned in the ad tho.

That's reassuring to know. What sort of spec do you find is missing?

Would be worth enquiring about:

What sort of sump (shortened?)

Suspension

Carburettors

Brand of tyres (+tread depth)

Still, looks a good car/price regardless, subject to a viewing imo  :yes:

• Like 1

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.