home brew kit recommendations

bigals

Just getting to the end of my first home brew I very sucsessfully brewed a woodfords wherry best bitter kit. And was wondering if any of the bitter drinker's and home brewers have any recommendations for kits for me to try, or indeed if there are any good home brew forums anyone can recommend. Will be looking to bottle this time round and try and build a stock of different beers and ales so I can transport easily. Cheers alan

woodfordes wherry - great kit for a beginner - dose your bottles as well for a ABV of between 5.8 and 7 % it never fails on a 25 degree brew over 5 days....

Here's one I made earlier!

beer.jpg

descartesboozer.gif

just done a autralian larger from coopers using a liquid malt for the sugars rather than a beer enhancer. im not convinced by it. there is no head worth speaking of and its a bit flat.

the coopers kits are usually quite good. also brupacks. most of the woodfords ones are easy enough and usually give good results.

Keep thinking about it...

But my drinking's stopped completely this year, so not worth it till post recovery (tramadol, zopiclone and alcohol ain't a clever cocktail). I've skipped meds for beer, regretted it though.

Firebox.com have a lot of home brew kits...

http://www.firebox.com/product/5831/Brooklyn-Brew-Shop-Beer-Making-Kits

And lots of fun alcohol/food products.

James, have got some brewers sugar and will try adding a that at the time of bottling think I will try a Woodfordes Norfolk Nog next and see how get on with that I need to empty some bottles and looking at the price of empty's on the net I might as well buy full ones and recycle the contents through me :laugh: then recycle the bottles .

Here's one I made earlier!

beer.jpg

descartesboozer.gif

Man On The Clapham Omnibus, that looks a good pint, makes me thirsty ,

Keep thinking about it...

But my drinking's stopped completely this year, so not worth it till post recovery (tramadol, zopiclone and alcohol ain't a clever cocktail). I've skipped meds for beer, regretted it though.

Firebox.com have a lot of home brew kits...

http://www.firebox.com/product/5831/Brooklyn-Brew-Shop-Beer-Making-Kits

And lots of fun alcohol/food products.

guest, once you get of those meds bud you will be a cheep date for a while I  :p  .

am a light weight when it comes to beer but can hold my own when it comes to spirits , but I would rather have a few nice pints now and not want to die under a duvet the next day  :d 

Coopers kits are great but dont forget the lager needs a cold fermentation over 28 days at 8 degrees C - that then gives it the sparkle (hic)......

guest, once you get of those meds bud you will be a cheep date for a while I :p .

am a light weight when it comes to beer but can hold my own when it comes to spirits , but I would rather have a few nice pints now and not want to die under a duvet the next day :d

Even cheaper date while in them!!! Two pints and I'm asleep.

Man On The Clapham Omnibus, that looks a good pint, makes me thirsty ,

Why do you think I'm on the bus? :d

Top one in this list:

https://www.art-of-brewing.co.uk/acatalog/AoB_OnLine_Catalogue_Beer_kits___Premium____________9.html

It is not as fine an ale as Wherry but it's not as expensive either, and if made the way I make it (not entirely as per instructions) and stored in a barrel, it will be a very quaffable pint for less than 50p per pint.

FWIW I have been brewing for about forty years and have settled on this for my daily neck-oil.  :cool:

Coopers kits are great but dont forget the lager needs a cold fermentation over 28 days at 8 degrees C - that then gives it the sparkle (hic)......

James you seem to be an experienced home brewer :d

I am just about to embark on the home brew path, I have got a Coopers Microbrewery that needs opening up and getting going, not had time to get it underway as I have been busy on the power upgrade ;)

Where is the best place to put the brew? Airing cupboard? Are the heater pads any good?

Good suggestion MOTCO.. ive only been brewing for 20 years (put the college bar out of business) and hove now started making whole press cider - its a joy but only managed 240 pints last season... we had a barn dance and it had gone by 9pm.... :-) 

Kuga - I have a 25 degree brew belt and use the airing cupboard for the qucik brews of 5 -8 days.  for my lager beers I have a fridge with a thermostat in as that is a cold ferment for a month or so...

my beers are about 5%

Lager about 6.6%

Cider 9% to 12% 

Perry - 11% 

I love brewing !!!

Kuga - I have a 25 degree brew belt and use the airing cupboard for the qucik brews of 5 -8 days.  for my lager beers I have a fridge with a thermostat in as that is a cold ferment for a month or so...

my beers are about 5%

Lager about 6.6%

Cider 9% to 12% 

Perry - 11% 

I love brewing !!!

I have gotta feeling tbhis could replace my spare time that used to be spent building the Westy!!

25 degree brew belt - got a link to one?