Anyone with experience of selling cars on Ebay, please

Norman Verona

Wilie, My company has been raising Direct Debits and paying our suppliers via chaps for 16 years. I am 100% trusted by the bank so there would be no question of the money arriving through fraud. I would want to see the money in my account, not just see him do the transaction. I would get him to send it in £500 chunks so it doesn't get held up. Either that or he bring cash and we take him to the bank to deposit it.

Any way I emailed him direct at 13:00 and it's now 18:45 and no response. I've told him I have someone else who wants it (true) and he has until the morning to respond otherwise I'll sell it to the Autotrader offer.

I did say when I placed these ads that I suspected any bids on Ebay would be a problem and that it would sell via Autotrader.

Certainly not questioning your integrity, Norman - even though I've never met you, it's obvious you're a man of your word. 

Sadly your relationship with your own bank might count for little: it would be the buyer convincing their bank that the transaction had been undertaken fraudulently - i.e. their account had been hacked by person(s) unknown - that would count.  Difficult to guard against unless you get ID at the time of sale.

And £500 chunks may not work.  Many banks limit FPS to a single transaction to any given recipient on any one day (in order to avoid people circumventing the relevant limits).

Is that not just a standard response from EBay to say it has sold, they are linked to Paypal so that is why they suggest it.

Have faith Norm, I am sure he will be in contact soon

Wilie the £500 chunks are not to get round limits. I'm talking about internet banking transfers, The reason for the £500 chunks is that large amounts are delayed 25 hours. 

Anyway, I'll be very surprised if I hear from him. He bid at 07:00 (UK) I saw it a few minutes after the email arrived and responded to him then. He would have been at home then, even if he went out for the day later.

My suspicion is why buy a car in Sheffield when you're in Ilford, about 230 miles away when there must be dozens within 10 miles for sale.

AJ, we'll see, as above I don't think I'll hear from him. I'm not bothered as someone else has offered £50 less and I can trust him, he works for us!

Just looked on Autotrader. THIS is higher spec, 8,000 more miles and 3 miles from his postcode. Why come 230 miles?

Wilie the £500 chunks are not to get round limits. I'm talking about internet banking transfers, The reason for the £500 chunks is that large amounts are delayed 25 hours. 

We're talking about the same thing Norman.  All banks have limits on FPS.  What is more, some prevent you from making more than one fast payment to the same account within a 24hr period (it's avoids the need for more complex calculus to take place at the time of authorisation)... you might find that if you get them to send £500 that they won't then be able to send the rest!

My daughter sent the seller of the Honda £2,500 and it took 24 hours ro get to his bank. I sent my daughter 5 x £500 when I got back here and it arrived in 10 minutes.

My daily limit is £10,000.

Anyway, if he does contact me by the morning then I'll insist on cash and he'll have to go to the bank with us.

Thanks for the input.

I doubt I'll hear from him.

My daily limit is £10,000.

Fair enough, but your buyer's might not be.

I have a higher limit on one of my accounts than I usually need, but I can absolutely positively definitely only send one transaction a day to any given account - doesn't matter who holds it - as the internet banking system won't allow a second one to be set up.

... only raised it to avoid you getting caught out.

Cash at the bank is the way forward if you definitely need it all done in the day with no chance of it getting reversed.  :t-up:

Do bear in mind a lot of buyers use sniping software which bids for them. I do, a lot.

I set the software to make a max bid for me. I might be away for the weekend when I win something. I return, then pay.

Just looked on Autotrader. THIS is higher spec, 8,000 more miles and 3 miles from his postcode. Why come 230 miles?

one word... multitronic I would drive 1,000 miles to avoid them  :down:

Jeff, but the point is why travel 230 miles for a car that can be bought much nearer?

Still not heard from him.

Jeff, but the point is why travel 230 miles for a car that can be bought much nearer?

Isn't yours on French plates?  Might be one hell of a saving on congestion charges etc if one was so inclined...?

It is on French plates. In France you're allowed to drive an imported car for 6 months on foreign plates. The DVLA says a UK registered person is not allowed to drive an imported car on foriegn plates AT ALL. 

However, one way round this must surely be if the car is still registered to me and loaned to a UK person .........

It's not only congestion charges, it's RFL, MOT, and cameras.

Anyway, not heard from yet. I'm going to start wortk on the Skoda cambelt and we'll see what happens.

It is on French plates. In France you're allowed to drive an imported car for 6 months on foreign plates. The DVLA says a UK registered person is not allowed to drive an imported car on foriegn plates AT ALL. 

However, one way round this must surely be if the car is still registered to me and loaned to a UK person .........

It's not only congestion charges, it's RFL, MOT, and cameras.

In the last paragraph you sum up nicely why someone might want yours instead of a cheaper UK reg'd equivalent (although you could probably add insurance to that list too?).

There are sections of society that won't care what DVLA says about registering correctly (or any time limits)... all they care about is being able to drive with impunity.