Andy Murray

Terry Everall

Well done Murray. I've read via another site he's donating the prize money (1.6million) to cancer research.

If thats true it's a fine gesture

if true then he certainly is not an average sportsman :t-up:

Magnificent effort by the lad to beat a dominant world number one in straight sets at the most prestigious tennis tournament in the world! Find it really sad taht people have to take that away from here, all i see on facebook is people bad mouthing the guy, He's spent a life dedicated to his sport and career, and that work has paid off, really saddens me that people cant just be happy for a man they dont even know :( typical British attitude :down:

• Like 1

Magnificent effort by the lad to beat a dominant world number one in straight sets at the most prestigious tennis tournament in the world! Find it really sad taht people have to take that away from here, all i see on facebook is people bad mouthing the guy, He's spent a life dedicated to his sport and career, and that work has paid off, really saddens me that people cant just be happy for a man they dont even know :( typical British attitude :down:

I am happy for him, he has worked hard but in my mind that is his job. There are people who have dedicated their lives to much more worthy causes and will die poor and unrewarded by a gong for their work.

If you support the honours system and are happy for a man to win a game of tennis and get a gong so be it. Awards should be for being selfless to others. 

He donated his prize the last time he won to charity which is to be admired.

Jeff, I think you simplify the achievement.

He has brought pride to a nation that seems to have somewhat lost its values.  

I feel proud that after 77 years a Brit has won at Wimbledon, probably the most prestigious sports tournament in the world.

I feel proud that our combined rugby team has won down under

I feel proud that a British golfer won something (didn't quite catch what it was)

And all in the same weekend.

Hamilton could have been the cherry on top but he seems to have lost his way.

Now, if I was the PM I'd call a snap election to maximise on the feel good factor. Wilson did in 1966 and he won.

Jeff mate, you mustn't follow any sports I assume as the same sentiment could be said about football, cricket, etc! Have English football commentators mentioned 1966 at least once every blooming time the World Cup tournament comes around! .. that was 46 years ago, mate!

If we all had the same perspective then we wouldn't cheer for anything because .. .. .. they're all just doing their job!

Some people are sore because he's not English.

Some people are sore because they just like to put any success down.

Some people don't care whether he's Scottish, English or Martian .. he's done Great Britain proud. Yep, 'Great' Britain .. let's grow some proud national balls - first Brit in 77 years. Fred Perry would be very proud! Well done, Andy!

Most will not know and Andy Murray never really mentions it but he is very lucky to be alive today after the Dumblane shootings. The children killed at the time were all in the gym at the school and Andy's class were actually walking accross to the gym when the shootings happened.

Rather than just crumble he trained his exceptional talent and has acheived the very top of his chosen discipline - personally I think people who do this deserve awards - he is currently the very best in the world at a very popular game.

His familly were not privaledged and has had to work exceptionally hard to do this - he has not just won a game & TBH that is quite insulting as a remark about any top sportsman, especially individual sports where the dedication required to reach the top is phenominal - most people in life just 'do a job' one in several hundred million are the very best!

I don't know him but everybody that does compliments him and his personality highly - it is the impression he gives during interviews that may make him a bit 'cold' to some people.

Well Done Andy, you have harnessed you talent and made the country proud!

• Like 2

Well said Fraser. Couldn't agree more. :t-up:  :t-up: :t-up:  

• Like 1

Well said Fraser. Couldn't agree more. :t-up::t-up: :t-up:

Definitely

WHY!!!!

For knocking a ball over a net!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe for being the best!?!?

Could you do that?

• Like 1

No I don't follow sport at all. I like motorsport but I am not a fan boy. I never said he had not worked hard and yes his success has made people happy, if you are one of them then great.

But the histeria for this imho is as usual over the top. I don't know him but as I said the fact that he has donated winnings in the past marks him above many of the other sportsmen that people admire.

If my comments are seen as insulting I am sorry, but are we so shallow as a nation that after all the great things that individuals have done in the past that we have to go overboard over such an event? I am clearly in a minority on here so I will bow out of the conversation now and leave you all to your celebrations.

Firstly congrats to murray excellent game and well deserved!

What people forget is that many times in interviews especially after the quarters he himself said im not British im Scottish! And in all fairness hes right he is a Scot just like i class myself as English!

From what people have said to me about him is he makes no secrets that he doesnt really like the English!!??? Is this true!

Im over the moon for the guy the best achievement in Tennis IMHO, no matter who wins its heart felt when they do after such a long fought battle in the sun!

I do agree that knight hoods and honours are given out incorrectly these days for me a Knight hood should go to exactly that a KNIGHT or in our days a soldier which we have so many off getting killed or hurt defending us and protecting us!

Well Done Murray anyway!

The whole anti-English thing stems from a joke taken out of context and blow up by the Internet. He doesn't really have a choice about being British anyway!

I for one love to see Great Britain come out on top in sport. This is now looking like a second great summer. Must be some disappointing football due next year?

Wingnut, agree with all you say except "defending us and protecting us". Our soldiers are dying and being maimed to pander to an ally they are not defending or protecting us by fighting in Afghanistan.

I see where Jeff is coming from. However I say he should get a knighthood for bringing a lot of pride to the people of these islands. It's what we have been missing. I'm not proud to be British as much as I used to be, Andy Murray has redressed the balance slightly.

• Like 1