French menu's

Norman Verona

I'm not bothered about English translations on a menu, I like the lucky dip approach. If I ended up with pigs parts on my plate, so be it. My friends ordered of a German menu, they were sure theywere going to get a nice juicy steak - Steak Tartare, I'm sure you all know what that is.

I made the same error myself in france a couple of years back but was pleasantly surprised by the taste and actually really enjoyed the meal once i'd overcome the fact that i was eating a raw egg cracked over a plate of cold mince :oops:

Lucky dip is always best :d every meal is a new adventure. I don't see the point of going abroad and then only eating english food.

Made me laugh, all they ate was a bit of salad that come with it.

There is a restaurant a few miles from here that grilles his meat over an open fire. I'm not a meat lover, prefer fish but the steaks he produces are really magnificent. You need to eat them the French way, rare but it's making my mouth water just talking about it.

I'll try anything once. Even the runny sausage they serve up. I and a friend went into a cafe for lunch before we moved here. The owner explained that that days meal wasn't for the English. It was the runny sausage. We had it and it was OK. The Brits over here won't touch it, it's as if they will die if they eat it.

Actually a lot of the Brits go back to the UK regularly to get baked beans and bacon. We get bacon in the supermarket by asking them to slice the ham very thin. They now know what to do and it's fine. I just wonder why people move here if they can't live without baked beans.

ed to add that I think the sausage is called  Andouillette

We were in Monaco in the 70's thought we would try a french chinese restaraunt for a change , the menu's were written in french and chinese , no english spoken , we were starving so ordered what looked like a decent sounding dish , waiter gave us a dumb look as he took the order ,

20mins later a bowl of fried rice and chop sticks arrived , nothing else just fried rice and chop sticks , stick to english speaking joints ever since , could never understand why all them foriegners dont speak english :t-up:

Bernie, where's your sense of culinary adventure?

Bernie, we have a Chinese restaurant in a nearby town. The menu is almost the same as an English Chinese. You just need to know the French words for the dishes which is a lot easier than it sounds.

Agree that the sausage looks and sounds disgusting. But it's not as bad as that. It won't do you any harm, at least I didn't see any Frenchman laying on the ground dying.

Bernie, we have a Chinese restaurant in a nearby town. The menu is almost the same as an English Chinese. You just need to know the French words for the dishes which is a lot easier than it sounds.

Agree that the sausage looks and sounds disgusting. But it's not as bad as that. It won't do you any harm, at least I didn't see any Frenchman laying on the ground dying.

Ive seen better looking food outside the chinese restaraunt

any friday night after 12pm

Wigan, food capital of the world. Must remember that.

We have an English friend who lived in Samaur and worked at a large food processing plant as the H&S manage.

He reckons the French make the best food in the world ..... and the worst. Not sure I've had the worst yet. The cafe's serve up set menu lunches from as little as 9€ for three course. 

Steve, would you say that you're better at French living in Canada then you were when in the UK?

Lynne has a friend who's not bad at English and is married to a French Canadian. His English is very good.

I can't claim any fame at knowing much French ,although,I have as you suggest picked up more than when I lived in the UK. Linda on the other hand does very well with French.

I'm not bothered about English translations on a menu, I like the lucky dip approach. If I ended up with pigs parts on my plate, so be it. My friends ordered of a German menu, they were sure theywere going to get a nice juicy steak - Steak Tartare, I'm sure you all know what that is.

I love steak tartare - shame it's not more widely available in UK.  I once ordered it when out with a Texan couple in Spain, and the lady copied me.  Asked her afterwards if she enjoyed it.  "I thought it was a little underdone" was her most serious answer.

One of the nicest meals we ever had was in an inland village in Cataluna, where the menu and the waitress were just in Catalan.  We couldn't read or understand a thing and she couldn't understand us.  We ended up with goat (I think) , but it was wonderfully cooked and we had a great time. 

I spent some time with the Gurkhas and the only good curry is a goat curry.

Have to admit that, whilst I'll try most things*, my experience of andouillette has not been the best. It smells and tastes to me as though the intestines have not been adequately cleaned  :(   --  but I admit it's never killed me (or even sent me post-haste to the bathroom).

I had another "it obviously doesn't kill them" moment many years ago when I found myself in a meeting in Düsseldorf where the lunch served was a large plate of "Mett" (spiced, minced raw pork) and some bread rolls. After noticing that the local population did not seem to be diminishing in number, I tucked in. It's delicious.

* Won't do monkey brains, on principle!

Raw meat will not kill you, and if you take a steak anything past rare its a waste