French menu's

Norman Verona

Every year I translate friends of our's, who have a restaurant, menu into English. 

I've done all the food stuff but wondered if I needed to do the drinks.

So, would you understand the drinks pages if they are in French?

The vast majority of the drinks themselves are self explanatory but how about:

Nos Aperitifs, Nos digestifs, Boissons chaudes diverses, Nos vins en carafe  Etc.

Most of what follows these headings probably explain the heading but what do you think. Could save me an hours work.

So the French like a wholesome buscuit with their drink too I see :d

Norman

"Aperitifs", "digestifs", "vins" and "carafe" are pretty much adopted English words. "Various hot drinks" and "infusions" (particularly "tisane") are a little more problematic.

Sure do. However their digestive is in liquid form and is devoid of chocolate.

David, I agree but what follows the heading makes it easier to understand.

I'll get Calude to send me his original pages and I'll just change the headings and the two or three items than can be anglicised, like cafe to coffee and the to tea. I think I'll leave Blanc and Rouge as they are so French it would be a pity to change them.

Thanks. 

My better half says, no problem leave them as

is..

Steve, would you say that you're better at French living in Canada then you were when in the UK?

Lynne has a friend who's not bad at English and is married to a French Canadian. His English is very good.

My ex wife did the same for a restaurant we visited once as we didn't think was fair to offer tourists a salad of hot goat! In fairness, they had translated the rest pretty well, and certainly better than me trying to translate an English menu into French!

:)

The reason I volunteered to do the translation was when they had a dish......

........A plate of pig parts.

• Like 1

:)

........A plate of pig parts.

Yup, encountered several of those sort of "translations"  --  what was the French?

I think it was "assiette porc". Was about 6 years ago so can't remember.

They had a starter which translated as "peasants pie" but I called it "Farmers pie"

We always suggest it to guests and have never had any bad comments. In the summer they open up the courtyard and it has a really good atmosphere. Actually, apart from the hotel, which is a bit poncy,  Creveche D'or (the Golden Riding Crop) is the only restaurant in town.

Our farm is 3.75 Hectres, about 9 acres. The nearest neighbour is about a half a  kilometre away. We are about in the middle of two villages, each about 1 km away. "our" village has a small shop and a bar. The other village has a bar. The nearest town is about 12 kms away and has the doctors, blood lab, bank, 2 cafe's and the restaurant. 

I love it, HM sometimes says it's like being on a desert island.

I'm not bothered about English translations on a menu, I like the lucky dip approach. If I ended up with pigs parts on my plate, so be it. My friends ordered of a German menu, they were sure theywere going to get a nice juicy steak - Steak Tartare, I'm sure you all know what that is.