Newbie to racing

NevilleBull

'Ello,

Having had the westie for a few years now I'd like to get into the racing scene.  Just have no idea where to start.

Please excuse my novice ignorance, but does the Speed Series cover track/circuit days or just hillclimbing?

I think I'm more interested in track / circuit racing than sprinting.  

Looking through the club site it would appear it's mostly sprints,  but I don't understand then what series Keith Scarfe won, sorry for being thick but I thought he did track racing not sprints? Does that mean he had nothing to do with the Speed Series?

If so, for track / circuit racing how can I get started? What should be the first steps I need to take?  :durr:

One other thing, I'm the proud owner of a 2.0 CVH from Ferriday.  Will the engine be eligable to race,  i.e. which class? Because it would be daft to race my 2.0 cvh against cars with 5 litres and beyond just because I am 200cc over the 1800cc class!    :blush:

Hi Nev

I personally would try the Speed Series to get a feel for your car/ability but also throw in a few track days to understand what its like to have bunch of space cadets pumped to the gunnells with testosterone  all around you in full battle dress,  plus the comaraderie in the S.S is fantastic!! and is second to non. There's a wealth of experience within the S.S that will help/guide you in your proposed step into the 'all money consuming' sport.

On the down side of curcuit racing is the cost, not just having a competitive car but items such as the Comp Licence is more expensive ,You'll need a medical(approx£80) Entires for the events are usually twice the cost of the SS(approx £170 per meeting),plumbed in fire extinguisher, and many other areas of safety that all cost.

You'll also have a lot of other people round you racing and trying to get passed you at every  opportunity/way and if your not ready for that its a culture shock/rude awakening! and 'in the unlikely event' of a pile up involving other cars, it could well be expensive!!

But thats upto you.This will be my 2nd year in the Speed Series and I will be contesting my 1st year in the Northern Saloon & Sports Car Championship based at Croft. I will probably only do 4 rounds of that, more if the budget allows and as long as it dosen't clash with the SS dates

Good luck

Join the Speed Series its an absolute hoot and good value for money, well it is until you start thinking "Yeah I think I need one those, some of these and I can't be without that thingy" :0  :(  :D

Buzz :(

Neville

Email me off line and I will phone you to discuss - my typing is not quick enough to make a posting worthwhile!

I have just completed my 3rd season of sprints/hillclimbs, and am now moving on to track racing in 2003.

Richard Brown

Neville

You will also need to pass a medical and an ARDS course to obtain a full race licence.

Keith Scarfe won the BARC Westfield Championship - this is a Ford Zetec engine based championship.

For an absolute beginner / Novice - IMHO (and unbiased)

I would take a look at The WSCC Speed Series for Sprints and Hillclimbs, get into as many track days as you can.

Also take at look at the 750 MC series - its a good championship, reasonably cost effective and a fine starting point - They will be at the Autosport Show where you'll find someone to have a natter with  ;)  :D  :)

Try a few different things if you can - as Pete Billsberry is doing and keep your options open  ;)  :)  :D. See what you prefer and don't make any judgements after one event cos various events and circuits are run very differently  ;)  :)  Good Luck  ;)

Buzz,

Are you using the sprint westfield in the Northern Saloon and Sports Car Championship?

I'll be interested to hear how you get on, cus I want to take the leap into circuit racing in 2004, but not sure in which championship and in what type of car.

Linds

Hi Linds

Yes I am using my westy I'll send u a copy of the regs once I've dug them out.Plus I'll keep you inform as I progress

Buzz :(

Neville,

I bought my 7 in July this year and finished my 10 th track race at Mallory on Boxing Day. Apart from some karting nearly 20 years ago I was( am) a complete novice. I'd originally though about sprinting but couldn't resist the thrill of competing head to head on the track.

First step is to ring the MSA 01753 765000 and ask for the Go Racing Pack this will include a video, the blue book and a license application form ( you will need Race National B) To get the license you first need a medical and then to get booked on an ARDS course. After that you will need race suit, boots and helmet and to make sure that your car complies with the requirements of your race series. I race in the c******m Graduates Series which does help to keep the cost down ( as all the engines sealed, hard tyres etc) but also do a number of the BARC events where we compete against saloon cars and the like. Cost is between £100 and £140 per event. The 750 MC series would be a definite option for you but I am sure there would be a number of others. I haven't sprinted yet but in my view if you want to race just do it- sprinting is not a natural stepping stone. Racing really is fantastic fun and so far all of the races I have been in have been very close but fair-you'll have a great time if you enjoy the thrill of it all. Good luck in whatever way you decide to go.

MikeW

:) I am currently trying to decide whether to jump straight in and start circuit racing with the 750 mc or start sprinting first and see how i get on.

I am going to the autosport show on friday 10th jan and hope to speak to as many people as i can about the choices available.  Is there anyone from the sprint series on a stand so i can go and have a chat?

Hi Stater,

Were you the Westfield on the front row at the Plumb Pudding meeting. I Watched the race, it was one of the best of the day. Shame about the delays.

If that was you, I went into the paddock to speak to you but you seemed busy and was one the mobile for ages so i gave up. I noticed your car has a rather neat roll cage and i was going to ask you where you had it made, becuase i am looking for one.

Regards

Lindsay

Linds

My Locost has a Safety Devices full roll cage, with side bar.  Looks excellent - hope never to try it out. I'm sure it would fit any "7" type car - they must have done a Westie before

Dickie B

Is there anyone from the sprint series on a stand so i can go and have a chat?

Adrian

The WSCC won't have a stand at Autosport - cos it costs a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge amount of money  :blush:  :blush:  :arse:  :arse:  :arse:  and we can't blag any free space to promote ourselves  :arse:  :arse:  :arse:

But there looks like being plenty of Speed Series drivers attending on Friday 10 - if you're there look-out for club T-shirts, caps, fleeces etc - someone may be able to talk - if not just drop us an e-mail, if you want to know anything about the WSCC Speed Series  ;)  :D  :)  :cool:

Linds

Wish it had been me but I was a bit further back than that. The Westfield was being driven by Jonathan Edwards. And it was quick. Took pole for the first race by something like 4 secs :0

It was a good day's racing though despite a couple of stoppages. The guy with the black XJS did some neat parking backwards up the tyre wall at the esses in the second race:0

MikeW

Cheers Dickie,

Im already talking to them - they have not done a wide body car, so mine's lined up as the model. Whole thing might be a bit pricey though cus I want it in lightweight T45(?) steel and i've got a funding crisis at the mo.