BMW z3 anygood?

wacomuk

Good shout on the RX8 if you don't mind looking after it.

I've always liked the RX8 too, apart from the fuel bill which matches a V8. Effectively mid engined handling, seats 4 six-footers and the engine revs so smoothly it has a chime to tell you it's approaching the red line. I see them as a high maintenance choice, but a mate of mine has one for the past 18 months and he shows it no more attention than the fiesta it replaced. It also uses less oil than my Alfa 156!

Ben

Never been a fan of the RX8, w**kle is WW2 tech developed by the Germans to be an efficient, small engine for their vehicles. But they saw it was a flawed idea. I think porsche took the concept on, but gave up. Then Mazda took it on. I think MX5's are starting to come out with the w**kle engine now, but I could be wrong, and I just think the w**kle burns too much oil and services are too close for one to be well maintained and much good after a few miles.

This is opinion and I could be soon corrected!

I absolutely loved my RX-8 PZ.  :t-up:

231bhp and fettled by Prodrive, although I remember immediately replacing the stock Bridgestone RE040's for 50A's as they were useless in the wet. Yes it lacked torque, yes you had to rev the nuts off it, yes you had to watch the oil, yes you needed to buy shares in Shell and yes, those rear doors were a PITA, especially with young kids.

But she was completely reliable, comfortable and driver focused, (up front), well specced and when it all came together and hooked up, especially on nice twisty B roads on a warm, sunny day with the windows down, it felt like a mini GT car and myself and the good lady enjoyed a wonderful summer touring in it. Also got invited to an experience day at Prodrive, (as most owners did) and seeing what the RX8 could do, in the hands of a skilled driver, really showed off it's capabilities.

Happy days! :)

Being pedantic, the Brabus was the tuned one, and it had a single turbo, like all the others, but with a higher state of tune - a heady 110bhp. Smart did however develop a couple of V6 prototype versions by combining two of the 3 cylinder turbo units to make a 1.2 litre twin turbo V6 with 180 bhp. They took journos out for demos in them on a press launch, but unfortunately they weren't very reliable. I was in the last remaining one when it went pop while hunting down a 911 Carrera 2. Pity, because I reckon we'd have had it otherwise. I like them anyway, but one with an engine transplant would be awesome.

Ben

SWMBO has had the coupe version from new and loves it to death. We have been trying to get her to move into a newer car, but she won't change it.

Must admit it's a hoot to drive with the flappy padal shift, just needs about 60 more horses

I absolutely loved my RX-8 PZ.  :t-up:

231bhp and fettled by Prodrive, although I remember immediately replacing the stock Bridgestone RE040's for 50A's as they were useless in the wet. Yes it lacked torque, yes you had to rev the nuts off it, yes you had to watch the oil, yes you needed to buy shares in Shell and yes, those rear doors were a PITA, especially with young kids.

But she was completely reliable, comfortable and driver focused, (up front), well specced and when it all came together and hooked up, especially on nice twisty B roads on a warm, sunny day with the windows down, it felt like a mini GT car and myself and the good lady enjoyed a wonderful summer touring in it. Also got invited to an experience day at Prodrive, (as most owners did) and seeing what the RX8 could do, in the hands of a skilled driver, really showed off it's capabilities.

Happy days! :)

That sounds a bit like my S2000. had to drive the engine like a motorbike and no torque. but smooth.

as i said, opinon based and i'm glad someone else has a better opinon.

i think the best thing would be to have £3k in cash, look at cars in auto trader, free ads, ebay and the like for £3-£3.5k and offer the cash there and then after a test drive. the right car will choose you!

You haven't been too specific with what you want from a car, but since you mentioned the z3 I'll focus on that type.

I would consider anything 

the misses says no way to a smart roadster  :(

I loved my RX8 and our Smart Roadster! As a matter of fact SWMBO was looking at Roadsters tonight, maybe getting another! :)

I'd buy this because it has 604bhp allegedly! :)

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/e39-5-series-96-04/bmw-540i-factory-sat-nav-sunroof-stunning-condition/1171179

Sorry, haven't worked out hyperlinks on the iPad yet... :(

Wahey! It did it anyway! :)

That BMW looks good for £3k. Although 177k...

Our little round town tin top has 165k and is reliable as ever. Still holds a decent spend on motorways when Mrs C's driving it. She drives that thing faster than me! Gets in, just wants to get to where she's going! Been on a speed awareness course due to her driving! I've a clean licence! So guessing it'll be ok fit a few miles.

My E39 swallowed the miles well, but from about 120k miles to the 140k ish mark when it went it did start having regular attacks of the gremlins. 

I'm not sure, however nice it looked, I'd be entirely trusting of one at that milage, unless it was so cheap you could just walk away from it at the first big issue.

The degree of electronic control on every system is just mind boggling though, and most systems are interlinked. Like that one, mine was the auto. IIRC the car had seven ecu's for all the different systems. All on CANBUS and all communicating.

I currently have a 3.0si Z4 and previously owned a 2.8 Z3. I have enjoyed both. The Z4 has a great engine, but for the money you're considering an older 2.8 Z3 would be a great little car. I had no problem with my Z3 (hence why I now have a Z4) and would happily recommend it.

Roger

There is a nice 02 Merc CLK 3.2 V6 near me for sale but its done 135k miles are they good for it? its got FSH