cheapest insurance for kids? classic car ?

JeffC

thinking out loud here as my lad is taking driving lessons and he knows that owning a car is impossible for him at the mo due to the insurance costs of £2500 plus for a 1.0 corsa and the likes, does anyone know if its possible to get youngsters insured on old school cars , just wondering if something over 25 years old would help get the premium down if you can get it on classic policy ? say something like an old beetle, mini , Golf mk1 or say something even  older like an old MGB/ midget Tr7,  Once he gets a few quid saved up im thinking an older classic car is prob not a bad place to put his money and might teach him a thing or two about maintenance at the same time as building up a no claims discount.

as said just thinking out loud :t-up:   

Blimey Jeff dont you like your lad? MGB/MIDGET/TR7 yuck hahahahaah

Might be the only way these days but if its anything like kitcars pretty sure you need to be at least 21! I know i had to be 21 to insure mibe but that was over 10 years ago now so the age limit may have changed.

I used Adrian Flux at the time as most of the others wouldnt look at me till i was 25 might have been due to it being an AC Cobra but even so it was pinto powered so nothing to exciting really!

Think classic insurance is probably the best route if possible, but will it have mileage restrictions and things like that?

Keep us posted as ill be in the same boat with my lad in 10 years, be here before i know it!

I don't think insurers tend to buy the 'Classic Car' thing unless you are over 25, doing less than 5k miles and it's a second vehicle :(

People like RH Classics (Essex) class stuff over 20 years as classic, so my 1991 MX-5 is eligible. It's hardly unreliable but very easy to fix when stuff goes wrong, barely any nasty electronics - your thought process there is a good one I think :t-up:

One of our guys at work got his 18 year old boy insured with one of the black boxes installed in the car with curfew times and monitoring driving style etc... 

it's saved him a fortune on insurance and is adjusted down on a monthly basis.

What about a van? like a corsa, fiesta or little peugot van. Would they be any cheaper to insure?

push bike until he is 25...

far too many people on the roads !!!!!

black box like kev said good idea will make 2nd year ins much cheaper... 

From what I can gather, the cheapest stuff to insure is something young kids don't usually drive and so don't usually crash, something slow and the less seats the better. I wonder how a smart car stacks up?

One of our guys at work got his 18 year old boy insured with one of the black boxes installed in the car with curfew times and monitoring driving style etc... 

it's saved him a fortune on insurance and is adjusted down on a monthly basis.

This is what I did for my lad. He's 17 and just passed his test and I've insured him through Hastings smart miles (with a black box). It was at least a grand cheaper than without on his 1.2 Ibiza.

Plus he has to stick to speed limits etc so gives me piece of mind.

I went through this with my daughter a few years ago and it is not easy. I did read in Complete Kitcar a young lad had got a Quantum as his firstcar with a small engine and it was reasonable, and when she first passed her test she got a quote on a Libra with an 1100cc engine which was cheaper than a normal car.  I also recall a young lad got a landrover as a first car with no issue cost wise. So try ringing A plan and ask their advice.

But here is what we did in the end, we got her a Yaris, for a year then a Cooper and just changed again to a newer Cooper. What swung it for me was this. She is the most precious thing to me in the world and even though she was and still is very sensible the accidents seem to happen when they have others in the car and you never know what might happen. We therefore made sure she had the safest car we could get her, with ABS and airbags as in the scale of things over a life time the additional cost to help her was nothing. Why wait till we are dead to give her money when she needed it now.

I know everyone looks at things differently but young lads will want a nice car, they will drive too fast and statistically they will crash more. If you chose the ugliest newish car, Daewoo, or perdoua these are not judged as typical cars for the youth and come down in cost. Adding you and the wife as named drivers helps bring the cost down as well.

I know Footman James only do classic insurance on a 2nd. car and you have to be over 21 or 25.   Vans are expensive to insure so forget that idea.   The only option to reduce premiums for a young driver is having a low powered car and have the "Black Box" installed.   

Flux with the black box worked for us. Still expensive though but the cheapest we could get for 1996 Rover Mini Cooper 1.3 MPI. There are cheaper but they would not cover the Mini as the car was too "old". 

My lad insured himself in Feb this year, I found using the compare websites useful, different figures off each but you can play around to try and get the cheapest quote.

We found that Adrian Flux weren't the cheapest but they did say phone and doing so got him £600 cheaper.

Also the cheapest cars (that you think would be) aren't necessarily the cheapest. He ended up with a 1.4 16v (100 bhp) Skoda Fabia and was cheaper than a 1.25 Fiesta, plus he got, alloys, heated seats, aircon etc.

Depending on where you live a defender insured through NFU can be a good shout. They keep prices artificially low on defenders for the farming community. I had a couple of mates with them. Expensive to buy, but it won't lose its value.