Just joined and about to order a FW Zetec Kit - any advice greatly received.

Lee Savage

Lee, when Martin emails you a list of events, wait an hour or two for the correction to dates to come. :) (Sorry Martin, I just couldn't resist).

I don't know why when you are in France and I am in Yorkshire, you couldn't resist humiliating me.

Oh hang on a minute, it's because you are in France and I am in Yorkshire :laugh:  :laugh:

Dates are all fine now Lee.

Rory's Dad

No Martin, it's because I think all members have a sense of humour. :)

Anyone know where to get hold of any build manuals (pre Westfield order)??

Ask for a copy, I did and got an extra one early. Find some build blogs, they can help. I also did a build blog, I found doing the blog helped my build, as well as others.

I would try and update my blog after each time I worked on the car, writing up my experiences helped me see issues in a different light, its amazing how many times I would come in with a problem, I would then explain it on my blog and then see the problem in a different light. As they say a problem shared is problem halved.

Talk to others about the spec they can give the pros and cons, it helped me finalize my spec.

Most of all enjoy the experience and be prepared for upgradeituse, my wife thought buying  the kit would be the end, it was only the start. 

Good luck

Thanks for the tips. Im trying to avoide scope creep but think its inevitable !

What spec did you go for?

Best thing I did was read Kev Todman's blog and number of times and then Rhett's and Paul & Joe's plus maintain one of my own.  These, plus the forums and excellent support from Mark Walker at the Factory allowed me with limited and dated mechanical knowledge to build the car in 5 months and pass the IVA 1st time.  If I were doing it again I would seek out the local WSCC group and attend meetings while building the car as their help during the 1st year of ownership has also been very helpful.

Here's the link to my blog which has the links to Kev's, Rhett's, the Bromleys' and also Rene's blogs on the top RHS  http://2js-westfield-build.blogspot.co.uk/

All FW Zetecs with a range of options such as Jenvey TBs, Front & Rear ARB, Hi-Spec callipers, RAC Roll Bar, whiskers, 1/2 hoods etc 

Enjoy the build and look forward to next summer being long & dry.......

The best tip was Gadgetmans - the photo's I took at the factory were invaluable, as were a member's who kindly sent me a disc with all his.

I also followed Kevin's blog, more than the manual. On that note don't follow the manual blindly, use it as a guide and read ahead. It is not perfect.

If others haven't sorted you out pm your email and I'll send you some manuals.

I paid the factory to fit my panels and solid fuel and brake lines. I call it money well spent, you might want to do it yourself.

Upgrade to a braced roll bar. The standard one is held on by two bolts only.

Enjoy it. I did.

Doug

Another think to keep in mind. Buying and building a kit is something we do for the fun of it! It's not a cheap way to get a car, (actually one of the dearer ones).

Try not to forget that the build should be fun. Of course there'll be frustrating moments, but don't turn it in to a second job. Know when to walk away and get some perspective. No matter how much you want to be done and on the road now, you will look back and miss this time, once you have finished.

To avoid over whelming yourself, it can help to break it down into lots of little tasks.

This can also make planning what materials you need for the weekend task(s) easier.

Don't be afraid if one task seems to be a real struggle and you're getting nowhere fast, to swap to another, simpler task, one that is quick and simple to do; this can lift your spirits back up again and spur you on to do the tricky parts.

Link for build manuals http://www.manikllc.com/manuals/ - I found some of the old ones far more informative than the one supplied by Westfield.  Rhett also has some very good guides that he produced, especially for the Zetec installation.

Gadgetman's advice is excellent, I often spent a couple of frustrating hours try to do something only to return after a break and then sort it straight away.

Guys

Your tips are fab thanks. Also are your blogs. They are going to be invaluable.

Copy's of photos on CDs sounds a good idea as the blogs rely on Internet access.

Nice one chaps.

Jon, your blog is great, thanks.

As Dave says, take lots of photos, or poss better short videos as I find the bit I want to see is just out of shot!!!!

Enjoy the build

Andy

I have a few build manuals I can let you have either hard copy or email if you send your address. Tips are easy. Read Rhett's blog and johnjh's and you wont go far wrong. PM me if you have any problems. Oh and make sure you have the whole kit :t-up:

Another think to keep in mind. Buying and building a kit is something we do for the fun of it! It's not a cheap way to get a car, (actually one of the dearer ones).

Try not to forget that the build should be fun. Of course there'll be frustrating moments, but don't turn it in to a second job. Know when to walk away and get some perspective. No matter how much you want to be done and on the road now, you will look back and miss this time, once you have finished.

To avoid over whelming yourself, it can help to break it down into lots of little tasks.

This can also make planning what materials you need for the weekend task(s) easier.

Don't be afraid if one task seems to be a real struggle and you're getting nowhere fast, to swap to another, simpler task, one that is quick and simple to do; this can lift your spirits back up again and spur you on to do the tricky parts.

Absolutely spot on Dave.

Having built my own everything in Dave's post is so true, and I had my problems along the way. But it is the best way to obtain a Westfield IMO, as you know absolutely everything about the car by the time you have completed it.

Build threads really help, both in making you see things clearly and getting great advice. Mine is linked in my signature below, although a Mazda SDV, I am sure there are several similarities

My initial spec did'nt include heater, RAC roll bar or ARBs in the end I went for them all, the heater makes it more usable in spring an autumn plus later in the summer evenings without shivering. The ARBs are easier to fit during the build, only trouble with them is there is a lot of conflicting info about which are best or worst, I do like it with them though (Westfield ones), I damaged the front one on a track day (better than taking the sump off, but that's a different story) and I could tell the difference. I am also very glad I didn't stick to the standard puny roll over bar, I went for the RAC bar, had I been building today I would have probably gone for the new MSA approved one (or the playskool one of similar) though they are more difficult to fit.

Enjoy

Rhett