LYDDEN

RICHARD+PHILIP

I'm getting in the mood for it now - the final instructions dropped thru the front door yesterday.

This will be my FIRST WSCC event this year - I had a bit of a lie-in this year!

We just need to pray for some dry weather so that we can do the track justice.

Jeeez I love Paddock bend......

Anyway I look forward to meeting up with the you guys that I haven't seen since Wiscombe LAST year!

Gary D

Schumachers - you should have your regs by now - you're both in. If not, give me a bell.

Dickie B

PS Where are all the Class A people???? Too far south for you? It's OK for us to come up north, but you lot won't come down south!

me too... :(

Still loads of evening time between now and the weekend.... Anyone know any head skimmers that are open 24 hours ?

Not much of an entry at Lydden. 60 ish cars total ?

Anyone heard from 3 Sisters  ???  ???  ???  Bit late for them  ???  :(  And its probably still be gonna freezing up there in July  :arse:  :)  ;)

What is the problem then Blatman ?  Is it just that it won't start, or do you have other things wrong with it ?

The only reason I entered the sprint was to put names to faces.  It seems half of you didn't enter and the ones that did might pull out!

Can't you use the T-car  ;)

Also, would I be right in thinking that Adrian normally runs in class 8 but is only in with Tom Green et al because of the British Sprint rule about sequential boxes ?

Ian

Whats the problem? Don't know for sure ???

I have re-built the top end, so new inlet cam, new valve springs, and some porting. Bottom end is as before. It was always a sluggish starter, but it would always fire (unless it had been raining, when a tow start might be required).

So, re-assemble, and it turns over far too slowly to even draw any fuel out the carbs. Higher amp battery doesn't seem to help, Brise (V. expensive) starter doesn't fit (although Tim Brise, VERY helpful, and recommended), may have sourced one that will. It should arrive tomorrow, along with a second mortgage application.....

So, new, standard, Sierra starter will go on today, hopefully, and we'll see. The rest of the ignition and fuel system has been checked, cleaned, and confirmed as working properly, with the exception of the Magnetronic box in the dizzy. That gets tested this morning too, BUT, it's only an energised coil winding producing a magnetic field, AFAIK, so not much to go wrong there.

Dave Andrews has been incredibly helpful with advice over the past few months, and my engine mirrors his in spec, with the exception of my carbs (48's) versus his FI system. His starts with a very old, standard (AFAIK) Sierra starter, and a "normal" battery. I can't find anythig in the electrics that would draw enough power to ruin the cranking capacity of a 600amp battery, so I'm a little stuck.

I might use the spare car, but only if the refund is small. I'm making that call today. A full refund see's me (*thwack* ouch) sorry, us, pulling out. A refund of less than about 75% of the fee see's me wanting to come and play, in the 'T' car......again........although I'm tempted to attend just to come along and say hi to a few folk.

Whatever happens though, the sprint/hillclimb car is out of action for the 4th event this season, with what, on the face of it, shouldn't be something that is beyond the wit of (Blat) man to fix........

Now, where's them regs.........

Problems like yours are often down to duff wiring or a duff starter.  If it has always been slow to crank then that sounds like the most likely candidate.  I guess you have quite a high compression, but as you say, Dave has no problems with his.  I suppose you have double checked all the earth straps ?  Have you actually had it running at all after the rebuild ?  Once it has been tow-started and warmed up is it any easier to re-start the next time ?

Ian

Yeah, I've checked all the wiring. It hasn't run at all, bar the briefest of coughs when fuel was actually introduced directly into the bores. I haven't tried a tow start yet, 'cos I have a new cam to bed in, and I'm concerned about knackering it immediately. My focus is definitely on the starter, as I can't think of anything else that would draw that much juice from the battery. Would a duff earth really cause a 600amp pulldown through the positive battery cable? I can't see it, but I don't know...........a duff starter probably could though.......

Compression shouldn't be any higher than last year, as the pistons and head/valves are the same. Only the ports, valve springs, and inlet cam have changed.

It spins OK when the plugs are out, so compression is definitely a factor, but with empirical evidence (ie it worked last year, Dave Andrews has no problems) I can't see what else has changed to cause it to be such a pig now.

Are you sure that you've got the cam and ignition timing right?

Always a danger when dismantling heads / cams. I take it that you've cranked her over with no plugs in etc etc etc?

John

It spins OK when the plugs are out

Yep..........

Cam and ingition have been triple checked, to the point of second guessing everything and everybody who touches it.....

Ah, I didn't realise you were actually using the 600amps of your battery.  Dodgy earth is unlikely to be your problem then and it does sound like the starter unless your timing is too advanced but you must have checked that.

I know what you mean about cam worries, you can knock one out quite quickly with repeated attempts at starting.  Last time I rebuilt an engine I was all ready to fire it up at about 11pm.  20 minutes at 2500rpm seems like an eternity - I'm sure the neighbours loved it  :D

Ian

The ammeter is one of those 'hold it on the big live cable' types, and it was drawing 600amps when we turned the key. First battery was rated at 380amps...........Battery currently on it is rated at 590amps. I really don't want to have to fork out over 150quid for a red top from Demon Tweeks, but with 1100 cranking amps, I'll only ever have to buy it once....

I've bought a Yuasa battery (thanks GeeFin), but they measure the output a different way, so until I fit it on, there'll be no way of telling if it's enough. If it ain't, then I'll have a spare for the Green Meenie, and it was only 35 quid. Perhaps tomorrow............If the Yuasa proves up to the job, I'll be posting up details of the incredibly good value it is. If it doesn't, I'll be finding out what sort of returns policy the supplier has..........