French menu's

Norman Verona

Yes, I encountered Mett (also at a business lunch) whilst I  lived in Germany years ago. I'm not a big meat eater anyway, so I can't say  early liked it, but it wasn't as bad as I expected and certainly better than the sort of steak Tartare like filling in some of the other sandwiches.

On the other hand, in a business trip to Delhi years ago, our local contact, after a day of steering us clear of "local dishes", took us on a guided tour of the hotel menu one night. Still have no idea what we ate, but it was the most amazing selection of proper Indian cuisine.

We were on holiday in Sweden. Went into the local restaurant. The girl spoke English (everyone did) and when I selected "3 types of raw fish" she tried to talk me out of it because "The English do not like this".

It was salted herring, a herring in oil which is widely eaten in the Jewish community and called Shmultz Herring and, I think some salmon. It was delicious.

Sequel was that beer and spirits are taxed to the hilt in Sweden to curb excess drinking. When a pint was £1 in the UK, in Sweden a small beer was £5. You could only buy spirits from the state run off licences and a bottle of Whiskey was £50. The shops were open for 1 hour a day.

We came out of the restaurant to find the street littered in bodies. I went back in and asked the girl what was happening. 

She explained that people clubbed together to brew their own rot-gut. Then on Saturday nights they would bring lemonade bottles of it into town and drink themselves unconscious. Great example of a law having exactly the opposite effect to that intended.

Norman, do they serve extra unnecessary apostrophes in French restaurants for free or do you have to pay extra for them? ;)

N'o ide'a what' you mea'n

Don't worry Scott, he's just nicked them off Steve!

• Like 1

:laugh:  You're on form today, Dave! :t-up:

sure' i's, I wonde'r how long' I can kee'p thi's up.

Anyway, Ill pack them up in a bag and send them back to him, isnt it.

sure' i's, I wonde'r how long' I can kee'p thi's up.

Anyway, Ill pack them up in a bag and send them back to him, isnt it.

Funny, at first glance, it looks like Norm's speakin' "Yorkshire"

I'm a rite doo-da don't you know.  :)