Drilling holes in glass

Norman Verona

Paul, I have done that to one of the windows but they are in place now and the sides are not accessible. I have drilled a hole at the bottom corner of one.

Bernie, got any idea how much a double glazed unit 3 meters by 2 meters will cost?

I haven't but it won't be a house window price.

Can't you get the sealed unit if you can you can seperste the two pieces of glass dry out with a hair dryer on a nice dry day warming up the spacers will dry out the moisture, then seal with windscreen silicon then gaffer tape the edge and leave to set before refitting, I have done this quite a few times.

Chris, I could have done that whilst the windows were on the crane, but they're in the frame now. Two of us tried to lift them but we could only get them off the ground. We had to use my engine crane to get them in the frame.

Bernie, that seems to be the answer. I'm thinking about it.

Norm

you cant drill toughened glass even a diamond drill. At that size glass it has to be toughened, the only option is to split in my opinion.

Chris

Chris, agreed, We'll just have to put up with it.

Those sizes of glass terrify me on when I'm working on construction sites. Once saw a chippie working on the frame of unit, probably about 1 x 1.5 m or thereabouts. One of the sheets of glass just let go with a huge bang, splitting into several large fragments, one of which slid down his fore arm.

He turned towards us, and was just about to say words to the effect of phew that was a close one, when a huge flap of skin flopped off his arm. Then the blood started. Always amazes me how there seems to be such a delayed reaction when you get such sharp, clean cuts.

You lot should've worked in shopfitting like me ;)  boy did we have had some fun in the good old days before H+S. Frameless floor to ceiling shopfronts, just getting the glass from the wagon to the job over some building site and through a still under construction mall, without all the fancy handling stuff they have today was interesting, never mind working off a plank on a pair of trestles :laugh:

I'm sure you've all seen the size of the glass in some of these modern shopfronts.

You lot should've worked in shopfitting like me ;)  boy did we have had some fun in the good old days before H+S. Frameless floor to ceiling shopfronts, just getting the glass from the wagon to the job over some building site and through a still under construction mall, without all the fancy handling stuff they have today was interesting, never mind working off a plank on a pair of trestles :laugh:

I'm sure you've all seen the size of the glass in some of these modern shopfronts.

can you get hold of any second hand shop window glass?

Phil, not in France, they use everything until it's only fit for scrap. 

Take cars. The UK registered 2.2 million new cars last year. France 600,000. My Audi in the UK is probably worth £2500, here in France, in LHD it will sell for over 9000€. Folk arrive here to stay in the gites and exclaim that they didn't know the French were so much into classic cars. They're not, the 2CV and Renault 4cv's you've seen are still going since they bought them in the 1950's so they're still using them.

It is changing, but only the youngsters in the cities.

Phil, not in France, they use everything until it's only fit for scrap. 

Take cars. The UK registered 2.2 million new cars last year. France 600,000. My Audi in the UK is probably worth £2500, here in France, in LHD it will sell for over 9000€. Folk arrive here to stay in the gites and exclaim that they didn't know the French were so much into classic cars. They're not, the 2CV and Renault 4cv's you've seen are still going since they bought them in the 1950's so they're still using them.

It is changing, but only the youngsters in the cities.

Hang on sport, in another thread only a minute ago, you were wondering why people kept old Ford T-birds and Vauxhall Crestas on the road because they were rubbish then and are rubbish now; and here you are explaining why the French keep their ancient cars going and seemingly agreeing with it.

A bit of multiple personality syndrome? :p  ???  :d

Hang on sport, in another thread only a minute ago, you were wondering why people kept old Ford T-birds and Vauxhall Crestas on the road because they were rubbish then and are rubbish now; and here you are explaining why the French keep their ancient cars going and seemingly agreeing with it.

A bit of multiple personality syndrome? :p  ???  :d

maybe you could get a second membership fee in there or at least charge for a joint membership

• Like 1

maybe you could get a second membership fee in there or at least charge for a joint membership

That's just the kind of brilliant thinking that can get you promoted to MemSec some day! :t-up:

It would be handy too, as when I eventually come to power, the inevitable happens and persistent offenders are put up against the wall and shot for the good of us all, we'll need more member income.

Keep them coming, comrade! :yes:

I can see the advert now "Schizoprenics.... buy one membership, get one free...."......