Just joined and about to order a FW Zetec Kit - any advice greatly received.

Lee Savage

I would definitely recomend reading Kev Todman's blog, I was lucky enough to buy the car he built and am very impressed with the attention to detail and build quality. There are some really good photos on the blog as well.

Enjoy the build

Chris

I'm building an FW Zetec at the moment, few things I have noted -

If you plan to keep it once built, I would not get the factory to powdercoat the chassis. Some seem to come out good other like mine don't. I would take it somewhere local that has a good reputation - my new one I took elsewhere is miles better.

If you are buying a full kit, make sure you buy all the bits you want at the start. If you upgrade the brakes for example they take off the price of the standard ones so the upgrade costs less than doing it after.

Theres loads of upgrades I didn't know about when I had mine- I don't remember seeing an 'options' list  - Like AP racing master cylinder/nylon bushes/widetrack front suspension/Hi spec/AP calipers.

Buy a right angle drill or attachment for the normal drill. You wont drill some of the holes without!

Drill the holes for the wiring loom before you do anything - if you fit the panels first it makes it difficult to get the drill into some of the positions after like down the tunnel.

Buy some new tools if you don't have enough - torque wrench/rivet gun/compressor/nutsert tool. 4.1mm drill bits! 

Enjoy it.

Buy some new tools if you don't have enough.

can never have enough tools :d

hi i built a fw kit last year ,iam in goathland if you need any help /info ,i also have a engine leveler if you would like to lend it ,also buy a air riveret ,and enjoy your build ,also put west field on freinds and family ?

• Like 1