cheapest insurance for kids? classic car ?

JeffC

We found that Adrian Flux weren't the cheapest but they did say phone and doing so got him £600 cheaper.

I hate this...  £600 off the premium??  Unbelievable (but true obviously).  They are taking the p*ss :angry:

Plus fully comp cheaper than TPFT (insuring the boys) :suspect:

Myself as named driver (in Yorkshire) for daughter in London (£400 cheaper) :o  :o

They are all mad excepting A-plan who have now got my tin-top insurance.  Told my previous insurers to go away... "We might be able to do you a cashback offer..."

Rory's Dad

• Like 1

I hate this...  £600 off the premium??  Unbelievable (but true obviously).  They are taking the p*ss :angry:

Plus fully comp cheaper than TPFT (insuring the boys) :suspect:

Myself as named driver (in Yorkshire) for daughter in London (£400 cheaper) :o  :o

They are all mad excepting A-plan who have now got my tin-top insurance.  Told my previous insurers to go away... "We might be able to do you a cashback offer..."

Rory's Dad

Calm down Martin,  :p

You're right though somebody somewhere is making a shed load.

Calm down Martin,  :p

You're right though somebody somewhere is making a shed load.

They aren't making shed loads on young peoples insurance because they tend to have accidents in cheap cars and drive into expensive ones with people who have a tendancy to neck injuries.

The big issue for all of us is the cost of repairing cars after an accident. We had a customer who alleges a driveshaft was faulty and as a result the side and sterring air bag went off, that is almost £2k with no external damage to the car! Look when on the motorway at the lorries with salvage cars on them (especially heading to the docks for export to Poland etc) the damage is minimal but the repair costs write them off. As cars get more sophisticated they become more disposable.

Yesterday I saw a presentation from TRW who told us a new car will be launched in less than five years, for the mainstream, that has fully electric braking, no hydraulics, and electric steering, this incorparates ABS, Traction, stability, crash avoidance etc. in a unit the size a packet of cornflakes. The manufacturer loves it as on assmbly no wet stuff just plug and play all by wire. That will cost a fortune to replace anything on. gadgets are good until it needs a repair

They aren't making shed loads on young peoples insurance because they tend to have accidents in cheap cars and drive into expensive ones with people who have a tendancy to neck injuries.

The big issue for all of us is the cost of repairing cars after an accident. We had a customer who alleges a driveshaft was faulty and as a result the side and sterring air bag went off, that is almost £2k with no external damage to the car! Look when on the motorway at the lorries with salvage cars on them (especially heading to the docks for export to Poland etc) the damage is minimal but the repair costs write them off. As cars get more sophisticated they become more disposable.

Yesterday I saw a presentation from TRW who told us a new car will be launched in less than five years, for the mainstream, that has fully electric braking, no hydraulics, and electric steering, this incorparates ABS, Traction, stability, crash avoidance etc. in a unit the size a packet of cornflakes. The manufacturer loves it as on assmbly no wet stuff just plug and play all by wire. That will cost a fortune to replace anything on. gadgets are good until it needs a repair

Not to mention personal injury claims, then you're talking of £000,000's.

Sorry, not read everything here. But at 17 I had a nearly finished mini 1000 project I'd been doing a while. I passed my test, got an old fiesta popular, £800, compared to the £500 for the mini.

I found that advanced driving lessons made things cheaper.

Club member made things cheaper.

Going fully comp and saying you have use of parents car reduced it too.

Turbo, even diesel doubled insurance.

Convertible doubled insurance.

Being a student puts insurance up, so if part time shelf stacker... Just say shelf stacker.

A few years ago I had a surprise when looking for insurance online. A 1992 2.3 Honda Prelude was cheaper to insure than a 1999 1.2 Corsa SXI. Both £1500 value. When I went to view, Honda was automatic! That brings insurance down by about half.

Saw discussions on accidents...

Well, all my insurance incidents have been third party at fault. I get people a year later phoning me asking if I have any injuries and that a no win claim for... Would be settled within a month.

I've never claimed whiplash or injury if not injured. I've had a few incidents here. One guy wanted to settle it privately, as he wrote a car off ten days earlier and he only had the new one three days and it was on his dad's insurance. He offered me £1,000 plus repairs done and paid for by him. I have him 24hrs to produce the cash, took car to WF and let Russ deal with him. His excess was £5,000!!!

Insurance company puts my car as a cat C straight away and every time it's Mark at WF that speaks to them and gets the car repaired at there's. 3 third party responsible accidents have put my insurance up by 60% ish... Higher than the difference between DT11 (farm land in Dorset) and B20 (A rough area in Birmingham). I was shocked at the difference in my insurance drop between B20 and B15... 12 miles apart, but dropped a good 25%! Can't wait to get back into Dorset! :laugh:

moved to manchester from london 3 yrs ago my car ins went up by £60 a year..

moved to manchester from london 3 yrs ago my car ins went up by £60 a year..

Dorset - Not a nice bit of Birmingham +£300

Not a nice bit of Birmingham - "Nice" bit of Birmingham -£120. I'm getting quotes at the house I own in Devon for £260 less than here.

That's all very well and I accept things get more technical they cost more to repair, so explain this, I have no claims in a 12 month period and my insurance goes up by 289 quid? Insurers think everyone's stupid obviously.

That's all very well and I accept things get more technical they cost more to repair, so explain this, I have no claims in a 12 month period and my insurance goes up by 289 quid? Insurers think everyone's stupid obviously.

If you contact your insurance company they will drop it back down. Especially if you google insurance quotes and find a cheaper one.

They work like street sellers all over the world! Give you a high price. Most people pay it. But if someone questions it they'll drop it and would rather drop it than lose a sale. Now I've never known an insurance company to worry about you leaving them... But a quick Internet search and within an hour you'll pull out something atleast 25% cheaper than your renewal! I have every year. Renewal's are always high.

If you contact your insurance company they will drop it back down. Especially if you google insurance quotes and find a cheaper one.

They work like street sellers all over the world! Give you a high price. Most people pay it. But if someone questions it they'll drop it and would rather drop it than lose a sale. Now I've never known an insurance company to worry about you leaving them... But a quick Internet search and within an hour you'll pull out something atleast 25% cheaper than your renewal! I have every year. Renewal's are always high.

Steve, I end up doing this every single year and I usually get it less than the previous year, but my argument is I shouldn't have to.

so in short there is nothing that gets under the radar for kids first car then :( I thought about a 2cv, no danger of anyone pinching it and not fast enough to get into any bother  :d  :d  :d

so in short there is nothing that gets under the radar for kids first car then :( I thought about a 2cv, no danger of anyone pinching it and not fast enough to get into any bother :d:d:d

Automatic's the way forward! Get a cheap auto for a few years and at 21 he can have a nice motor.

Newer cars are sometimes cheaper due to improved security.

Cars driven by younger drivers are higher to insure.

Hatch backs/3 doors are more.

I know lots of things, but sure everyone here does. A good car my little brother had was Toyota corolla... A really old four door saloon. Was ten years ago though. But was very cheap at the time.

But the cost of insurance is averaged out. I too have an excellant record but for our Normal cars the premium does go up. By ringing around many insurance companies will use the first year as a loss leader in the hope you will not have an accident and renew with no queries. It is their business model.