Specific things to look out for when buying?

pierscoe1

Hello all...

I'm hoping to buy my first Westfield this year, and wanted to gather some of your collective wisdom.

I know what spec I'd ideally like, but realise I may have to be flexible on some of it, as finding the perfect spec might be impossible...

Ideal spec:

<10yrs old

Duratec 2 litre

FW bodywork (rear especially, but is it easy/possible to retro-fit FW rear bodywork??)

RAC rollbar

LSD

Windscreen (is it easy to retro-fit a windscreen to an aero-screened car??)

So what I'd like to know, mostly, is if there are any specific weak points, troublesome parts, known issues with any particular parts of the cars?

Obviously this is very dependant on the quality of the build, but...

Are there suspension parts that are more prone to wear/damage/failure?

Are there any electrical gremlins that are more common than others?

Etc etc...

Any info/tips/suggestions greatfully recieved.

Oh, and while I'm here, is there a local club/meet closer to Leamington/Warwick than the "North Oxford" one (only one I could see on the meets forum that was close-ish)

(or any big westfield events I should get to coming up)

Thanks all for your time...

Piers.

Are you the same Pierscoe1 from PH?

In which case my duratec car will be at the PHSS at Gaydon on Sunday if you want a poke round it and a chat. 

yep, I am... and was completely unaware of this SS @ JLR... (just got back from honeymoon)

Have put my name on the list, but would require 220 dropouts! :-(

The answer to your questions is Yes and No.     Forget the age of the car, there are some superb cars out there about 20 years old that have been re- engined and complete nut & bolt rebuilds.   If something breaks it is usually easy and cheap to repair as it is a kit car. Your budget and willingness to travel  will be the deciding factor on what you get for your money.  FW bodywork can be fitted but the fuel tank is moved plus some other bits I can't remember now. It's doubtful whether you will find the exact spec. you want in one car at a price you can afford, so buy the something near to what you want then add your spec. to it later.

I went to local meets and found out what I needed to know before I bought my Westfield, bought a cheapish one and slowly modded it with the bits I want to make it my own.

Nearest meet to you is just up the road at The Falcon near Hatton, third Thursday of the month at 7:30 PM.  See the map:

http://www.wscc.co.uk/local.htm

Are you the same Pierscoe1 from PH?

In which case my duratec car will be at the PHSS at Gaydon on Sunday if you want a poke round it and a chat. 

I have wangled a way in for the Sunday Service...   so I shall keep an eye out for a Westie...

do you have any pics of it online anywhere?

You know that feeling of nervousness when you wash your car for the first time because you know you'll find some scratches and dings that you hadn't seen?  Well, with westys their could also be plenty beneath the surface as well seeing as they're mostly home made.  Really take your time to scrutinise you prospective purchase get right underneath and inside it.  See as many as you can and see if a club member from the locality that you're purchasing from will go with you - if you post your intended viewing here there will almost certainly be people willing to help.  It's a very helpful place  :d

Re your spec list.  There are other decent roll bars worth considering from playskool, caged etc that may be even better depending on your height.  Also, I would have thought a windscreen was fairly easy to fit (I've just removed mine and all associated gubbins) but you will also need to consider the fitting of wipers, wiper motor (and plumbing the electric's in if not already there), washer bottle in the engine bay and electrics for the motor etc.  I don't think any of this is necessarily particularly difficult depending on your expertise.  If you have a windscreen you may also want doors because the wind really buffets around the side of the screen and hits you quite hard.  I always preferred not to use mine but others seem to have a different opinion.

I also think that you can retrofit an FW rear but I'm sure someone else will be along to confirm.  Why would you want to though eeew  :d  :d  ;)

Ps You just missed Stoneleigh which was on your doorstep and there were hundreds of us all in the same place!

thanks for the tips.

yup, annoyed I missed Stonleigh, but was on honeymoon, so can't complain :)

I don't think you just change the FW rear. You need to change the sides as well.

There will be a fair few cars at Curborough in a couple of weeks.

The two bodystyles are interchangeable and can be mixed and matched, but it is as David said a case of either ZK (traditional) tub, or FW tub. Not just the rear panel. The scuttle is the same for both, you can also put the one piece FW nose/bonnet on a ZK tub, and vice versa, a ZK bonnet, (V8 or standard) plus nosecone on to an FW tub. (Note hoods aren't interchangeable either)

Yes, there are a few things involved as has been noted earlier, such as changing petrol tanks for the FW tub, changing roll bar etc, but nothing's insurmountable. It'd be quite an expensive swap though, so I'd do your sums on any prospective purchase.

Here's an article in the FAQ one of our members did some time ago about buying a Westfield, but useful info in it still...

clicky

I'd suggest you can never write down all the things you learn as an owner, so make contact with the local area meeting, chat to guys at the speed series, post on here for help, talk to people face to face, and most importantly get someone who knows these cars to go with you when you see one you like.  The devil really is in the detail.

I would say... Attention to detail, history, condition.

Example: My first car was built by Ian (fatbaldbloke), and was much much more than the spec list suggested. Then I got greedy and bought a 'better' car on spec alone. Turned out to be a bit of a turkey and has taken me quite a lot of time, effort and money to get it where I want it. I have enjoyed the learning that came with it, but not sure I made the right choice with hindsight.

Echo everything everyone else has said :)