No more Mr Nice Guy.

Norman Verona

I empathise with you Norm, but I will never let one person who has **** on me make me change what I am. Yes it is annoying but for every bad one there are loads of good ones.

Similar to the builder, I once took a cheque for 4 new tyres which was stopped, car owner was a nasty piece of work so I took two tyre fitters with me we jacked up his car and took the wheels off, removed the tyres and put back 4 old bald ones and left him a note.

Police came around accusing me of theft but in those days Police were human , they went back and told him he was a nunney and should have paid for the tyres.

What dreadful people Norm - I'm sorry you had to suffer as a result of their thoughtlessness.

Re the cooker, a steamer/wallpaper stripper can work absolute wonders...

Jeff, I know what you mean. However out of 5 people I've helped out here in France, all 4 of the English ones have done the dirty on me. When I say helped, it has cost me time and/or money to help them out. The French lady I helped with her Fiat cylinder head was very grateful and we're still friends. The English can go eff themselves. The more I think about the more I get mad.

I can cope with it, but Lynne gets very upset and in her state of health i do not need it.

Bran, HM has a steam wotsit so I'll try it when I start on that gite again. Tomorrow is grass strimming time. My ride on is awaiting a belt, the push mower was lent to a friend who has brought it back (after a year) because it won't start and I can't get to the edges of the gites with the big tractor. So, I'll be strimming it. Problem is my back gives ip in 10 minutes.

Never mind, I take the view that I can moan about it on here so it can't be that bad.

Norman insist on a bond up front from so called friends, at least you then have some cash to pay someone else to do the dirty work if it goes tits up. If the ceiling is only stained paint it with oil based undercoat to stop the stain coming back through first and when dry emulsion it.

Sorry to hear this Norman but don't let it change what you are and your generosity.  If you do, then they've won!  Illegitimi non carborundum.

G&M, they were only supposed to stay a few weeks. We're not in the accommodation business. The gites are for friends and family only. When we did let them semi-commercially we charged £395 per week and filled the fridge and wine rack with 60€ of food and drink. As most conmen, they just insidiously stayed on until 9 months had passed.  If I wrote down all the stories it would make an amusing tale. Th ceiling has bowed when it was wet. If I was fit it wouldn't be a problem but I get breathless after 10 minutes work. I'll decide in the next day or so whether to get a local chap to come in and put a new piece in or just to paint it with emulsion for now. Probably get it fixed properly.

Mike, don't worry, I won't let the bar-stewards get me down. I'll probably not change but I will not help anymore strangers/casual acquaintances. Bad enough when your so called friend do it all over you.  

Norman, sorry to hear about this especially as they were Brits, do you know of any networking systems in the UK who could look out for them. Absolute ******s who don't deserve the help you extended to them. Crack on mate grass to cut. Then some lubrication to get rid of the dust.

Bob :d

That's a disappointing tale to have to tell Norm. Must be even more disheartening for you living abroad and having your fellow countrymen, from whom you might expect a bit of extra support, do the dirty on you.

And if I remember rightly, you aren't currently in a position to indulge in a good blat to make yourself feel better either.

Hopefully sharing it on here is in some way cathartic.

Ben

Not long before we arrive Norm, would be a giggle to give you a hand fixing something up. Before I became a photographer I was a painter so wouldn't take me to long to spruce a few things up for you....I'm good with tools, and,I still have all my digits......just sayin.! ;-)

Norm, please don't stop being helpful, we rely on it.. Not that this is about me :blush:

.. and good man for putting HM first, as I'm sure you always do :t-up:

I second this

Bob, we've noticed that a lot of the Brits here seem to have "baggage" They have left a partner in the UK and escapped to France with another man/women or they've left a failing business and settled here. Not all but more than you'd expect. 

A lot of them have formed into a Theatre Group. You wouldn't believe the way they all seem to dislike each other. Well maybe you will, as it's probably the same in the UK. Reminds me of The Archers annual Christmas play  :)

Ben, it is disappointing but I find Brits seem to want to know you for what they can get out of you. The FRench are not like that at all. The French friend who I rebuilt  her engine didn't ask and only wanted me to look and see what was wrong (the cam belt had broken) She almost got very annoyed when I said I'd do it for her.

Whereas the English couple who's Espace had a blown head gasket (20 hours in the time schedule) were really pleased that I volunteered to do it for nought. They did take us out for a meal. However when I was having real problems laying the tiles in our day room he gave me his price per metre to lay them for me. He's a tiler by trade. Then he asked if he could have some corrugated tin of an old barn and then took the whole barn. When I started to kick up a fuss HM asked me to leave it rather than create an argument. 

Some people we got friendly with phone one day that she thought her husband was having a heart attack. I told her to phone the medics. She said he wouldn't let her. We went there and ended up getting the medics in who treated him and sent him to Angers intensive care as he was having a heart attack. We took her back and forward to the hospital for the following week and the brought him home. I went every day with him for his 4 kilometre walk. This went on for about 6 months. Then we had some friends here and I was running late. HM phoned to say I was running late but was on the way. Nothing was said by the wife. When I got there the man was sitting out the back of his house with his son-in-law and turned dismissively to me and announced thay had been for his walk at 8 am and I wasn't needed, he then turned his back to me to continue his discussion with hie SIL. The wife then came bounding out the back door shouting that she's come with me on MY walk. I went but have never been there since. I ask how yjey are if I see them but that's it.

I won't go on, it gets boring.

Steve, many thanks for the offer but no thanks. You are on holiday and I'm hoping the weather will be OK for you. We have plenty of places for you to visit so you shouldn't get bored if the weather's not good enough to sit out during the day.

Stephan, I know, don't worry, it's only me letting of steam.

You are not alone Norman. My dad has lived just below Begerac for over 25 years and has many similar tales. He stopped helping Brits years ago !!!

Nick, in a way, whilst I feel for your dad, I'm pleased it's not just me.

I was beginning to think I was being targeted.  :cry:

He was always being asked for help Norman as he was a fluent French speaker and having been there that long knew all the right people, was great friends with the Mayor etc. His health has been failing recently he is now 88 and not doing so well after my mum died 3 years ago. But still loves France and won;t be back in the UK.

So just make sure you have more french friends :d :D and stay away from the Brits will baggage ! The same is true in Spain as well !!, so you are definatley not alone.

I often have to visit client sites around the world so meet a lot of ex-pats. In my experience there are two kinds:

1  those who proudly proclaim their Britishness and make little or no effort to learn the local language and culture

2  those who follow the maxim "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" and make every effort to integrate.

Type 1 often come across as isolated and bitter

Type 2 seem much happier and have an increasing pool of friends and a good insight into what makes people tick...