Middle lane morons

jeff oakley

Well it looks at last that those incharge have seen sense and are starting to fine drivers who hog the middle lane and tailgate. I was driving and listening to Jeremy Vine when they discussed this and the amount of people who were trying to justify there bad lane discipline was astonishing. They had a guest who was a writer who was insistant that as she was doing 70 mph, in the middle lane as she always does, it was the ones who wanted to overtake her who were the problem. And she was not alone.

Drivingthat I witnessed today, if the police had been out they could have raised at least a million today on the M5 alone, with no danger at all. We could increase the capacity of our roads if these idiots were just forced to move over, or taken off the roads.

One of the best decisions that's been made in a long time

Totally agree with this. I find it especially frustrating when towing trailers on motorways as I have little option other than to go into the outside lane where I shouldn't be or undertake using the inside lane so as to pass them.

• Like 2

I kind of agree with this but sometimes the motorway is so busy with a constant steam of trucks on the left hand lane, especially on the M25.  Once you move into the left hand lane it's impossible to get back out again, and I prefer to keep a bit of distance from trucks.  I can also see the Polices Forces around the country having a league table of number of Fines they produce and all trying to better each other.

If the money raised went directly to the police you would see instant results and more patrol cars. it's good but personally I would increase the fines even further and give more points. And for the morons who use a mobile at the wheel (take the dam thing off them) job done.

Petemac

Should have a fine for lorrys taking 10 miles to overtake another lorry too

• Like 2

We have perfectly good laws at the moment. Undue care and dangerous driving. Problem is the smart arsed lawers will get you off by arguing "prove it" It's difficult as, unless there's been an accident it cannot be proved.

So, lets hope the new laws will work.

By the way, on a slightly different note, the chief constables are, or were, in despair over new laws. The amount of police training needed meant that they had to have 20% more bobbies as the training was taking day a week for each bobby on new legislation alone. However, they may be pleased about these laws.

Phil, ever driven a fully loaded artic? If you have you'll have a bit of sympathy with the drivers. And the new prime movers are far more powerful than when I drove them.

Phil, ever driven a fully loaded artic? If you have you'll have a bit of sympathy with the drivers. And the new prime movers are far more powerful than when I drove them.

But they can only do 56mph anyway, what's the point of them overtaking.

Maybe because th chap in front is only doing 54?

If everyone drove well on our motorways the odd lorry taking a long time to overtake would not be an issue. I have very little problem with trucks, but the Daisy and Dereks who sit resolutly in the middle are at worst stupid at best arrogantly stupid. Those who have driven in Germany knows the sytem works if everyone keeps to the inside lane except when overtaking.

Totally agree with this. I find it especially frustrating when towing trailers on motorways as I have little option other than to go into the outside lane where I shouldn't be or undertake using the inside lane so as to pass them.

Obviously your only doing 60 out there passing a slow moving middle lane hogger ;)

Obviously your only doing 60 out there passing a slow moving middle lane hogger ;)

Of course, and being the good driver I am I'll always sit a safe distance behind them till they notice I'm there and move over so I can pass without entering the outside lane :)

I mentioned this to HM and said that I wondered how they would prove it. She said cameras. Unless there's 100% coverage of the motorway it still going to be difficult to prove. "Yes, I was in the middle lane as I went under that gantry, but I moved over. Then I had to move out again at the next gantry"

Is this another politician's good news day?

About time to but I suspect a few incorrect fines will be issued. I would just introduce the freeway system overtaking on both sides . You have to remember that some of the fairer sex need to be in the outside lane especially on dual carriageways as they will be turning right to Tesco/Sainsburys/Waitrose or whoever in just a few miles. Bets lets see how it changes things. The motorway lane hoggers aren't obviously turning right but need to learn some spacial awareness instead of playing with their phones/toast/drinks or whatever else. Ironically just as I heard it on the news I had just gone past a middle lane hogger on the phone, he did move over when I left my indicators on but that's unusual.

Bob :d