Top Gear

AidanPlace

Did we have any cars in the final segment on the Mall?

A bit of a shame that. Westfield must be one of the largest-by-volume British owned car companies.

I would have thought that kits wouldn't count, factory built would. Morgan & Caterham would come well above with factory built cars.

A bit of an anomaly. A few years ago I was told by the MD of Caterham that they were making 600 a year. However the SMMT figures showed just over 400. The difference was the 200 race cars which were never registered. A lot of these are for export.

It was an excellent article and sensibly presented by Clarkson. How they got permission to line them all up in Pall Mall is a bit baffling. Well done to the production team who did it.

I would have thought that kits wouldn't count, factory built would. Morgan & Caterham would come well above with factory built cars.

A bit of an anomaly. A few years ago I was told by the MD of Caterham that they were making 600 a year. However the SMMT figures showed just over 400. The difference was the 200 race cars which were never registered. A lot of these are for export.

It was an excellent article and sensibly presented by Clarkson. How they got permission to line them all up in Pall Mall is a bit baffling. Well done to the production team who did it.

Are Caterham still UK owned? I thought they had been bought by Team Lotus/Caterham whatever tehy call themselves with Malaysian money.

As for permission for the line-up in the Mall:  the London Mayor's office are actually very helpful when it comes to arranging special filming set-ups.  I suspect it was done on a Sunday morning to minimise the disturbance.

I was more impressed that they got permission to drive the F1 cars around Milton Keynes (assuming they actually got permission!)

And yes - a very good feature. Top marks to all involved.

I thought I caught the back of a white FW in one of the drive past shots.

Not forgetting David Cameron is one of Jezza's Chipping Norton mates, which would have helped...

according to someone on Blatchat, they spotted a Westfield in there but didn't see any Caterhams.... :laugh:

I thought I caught the back of a white FW in one of the drive past shots.

you did yes a white fw was spotted in there by myself to

bhouse, most of the vehicles there are not UK owned. The point was they are made in Britain

It was agreat finale to the series and one which, as it is shown in every country but France according to the map they used, will show the world what we build in this country.

What it should also shown to those who hate cars, is just what the economy of UK would be without them in terms of employment, tax take from the manufacturing to fuel they use.

But whilst that is a good situation we still need much more in the UK. All the big factories are so robotised that they do not employ as many as before. We need tax breaks to help smaller labour intensive manufacturers thrive.

In the 70's and 80's every bit of clothing that was sold in M&S was made in the UK. In Barnsley SR Gents employed hundreds of women who made quality clothes that British Women wanted, now everything is made in the sweatshops in the Far East and India. They are the sort of manufacturers we need back to get employment up.

As for the Jag, the noise that made was just perfect, a no apologies car that will sell by the truckload.

• Like 1

The problem with the Jag is the price tag. The car has been in the major car mags for a few months now and that was their uniform opinion. Jaguar do like to shoot themselves in the foot while on the verge of success though!

Overall a fantastic episode. Many seem to have enjoyed the last few, but they didn't work for me. Loved that though. Perfect ending that left me wanting more. It is somewhat amusing that the BBC thought they would put the Das Auto thing afterward though! I've recorded that for this evening.

Jeff, agreed. However, if Mr Smith sells a widget for 10p and Mr Jones sells the same thing for 7p the world will buy from Mr Jones.

We need to understand this and concentrate on the stuff that Mr Jones doesn't make. I think we do this well, mainly in sophisticated engineering manufacture.

Anyone can drop forge a spanner, but not everyone can, or wants to, make a sophisticated valve for an oil drilling rig.

Maybe I should have called Mr Jones Mr Wu.

I was more impressed that they got permission to drive the F1 cars around Milton Keynes (assuming they actually got permission!)

They filmed it last Sunday and closed a few roads in the centre for the day.  I had to catch a train and when I jumped out of the taxi I could hear F1 cars so went and had a look. The "other traffic" was all part of the filming, obviously. 

Nice piece, really enjoyed it.