"Another newbie"buying advice sought

Jmanji

thx guys for the advice but looks like i am short of wonga for this car, but i did just see this on ebay, was thinking it could be a good price for a beginner, i did call him up and it sounds ok, the only thing i though was that it does not have a lsd but the other type,,,

can anyone tell me if this car is worth a punt????

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WESTFIELD-BLUE-1800-zetec-/271232484378?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f26b7441a

Hi Paul,

Initially put it up for sale looking for a replacement and withdrew the add but ended up having to put it back up for sale to raise some funds for a business venture.  Apologies if the for sale thread is a little confusing. It is for sale.

As others have said, driving it down would be fantastic fun (well depends on the weather!!)

I do however, have a covered trailer (also for sale) so could assist with delivery etc if needed.

The price in the advert says ono so the price is not a hard and fast 7.5k but in the same vain, isn't 5k unfortunately. Make me an offer if you can and you won't be disappointed but I understand that the initial asking price is 50% above your budget.

If you buy a lower spec car for 5k I guarantee you will spend more than the difference upgrading it within the first couple of years so spending more is prudent in this case! :laugh:

Cheers,

Dave

hey dave thank you very much for the advice but i am not really able this week to meet near the price you are after, perhaps i could in a week or two, but then i go away on my holidays, i have seen this westfield on ebay please can you tell me if its worth a punt,,,

Posted Today, 03:48 PM

thx guys for the advice but looks like i am short of wonga for this car, but i did just see this on ebay, was thinking it could be a good price for a beginner, i did call him up and it sounds ok, the only thing i though was that it does not have a lsd but the other type,,,

can anyone tell me if this car is worth a punt? ???

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f26b7441a

If its not perhaps I could make a deal with you to hold your car for me as im away for august???

Certainly looks cheap but needs a number of upgrades to take on to track in my opinion (proper roll bar + tyres as a bare minimum).

Tyres would be no more than say £400 or could get some second hand track wheels/tyres for similar money, RAC roll bar can be had for around £150 second hand so not major money for what's needed there.

Can't see the suspension etc clearly enough to see what it's got fitted. Has it been properly set up? Are the springs/dampers suitable for track use?

My main concern with a car I'm intending on taking on track would be the condition of the engine/cooling system etc. Will it cope with track days?

A well prepped track car will have been developed to cope with the heat/forces experienced on a track day or similar and any niggles ironed out.  Sometimes this is cheap but sometimes VERY expensive believe me! I'm perverse in that I actually think a car that has been used as intended is better than one that has been wrapped in cotton wool.  A car that has been used to the odd trip to the shops or out the country lane will be no where near as reliable on track as a car that has been developed and used on track in my opinion.

Lack of LSD bot great if track use intended but again, not ridiculous money to fix that.

Anything is worth a punt at the right price but I'd make sure the seller has history on the car and details of the repairs.  I'm not put off by repaired cars (obviously!) but it's an absolute must that you get photos of the damage etc in my opinion.

That car does kind of explain the points above though.  Even if it goes really cheap , say £4k.  You will quickly be adding to that getting it how you want it and track ready  It quickly adds up. Then you will do as everyone else does, ask how to make it go faster...

One thing I would pick up on though,  I wouldn't entertain a car that the seller can't bothered to write a decent advert.  One of my pet hates.  Only takes 5 mins to detail things clearly and its the detail on these types of cars that is important in my eyes.

Cheers,

Dave

I actually think a car that has been used as intended is better than one that has been wrapped in cotton wool.  A car that has been used to the odd trip to the shops or out the country lane will be no where near as reliable on track as a car that has been developed and used on track in my opinion.

One thing I would pick up on though,  I wouldn't entertain a car that the seller can't bothered to write a decent advert.  One of my pet hates.  Only takes 5 mins to detail things clearly and its the detail on these types of cars that is important in my eyes.

Agreed with the first point :t-up:

And in regard to the 2nd one... There are lots of 'cherished' cars out there that the owners work on at least once a week, know them inside out, and will have taken great care in maintaining. If the car you are looking at is one of these, the owner will be eager to show his pride in the vehicle and a lengthy advert will flow naturally...

And in regard to the 2nd one... There are lots of 'cherished' cars out there that the owners work on at least once a week, know them inside out, and will have taken great care in maintaining. If the car you are looking at is one of these, the owner will be eager to show his pride in the vehicle and a lengthy advert will flow naturally...

Agreed, rightly or wrongly I always look at a car advert like its a CV for the car and owner!

That makes a hell of a lot of sense, you cant beat good advice,,,still tempted but wont be wasting good money,,, will look into financing yours somehow,,,will be in touch

Sorry to say 5k just won't get what you want. With all the very good advise from the members you need to take note and rethink.

Up the money or get something that won't do what you want and you will always be kicking yourself.

You could cancel you hols and put the money towards a car. Daves looks the nuts car to buy from where i'm looking from, or have you bought the one of fleabay?

Terry

Buying a car that fits your needs makes a lot of financial sence

But you miss out on the journey and hours of tinkering, changing and the sense of achievement

I would have loved to build from sctach but the cost would have been too high for me

I bought mine for 5k with a xflow and 4 speed box

Over the winter I fitted an ST 170 motor and 5 speed box and had almost everything in bits :)

Then I've been sprinting this year and loving it :)

I've got a list of upgrades for the winter LSD, shocks

I think owning a Westfield is a journey to enjoy and not just a fast car to buy

But it can be an expensive journey ;)

Jmanji, where are you in Essex? a few of us are dotted around SE Essex, I'm in South Benfleet. Meets and ride outs for us are quite regular,  passenger rides for Westfield enthusiasts are available and you'll get a good idea whats available for your dosh.

I don't see a problem buying a £5k. car, part of the fun is spending time upgrading and fixing things if you have the time and tools. My car was just over £6k when i bought it and have since changed lots of parts to make it my own.

Hi I live in barkingside ilford, would be good to come to ameet and see some of the cars you guys have and perhaps experience a ride in one.

Thx

We lived in Barkingside for the first 14 years of our marriage. Sydney Road to be exact. 

• Like 1

Keep an eye on the Events Forum for Essex meets and WSSC Essex on Facebook.  Our monthly meet was supposed to be on this Sunday but most are off to Brands Hatch to watch the Historic racing. Come along to any event in yer Tin Top, theres always spare passenger seats available.

Hi and welcome.

My fabulous 2004 SEiW 2 litre Pinto is for sale at £6400.  It was on a rolling road near Harrogate June 1st and produced 150bhp.

Finished in Chrome Yellow, it has aeroscreens and an RAC rollbar, 5 speed gearbox and 15" wheels with excellent tyres.

Built by a fastidious WSCC member it has covered less than 4000 miles and has just been Mot'd.  There is even a little tax left on it!

It is absolutely ready to track,  (although I haven't) and I have owned it since 2007, the second owner.  It has an age related plate.

I also have an as-new twin axle trailer for it.  I really want £1200 for that but a deal could be done.

I'm based near Melton Mowbray  -  about 90 mins from the Dartford Crossing  (but less in a Westfield!)

This, I think, would make a superb first buy.

Tony