Lane hogging fines

WestyNottm

Before my daughter made her first motorway journey, I took her out to the local motorway, and she drove up a couple of junctions coming off and on at the first to get her used to the getting on a off bit and then when we went past a junction coming back up I made sure I pointed out the issues of cars leaving and coming on the motorway. I timed it so it was not too busy but there was enough traffic for her to experience using all of the lanes etc.  

From feeling really nervous before we started she felt fine travelling on the motorway afterwards.

this should be the minimum someone experience before travelling alone on a motorway.  

How close do you have to be to be deemed as Tailgating?  seems there are no definable distances.   It's all going to subject to the Police Officers opinion.  Even with video evidence the type of lens used on a camera often foreshortens distances.

Hogging the overtaking lanes and using phones whilst driving I agree with the increased fines.

i would have thought the 2 second rule would cover it though in theory you should leave enough space so you can come to a stop incase the car in front crashed but thats just never going to happen. the problem with leaving a safe gap is that you can guarantee that someone will pull into it so you then have to slow down to get your gap back. 

yes norm i know it is but this law will be there long after the current shower of **** in whitehall move out ...

i can never fathom why people crawl onto motorways at 40/50 mph its one of my pet hates along with the hoggers. you can celarly see the trafic moving faster and people jumping out of the lane to give you space. luckily both my cars are pretty quick so when i do get stuck behind one which forces me to join slow i can get up to speed quick.

quite often i will hold back a little if i can to give myself time/space on the slip to get up to speed. you only need to match the cars at the bottom so if busy its not much faster than 60/65 anyway.

i did the pass plus but i had also done alot of dual carriagway driving and it was very useful. i still use the technique the guy taught me now.

i would have thought the 2 second rule would cover it though in theory you should leave enough space so you can come to a stop incase the car in front crashed but thats just never going to happen. the problem with leaving a safe gap is that you can guarantee that someone will pull into it so you then have to slow down to get your gap back.

I find people always squeeze into the gap I leave, usually inches from the Westfield's nose cone!!! They get some abuse!!! Why I have twin air horns. Even being bright yellow I'm not seen.

I did a lot of dual carriageway, every lesson I would do 8-12 miles then onto A roads, back along B roads and housing estates. If a good run I'd have spare time for more parking and manoeuvres.

Not quite on topic, but how I was taught to reverse into a space at the side of the road stayed with me and I still use it 14yrs on. Mrs C often tells me to park. Same as reversing into a parking space, use exact same way as I did on my test! Same as mirrors every 6-10 seconds! My instructor would say "what colour is the car behind the car behind?" If I had to look to check then he'd say I wasn't paying enough attention to my surroundings.

Was going to make a comment on this one when I get home but it seems appropriate now. I have long thought that motorway and general road driving standards have fallen over the years. I also thought that the US freeway approach would be better - but after seeing the exploits of our US cousins I have changed my mind. I have seen numerous instances of p*** poor lane discipline and cars alongside each other for miles. Would like to think that the old adage of keeping left and not lane hogging would do but somehow I don't think so. Currently 1700 miles into our trip and no answer to the driving standards we put up with every day. Sadly they seem to home in on the speeders as the only sinners (don't agree) but common sense and may I say courtesy are very rare occurances these days.

Bob in Montana

The tailgating issue would go away if we were all allowed to use which ever lane we wished to get past. We have had several cases where our drivers have had complaints against them, when we viewed to footage from the cameras, one individual went over ten miles in the outside lane of the A12 and had over 20 opportunities to pull in safely but did not. After almost 12 miles she undertook as did many of the cars following.

The driver complained that our driver had broken the law as it was their RIGHT to drive in that lane as he felt it unsafe to go in and out of the traffic.

I hope they use this hard on those morons who selfishly reduce dual carriageway to a single lane

May be wrong but I thought that passing on the inside was no longer an offence. I recall the traffic guys complaining that it was no longer an offence and how stupid it was to let people pass on the inside.

Dom, but the other shower are the same. Doing what's right for us isn't on their radar, keeping their jobs is the only thing that matters to them.

May be wrong but I thought that passing on the inside was no longer an offence. I recall the traffic guys complaining that it was no longer an offence and how stupid it was to let people pass on the inside.

norman we went over this last time. It is an offence to undertake if you do a manoeuvre to do so. If your already in the inside lane and the outside lane is going slower then your fine.

Needs to be 'slow queuing' traffic when left lane moves faster than right to undertake (legally!).

Phil, sorry, I had a feeling that was it and was going to say so but my "gobbo" mix was going off and I needed to get back outside.

You'll just have to be patient with a doddering old grumpy man. You'll be like me in about 30 years.

Was going to make a comment on this one when I get home but it seems appropriate now. I have long thought that motorway and general road driving standards have fallen over the years. I also thought that the US freeway approach would be better - but after seeing the exploits of our US cousins I have changed my mind. I have seen numerous instances of p*** poor lane discipline and cars alongside each other for miles. Would like to think that the old adage of keeping left and not lane hogging would do but somehow I don't think so. Currently 1700 miles into our trip and no answer to the driving standards we put up with every day. Sadly they seem to home in on the speeders as the only sinners (don't agree) but common sense and may I say courtesy are very rare occurances these days.

Bob in Montana

greetings montana bob

Phil, sorry, I had a feeling that was it and was going to say so but my "gobbo" mix was going off and I needed to get back outside.

You'll just have to be patient with a doddering old grumpy man. You'll be like me in about 30 years.

Don't forget you still owe me £65 :d