I don't know what to do now - advise please!

TAFKARM

Steve, don't you think it's a bit OTT when it's only the roll pin that's fallen out?

Very true,

Just merely trying to get the point that anyone can work on a westie, all the jobs are easy and not to be afraid of them.

It's amazing, people think working on cars is some form of black art, then you show them a job and there bowled over by its simplicity often commenting "is that it?" Or "I could have done that, easy"

I'm happy to help anyone, and it's nice to see someone else's skills improve along the way

Steve, I find that some people have mechanical aptitude and others don't.

This has nothing to do with training or job.

Those of us who have been trained and worked on cars for a living probably have more experience. However I've seen mechanics I would let oil my daughters pram wheels and bankers who I would happily allow to rebuild my brakes.

Norm

I agree, I can recall when I was an apprentice that some of the design engineers I worked with had no mechanical apptitude in the sense of hands on even though they could design mechanical equipment, it took me a while to get my head around that.

Russ is not in this place he wants to work on things but lacks some of the hands on skills that many of us have who just roll up our sleeves and get on with the work.

I have spoken to him and shown him what to look at and hopefully do, if he is struggling then I will be going round tomorrow lunchtime, 10mins work should put this one to bed (famous last words)

This is true, but that is due to training in my opinion. I believe I could teach anyone to do anything on a car with enough time. At the end of the day its not rocket science .

CL, I've sent him the workshop manual so he can see for himself.

Steve, if only. I've employed more school leavers who want, or have been told, to be car fitters. 

A few had no idea and all the training in the world wouldn't have taught them. Some were good at admin and were kept on as service receptionists, The rest had to go.

It's been said many times, it's mostly a case of common sense.

The only problem I have with that school of thought is why we call it "common" when it's so rare.

You are all stars, thanks for the support. Norm, email arrived thanks! Marto PM'd! Chris Spoken to and coffee drank!

Russ, to try and make you feel better....

One of our lads had a transmission failure....

The crown wheel punched a hole through the diff housing and....

Both proshaft joints sheared.... and

The teeth were stripped of the gearbox input shaft (sequential box)....  :cry:

Now that was something to be down about.....

I hope you get your gearbox sorted out soon, as others have said if you are not confident taking the top off the box and replacing the rollpin, NMS are a great bunch of lads and you will be well looked after there.

Garry

Just read through this and whilst I have absolutely nothing to offer,  I must just say what a truly exceptional Club this is.......  :t-up:   

Absolutely fantastic members ;)

Sycophantic mewing over !!

IT LIVES!!!!!!!

I can't say thanks enough to those that helped even through moral support and good vibes! Particularly to Martin who came over tonight and basically did it for me, Chris who gave me lots to think about at work (we work in the same office) and pictures of his set up which was invaluable for working out how to line it up and to Norman for sending me the full workshop manual through!

BIG THANKS!

It turns out anyway that I just had to do a bit of jiggling to get it lined up once I had a picture to reference what it should be like. the ther half of the pin was still stuck in so once that was bashed out we were pretty much home and dry. The replacement pin went in eventually with a big of a struggle, on Martins behalf, and lots of cups of tea on mine.

Top cover on, all sorted. Very short test drive in reverse first and second only but all seems good :d

Just need to put the rest of it back together now........roll on some more good weather!

:d :D :d

• Like 1

Good news, and well done everyone. :t-up:

Excellent.  Club to the rescue again and well donr those that helped.

Happy to help Russ,

Get the rest back together and we can get out for a test run, it'll be good to have a another local westy to play with  :t-up:

Well done all :)