BMW z3 anygood?

wacomuk

Mate of mine had a Z3M roadster - cracking bit of kit at the time but cost an absolute fortune to keep on the road.  Suspect that there may be more than a few neglected ones out there now as a result.

Would be surprised if you could get S2000 under 3k - thought they were still more lik 5-6.  Get an insurance quote if you're tempted... may give nasty shock!

An S2K for under 3 grand?!

Quick eBay search, first one...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140961605859?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

They are pretty cheap now. I got one with 28k, was Sunday toy for some bloke, £4,500. 2005 model in perfect nick, full Honda service history. That was 2010, although I didn't like it myself, many people love them!

Quick eBay search, first one...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140961605859?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

They are pretty cheap now. I got one with 28k, was Sunday toy for some bloke, £4,500. 2005 model in perfect nick, full Honda service history. That was 2010, although I didn't like it myself, many people love them!

Last time I checked, £3299 was more than £3k rather than less :-)

Quick eBay search, first one...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140961605859?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Suspiciously cheap IMO...cheapest on PH is 4250, with 193k on it!

Take care with Z3Ms because the torque has often been known to wrench the diff off the floorpan if not beefed up. It's traffic light grandprix starts that do it, not higher gear performance.

Sorry guys, but I have had a Z3 2.2 Sport for over three years and as a weekend top down cruiser I love it. The six cylinder engine sounds glorious and it's smooth and silky. The shape is a matter of taste but the later ones (mine was built a couple of days before they changed the line over to Z4s in June 2002) are nicer looking than the earlier (pre-A*** lift) ones - especially the 1.9. I could have had a high mileage Z4 for the same money (my Z3 had only 28000 on it) but they were tatty by comparison and I don't like the rear of the roadsters because they look like a chicken that's had its backside kicked! :p

My son has a Z4M Coupé and that is a different matter - goes like ordure from a hot shovel is the term that comes to mind! :d

You have to me a bit careful with the z range and their indesciminant use o

M but mocb is right the 3.2 z go quick the 3.0 is no slouch either but there is a massive difference between the two. Pretty much everything mechanically and then there is the road tax :o

The z4 is hands down better than an old mx5

You haven't been too specific with what you want from a car, but since you mentioned the z3 I'll focus on that type.

It was built in the states which took the edge off the usual Teutonic build standards, and as mentioned above, the 1.9 variety was no sportscar. If just want undemanding A to B with roof down then it will do but the other engines, 2.0, 2.2, 2.8 and 3.0 made it more muscular and enjoyable. I'd have a 3.0 litre - there are some nicely maintained ones about, and prices are nice and low because of the 1.9 associated stigma they all tend to get tarred with. The M version is a real weapon but considerably more expensive to buy and run because its a bonefide exotic.

You won't get a worthwhile s2000 for sub £3k but prices aren't too far off. Some people seem to have very poor experience with this car, but personally I think its one of the best. They are very susceptible to chassis set up and even from the factory some weren't great but once you've had a proper geo set up, as with a westy, they deliver.

You won't get a z4 at that money. You might get a leggy boxster, but parts/servicing are more than you'd want with that sort of budget.

Original slks are still very prolific, and you never see a rough one, unlike other mercs of that vintage. Lots that have been garaged, low mileage runabout 'for the little lady'. Again, not really a sportscar, but a fine cruiser and the trick roof still impresses. If you want the same mechanicals, but newer, you might find a crossfire for your budget.

My suggestion? If you don't do big miles - Smart roadster. They do 50mpg and whilst not very powerful, the tiny size and weight offsets this. Its a car you almost wear. The robotised clutchless manual gearbox earned it plenty of criticism from reviews but in truth you quickly adapt to it and anticipating the changes actually adds to the driving experience. You'll need a garage tho because the roofs can leak sometimes but that's the price for a roof that can go up or down at any speed you want.

HTH

Ben

Ps went through a similar buying process for my girlfriend, but once she got into a TT roadster, there was no showing her anything else. We went for the 150bhp front wheel drive version as its lighter and less to go wrong. She loves it but they're high maintenance.

Had a 2.8 BMW Z3 Auto, great little car but that was some years ago now and the mileage was low. I think some of the 2.8 models suffered with engine issues, so get as later one as possible if you do get one :-)

Last time I checked, £3299 was more than £3k rather than less :-)

C'mon, ask for a WSCC owners club 10% discount! That would take it under. I didn't even spend 2 mins looking, so sure a decent look would find one under £3k. Couple of years ago a mate tried selling his and had huge issues because there was so many for sale. He still can't sell it.

Ben suggested a smart roadster, I looked at a smart roadster AMG bi turbo. Sommin like a twin turbo 600cc engine with 125bhp (all from my useless memory) and was compared to a 911. Tax free out in Germany, so really cheap. Drove one and soon changed my mind.

5th gear did a good review of this the other week. the bufget was a bit different i think the average 2nd hand car price of 5.3K ish

their conclusion were

boxter if you want the best sportscar. 3.2 only  but your on very old ones at that price

Z4 3.0i best alround every day car. head and shoulders better build than boxter. newer age than boxter better spec for cash than boxter. better reliability as its basically 3/5 series bits.

IMO the body stlye change they did to the z3 made it better. the one where the rear arches went from smooth to having a bat wing crease in them

Plato's out there car was a mazda RX8. basically he said cheap as chips. his was sub2K. get the 190 bhp one and spend the difference (to the others) on fuel and oil

if you can get it get a 3.0l. for me its fast, reliable when maintained right, comfortable to drive, economical when not thrashing. (euqal/better than my 1.8 focus for sure) and just sounds lovely

my  mum bought a Z4 3.0 for 6k and it's a cracking car.... very relaxed cruising and good pull for a 75 yr old !!

Ben suggested a smart roadster, I looked at a smart roadster AMG bi turbo. Sommin like a twin turbo 600cc engine with 125bhp (all from my useless memory) and was compared to a 911. Tax free out in Germany, so really cheap. Drove one and soon changed my mind.

Being pedantic, the Brabus was the tuned one, and it had a single turbo, like all the others, but with a higher state of tune - a heady 110bhp. Smart did however develop a couple of V6 prototype versions by combining two of the 3 cylinder turbo units to make a 1.2 litre twin turbo V6 with 180 bhp. They took journos out for demos in them on a press launch, but unfortunately they weren't very reliable. I was in the last remaining one when it went pop while hunting down a 911 Carrera 2. Pity, because I reckon we'd have had it otherwise. I like them anyway, but one with an engine transplant would be awesome.

Ben

• Like 1

Never been a fan of the RX8, w**kle is WW2 tech developed by the Germans to be an efficient, small engine for their vehicles. But they saw it was a flawed idea. I think porsche took the concept on, but gave up. Then Mazda took it on. I think MX5's are starting to come out with the w**kle engine now, but I could be wrong, and I just think the w**kle burns too much oil and services are too close for one to be well maintained and much good after a few miles.

This is opinion and I could be soon corrected!

Being pedantic, the Brabus was the tuned one, and it had a single turbo, like all the others, but with a higher state of tune - a heady 110bhp. Smart did however develop a couple of V6 prototype versions by combining two of the 3 cylinder turbo units to make a 1.2 litre twin turbo V6 with 180 bhp. They took journos out for demos in them on a press launch, but unfortunately they weren't very reliable. I was in the last remaining one when it went pop while hunting down a 911 Carrera 2. Pity, because I reckon we'd have had it otherwise. I like them anyway, but one with an engine transplant would be awesome.

Ben

Yes, brabus, not AMG, as I said... "All from memory". I wasn't too far out, it was almost 10 years ago!