musicals

Norman Verona

Just watched a piece on West Side Story, which is on tour.

When the film first came out we all went to see it 7 nights on the trot. It was fantastic and just hit that spot for the post war boom babies.

I have 4 different recordings of it.

Having said all that, I basically don't like musicals, full orchestras striking up from nowhere, the characters bursting into song and dance in the middle of a street or an office, restaurant seems to me to be a bit sureal.

West Side Story surpasses all this, it just doesn't matter. The other musical I love is Funny Girl, which is all about a music hall singer so most of it fits. Streisland at her vey best.

So, what's your favourite?

Miss Saigon blew me away when we saw it years ago.  Probably my favourite, but I don't think I've seen a duff one and I've seen several of the big shows over the years.

And for sheer energy, the Louis Jordan based '5 Guys Named Moe'. Saw it when we were given a pair of £1 tickets through the MOD - usually they would hand out these tickets for slow selling shows or ones coming to the end of a run, so we didn't know what to expect.  They turned out to be front of stalls tickets in a full house and I've never seen such amazing dancing and energy.  You just couldn't keep still.  Fabulous and all for  two quid!

As Norman said

"I basically don't like musicals"

Although been to a couple. I didn't have the feelings other people did and thought it was rubbish, no story line, no acting and no depth. Then there's films, Grease, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Mary Poppins and the like... Some of which I found entertaining as a child. Would these be included in this subject?

Or am I just uncultured ???

I enjoyed Oliver and Jesus Christ Superstar at the theatre in my teens. I wouldn't rush to see another musical though and I really dislike 'musical' episodes on TV or films. Something like The Sound of Music makes me want to hurt myself.

Les Mis is quite spectacular and moving, I'd see that in the West End again.  Return to the Forbidden Planet is amusing with the right cast, lots of great music in that.  Apart from that on musicals, not for me generally, would much prefer to go see something locally at the RST, very lucky to have it nearby, have seen some wonderful things there.

Piece of trivia - West Side Story was originally going to be called East Side Story, but was changed just because they felt it sounded better.

(Non-musical piece of trivia about the film "Krakatoa - East of Java" - Krakatoa is actually west of Java.  Oops.)

Something like The Sound of Music makes me want to hurt myself.

I'll buy that.  For a bunch of people who don't want to be found by the Nazis, they sure do make a lot of noise while hiding.  Even better, at the end of the film, they end up geopgraphically pretty damn close to Hitler's mountain hideaway, "The Eagle's Nest" - talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire.  Makes me wonder if Julie Andrews' character was a double agent for the Germans.

Any film filled with revolting children who can all sing and dance perfectly at the drop of a hat such as tSoM, Oliver, Annie ad infinitum, ad naseum should only used as torture devices to elicit information and confessions.

(Non-musical piece of trivia about the film "Krakatoa - East of Java" - Krakatoa is actually west of Java.  Oops.)

QI Viewer by any chance? :d

QI Viewer by any chance? :d

Was that on QI?  Didn't know that!  Actually, I looked it up because Monty Python did a piece where they said, "Krakatoa - East of Leamington", so living in Leamington and being a pedant, I looked it up as well as where Java was.

Java is on most computers, I thought. :)

I totally agree with Norman. Amazing, isn't it? ???

Like you, Norman, I have more than one recording, but only two: the soundtrack and the recording with Kiri te Kanawa et al. It was based on a damned good yarn by Bill Wagstaff, of course.

For what it's worth, the difficulty with starting due to the engine fighting the starter can be eased by spinning the engine with the ignition off (by way of a separate switch), and when the flywheel is turning briskly, connect al la vintage aircraft and it should overcome the firing resistance and start normally. It's really only a problem when the cranking speed is low. With mine I give it ten to twelve pumps of the throttle and then crank it with no accelerator until it starts to fire (it cranks faster) - then floor it until it catches - usually straight away.

This is going to be a musical with quite limited appeal. ;):d

For what it's worth, the difficulty with starting due to the engine fighting the starter can be eased by spinning the engine with the ignition off (by way of a separate switch), and when the flywheel is turning briskly, connect al la vintage aircraft and it should overcome the firing resistance and start normally. It's really only a problem when the cranking speed is low. With mine I give it ten to twelve pumps of the throttle and then crank it with no accelerator until it starts to fire (it cranks faster) - then floor it until it catches - usually straight away.

That's yer problem...timing.  On this thread it would be as follows:

Side together side together kick turn kick turn and take a bow.  Try that and you'll be just faaaabulous darling. :d  :d  :d

I think MOTCO is running round trying to catch me to finish off a conversation from tech talk. :)

I have those plus two orchestral records. Bill did indeed write a good story set in Verona. Len and Steve did a good job with the music and Lyrics.

I read somewhere that the film changed for ever the way we saw musicals. Certainly influenced me and the music choices I made thereafter.