Reaction to Westfields

Safir

My missus was driving my discovery back from Stoneleigh. If anyone got stuck behind her I apologise :d

Very true. I did stop behind a Range Rover at traffic lights a year ago, he decided he wanted to reverse but did not see me as I was very low. Just scrapped my nose cone a bit. I now make a point of stopping a good 20feet behind the car in front at any traffic hold ups in town.

I always have left enough room to see wheels of car in front make contact with ground, clearly! But most drivers see this as enough room to squeeze their Nissan duke into. The three worst driven cars tend to be:

Golf, over confident, race car wanna be's. seen a few on their roof's in people's gardens or drives!

Micra, under confident clueless dotty morons that shouldn't be on the road.

Duke, look at me, look at me, look at me. I'm bigger than you, I'm a micra driver that's made it. Usually disability vehicles and clearly there's visibility issues from the drivers seat.

However these are generalisations I have made up myself. In my personal incidents only the golf has hit me. As a whole group people carriers cover all of the above and top the list.

Oh, could I also add that everyone got upset with my reports on driving... You were all in tin tops and never had an issue. I used my Westfield as daily drive, 500-600 miles a week... In Birmingham.

Various instructors I've spoken too over the years have all said much the same as Stephen, with respect to separation in queues; leave enough of a gap that you can see road between you from your drivers seat. Yes it is difficult sometimes, in the heaviest of traffic. But still worth trying to achieve.

Yes it is difficult sometimes, in the heaviest of traffic. But still worth trying to achieve.

I've never had an issue... Other than people trying to fit in the gap and driving into me during their attempts!

The three worst driven cars tend to be:

Golf, over confident, race car wanna be's. seen a few on their roof's in people's gardens or drives!

Micra, under confident clueless dotty morons that shouldn't be on the road.

Duke, look at me, look at me, look at me. I'm bigger than you, I'm a micra driver that's made it. Usually disability vehicles and clearly there's visibility issues from the drivers seat.

I never assume that a particular car brand is more or less likely to be driven badly. My general assumption is that the worst driven car is the one with the worst driver. Could be a Merc, a Micra or (heaven help us) a Westfield  :blush:

ps - Stephen - what's a Duke?

Think he means Juke (Nissan) rather than Duc (Ducati).

Thanks Ben - makes perfect sense now!

Defensive driving. I've only had problems with tailgaters on the motorway. Dash operated brake light and drop a few gears sorts that out.

I keep aware of everything going on around me (unless I drop of to sleep).

I can't think of any incident, other than on the motorway, that resembles any of the above. 

And before a certain person arrives, I have driven through London, Birmingham & Manchester as well as, of course, Sheffield.

My car has been black and yellow, which are natures warning colours, for about 9 years now. Whilst I expect people to pull out in front of me and I drive accordingly, I get the feeling that I get seen more now than when it was green and yellow.

My driving's very defensive. Has to be, when stationary I get driven into, so when moving... And I notice everything around me and adjust... Why in all but two of my incidents I was stationary. But all in Birmingham... Hmmm...

:laugh:

Cheers Ben, yes juke. I also agree it's driver over a particular car, but seeing many cars on a daily basis they seem to stand out. I've seen shocking driving from many cars... More so in the last few years, not just Birmingham.

Round here (mainly small country roads) it seems to be 'certain' 4x4 drivers who think their vehicle is 9 foot wide, and come round corners taking up 2/3 of the road!

• Like 1

rarely have any problems with other road users TBH

I you constantly have problems it is probably your driving style? :laugh::p

• Like 1

As above - can't remember any instance of an 'issue'. Although, I don't drive a lot of road miles in the Westy and when I do it's outside peak times. Combined with most of my road driving being done towing a car & trailer, I think it's made me a pretty 'defensive' driver and I have to look way ahead all the time.

Round here (mainly small country roads) it seems to be 'certain' 4x4 drivers who think their vehicle is 9 foot wide, and come round corners taking up 2/3 of the road!

This is the one i get a lot living in the country side, massive audi 4x4's and such like about 3 feet away from the bank meaning a good 1/3 of their car is on your side of the road! :banghead: 

The only problem drivers in Cornwall are the tourists !!