"Another newbie"buying advice sought

Jmanji

Hi there, im a total beginner, been looking to buy a track/road car the Westfield seems perfect, road use will be to and from track unless I can get the trailer and car for around £5k. Looking to do fun track days with reliability comfort and reasonable running costs but something I would not think was underpowered.

Not sure what to look for exactly, please could someone kindly advise what type I should look at ie engine size, gearbox, LSD and brakes. I know the wider body is preferential but am unsure of anything else, I really don't want to buy the first thing I see but would rather make an informed decision once I know what to look for and what not to look at?

Hope you have the time to help.

Thx

Welcome, you'd better join now as you'll need a lot of help. Not sure what you'll get for that budget but don't hanker after huge power for you first car. A crossflow will seem like the fastest thing on earth. When you've had that for a year or so upgrade it for a Zetec or similar. 

You'll get huge fun from a crossflow or CVH as a first trackday car.

Oops it is in for sale and reads

Westfield SEiW C20XE

Started by chasf42, 01 Jul 2013 08:34 PM

Thx

Welcome to the Forum Jmanji :t-up:

To get you started have a read through the FAQ section of the forum where there are several good articles on the different types of cars, components and some buyers guides.

Here's a couple of examples to get you started :)

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/42064-purchasing-a-westfield/?p=416904

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/46932-buyers-guide/?p=464865

And don't forget to then check out our cars for sale section :cool:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/forum/88-westfields-for-sale/

Myself and Pete (Pistol) are the area organisers for the Essex Region, if you ever have any questions or need advice please feel free to ask either of us and we'd be happy to help if we can.

Mark

• Like 2

Thx very much mark, did look at FAQ but could not find these, will give them a good read

All the best

Paul

I've got just the thing but slightly above your budget.

It will however save you a fortune in the long run if you can stretch to it as it already has all the right track bits on it.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

If you mean THIS, Dave above's car. I would go for it. It's the best value about at the moment. Sell a kidney if you need to but that is one cracking car for the money.

I've got just the thing but slightly above your budget.It will however save you a fortune in the long run if you can stretch to it as it already has all the right track bits on it.Cheers,Dave

Hi Dave your car looks the nuts, I was looking at it yesterday, you probably won't be selling it though will you?

It is well above my budget but as you say it has the bits on it.

Perhaps we could have some type of deal?

Also how would I get it down to essex?

Thx

Paul

Hi Dave your car looks the nuts, I was looking at it yesterday, you probably won't be selling it though will you?

Thx

Paul

drive it :d

drive it :d

MemSec's First Law of Westfield Buying - The amount you desire to purchase a particular Westfield for sale is directly proportional to the distance it is located away from your own home. :d

There have been some epic purchase drives - some of them have even been in the dry! :laugh: (Mine wasn't - the one and only time I've used the weather gear.)

As above - just drive it!  Your stupid grin will be a brilliant umbrella.

The other thing to remember is that by spending a little more now (on whatever car you choose) to get what you really want is FAR better than buying low and spending preposterous amounts swapping engines and doing massive upgrades over a few years.  Just some advice from an old Young. :t-up:

Dave's car is very nice - buy it.... :-)

On the matter of purchase drives my late Father bought a 1923 bull nose morris and drove it home................. from Seville in Spain - took him 13 days

Hi Paul,

Initially put it up for sale looking for a replacement and withdrew the add but ended up having to put it back up for sale to raise some funds for a business venture.  Apologies if the for sale thread is a little confusing. It is for sale.

As others have said, driving it down would be fantastic fun (well depends on the weather!!)

I do however, have a covered trailer (also for sale) so could assist with delivery etc if needed.

The price in the advert says ono so the price is not a hard and fast 7.5k but in the same vain, isn't 5k unfortunately. Make me an offer if you can and you won't be disappointed but I understand that the initial asking price is 50% above your budget.

If you buy a lower spec car for 5k I guarantee you will spend more than the difference upgrading it within the first couple of years so spending more is prudent in this case! :laugh:

Cheers,

Dave

Thx
Paul

If you buy a lower spec car for 5k I guarantee you will spend more than the difference upgrading it within the first couple of years so spending more is prudent in this case! :laugh:

He's right!

Agree with the above and it will be cheaper in the long run if you could aim or a 7k budget

my car started as a £5200 purchase with an 1700xlow, dry sumped and a quaife lsd. it was great on the track and could out corner nearly anything there except other 7 style cars. the trouble was it just didnt have the top end grunt and when on the straights the car infront would just pull away or simply not let you past so when the next corner came you just got frustrated been stuck behind him. when you look at a basic engine swap costing 2k withought any fancy bits you will soon find yourself spending more