Newbie to racing

NevilleBull

Lindsay,

Speak to Ivan at Procomp on 0121 350 3258. He can make one off cages for a lot less money than anyone else. Obviously, he will need your car to do the job, but his workmanship is top notch. See www.procomp.co.uk for examples of his cages. There was also an article in CCC about 2 months ago about a yellow and and orange Locost which Mark Hales and Dave Walker both drove. Both of those cars had Procomp cages.

JL

Linds,

Yep, I was one of about a dozen c******ms that took part. My car is definitely not one of the quickest when it comes to more open events ( 1600 VX 8 valve) but part of the reason I went that way was that

1) I couldn't afford anything too exotic

2) I was interested in close racing where it wasn't just down to the size of your cheque book

3) There was an established race programme with  large grids

I would guess the Westfield series is pretty similar but my budget couldn't stretch as far as a new Westfield was concerned.

I was actually a bit surprised that there was only the one( but very quick) Westfield entered-still not sure why

Have you started track racing yet or are in the 'thinking about it' phase

MikeW

Well Mike, im sure i appreciated your performance even if I cant recall exactly which c******m you were.

I've been sprinting a Westfield for the last four years, with varying degrees of success. But to be honest Ive always hankered after the opportunity to do circuit racing. I guess ive been thinking about it [Circuit Racing] for several years now. The main reason I have remained involed with sprinting, other than financial constraints, is due to the social side of the Westfield Speed Series - its just brilliant, I must admit I shall miss it when I take the step into circuit racing.

But you cant stop progress, and i've promised myself I will sell the Westfield after the 2003 sprint season and buy something suitable for circuit racing. I've just got to work out exactly what car i would like to campaign, and in what championship. I think my criteria for selecting a championship will be very like yours - one thing that p*sses me off about sprinting is the ease by which the cheque book can make a difference to one's competitiveness. I'm as guilty as most for exploiting this , but i'm getting fed up spending small fortunes each winter, and for very little seat time during the season.

Will you be competing next Season Mike?

:( Hi all,

As ive never been to a sprint event, can someone tell me where Loton Park is and Harewood.  I am thinking of entering the more local ones to me, im based in staffordshire so, 3 sisters, aintree, curborough and a few others are within reach.

Thanks all............

Nevile

I don't know where abouts in the country you are, but us Southerners can compete in the SEMSEC series at Lydden.The racing is not too expensive and very fair (no-one wants to run you off the road). Mods to the car are pretty free (slicks allowed, engine mods free, etc)

Hi Nev, Linds, all.

Thought I would add my bit to this interesting thread. Much good stuff has already been said, but here is my 2p's worth.

As Mark said, I race in the BARC Westfield championship. This championship is jointly administered by the Westfield factory (Richard Smith) and the BARC. It is the official factory racing championship. There are other just as good championships such as the 750 ones that Mike races in but since I know mostly about the factory one I can give you some insight into this.

The championship has been going for some 12 years now. Originally it was for literally any type of Westfield (even 11's I think) there were various classes and your car spec (engine type & tune) determined which class you were in within the one race. Now, it is very restricted, a single class. All cars, engines etc. are essentially identical. Any Westfield can enter (7 type) SE, SEi, SEW, SEiW and ZEi, running a Ford Zetec 1800 engine, but the rules governing what you can do, modifications wise, is very well defined. The reason is obviously to promote close racing and to keep the budget down. You really cannot spend loads of money on it, there is no need. The only place you can throw money at is tyres, but again there really is no need. We have to run a hard compound ACB10 tyre and last year I did the WHOLE season on ONE set of rear tyres (2 fronts). Once you have a car built to the racing regulations and have a decent engine blue printed and dyno'ed there is not much else you can do other than adjust settings and practice.

I could go on (looks like I have already oops), but if you want cost effective racing this championship is hard to beat. Ok the cars probably aren't as fast as they could be due to the restrictions, but the racing is fab and very good spirited.

Also on the point that Linds made about club camaraderie, our lot are also very good indeed. Possibly not quite as good as the sprint series, as the competition is a bit more intense, but I bet you it is not far off. As with everything it is up to the individuals to make friends. We now have a drivers association and almost every competitor is involved and some of us are now great pals.

Hope this has given you some more info. Please let me know if there is anything you want help with. As you probably saw or heard about on the 'Racing car is born' series, you really can enter as a novice and work your way up.

Cheers.

Keith.

Keith

Good stuff.

Any chance of an insight into a suitable spares package to take with you for race day? And any other tips?

You complained about speed - my 1300 Locost will be even worse (I've had to sell my Westie).

Thanks

Richard Brown