Thatcher dead

Norman Verona

Most people remember her as the first female Prime Minister.

She always said that she would wish to be remembered as the first Prime Minister with a science degree.

Jeff, I agree that the unions and Scargill needed sorting out. However it wasn't a governments job to take them on directly and use the police to do it. If she had set the legislation the bosses would have been in a position to sort it out. The reason they hadn't up to then was that the strikes and undemocratic methods used by some of the unions weren't illegal.

In my and many others view the closing of the pits was an act of retribution. She had McGregor close the pits and put thousands out of work directly, devastate whole communities and create more unemployment to the shopkeepers and other local services and then import "cheap" coal from Poland. The coal on it's own may have been cheaper, the cost of resultant benefits added to the "cheap" coal made the whole exercise dearer.

Many have said how resolved and unflinching she was. This, in my view was the reason many loath her. She wouldn't moderate, if she felt a head on clash using her police force was going to sort it out then that was what she did. No attempt to show resolve and negotiate. Just use violence to push her way forward.

Would the UN have voted in favour of Argentina? The US wouldn't, the French wouldn't, Russia and China may have abstained but Argentina was a right wing military dictatorship, not really a friend of Communism. Had she started assembling the task force in a very public manner and gone to the UN I think the war would have had the backing, if not the assistance, of the UN and may have been over without so much bloodshed.

As for selling council housing do you think that's why people have to live in 1 bed flats and pay £300 a week for the privilege, mostly paid out of benefits? Rachmanism is alive and well due to the lack of "social" housing.

Anyway, the population voted for her, even when unemployment was at 3 million so I'm probably a lone voice in the wilderness.

• Like 1

You got another one here Norm, I wish her peace wherever she is now,I wish more that she had not shoved her iron will down the throats of so many unable to defend themselves.

Well put Steve.

Kinnock said, yesterday, that she created a "selfish society". I had said that she created greed. Maybe he was more accurate than my description.

She did indeed create a whole new mindset for the selfish society which still exists today. A nasty offshoot of that is the mindset that it is fair game to screw as much out of the system as possible, ie welfare, social security etc.

What I find troubling is reports that an increasing element seem to want to celebrate her death and to disrupt her funeral. Why are the media giving these people air time?

Whatever people think of her that is simply wrong.

• Like 1

Well, someone's doing well out of it all.

Clicky

Xtr2, I'm one of her biggest critics, I find it disgusting and disgraceful to celebrate her death.

Whatever she did, she did, right or wrong she did with the best intentions. 

However, we still live in a free(ish) society so they are entitled to celebrate and demonstrate if they so wish.

Also disgusted to see `people`? celebrating the passing of Lady Thatcher. :(

Look at the news footage though......

Uneducated,scruffy,likely unemployed and mostly too young to know anything of her.The behaviour of the Scots is no surprise though.

The human race never ceases to amaze me! :arse:  :arse:

The reason I say `uneducated` ,is that an educated person would not behave in such a manner.

Whatever has happened to dignity and respect. :down:  ???

If Lady Thatcher hadn`t been the person she was,we would all be using the bus,living in a council house,likely going on strike every week and wasting our income propping up the unions.

And definitely no WESTIES.

End of rant (Scott ,I know it`s not Saturday)......and yes my car is BLUE...... :d

..... :(

It's not uneducated IMHO - my late father in law was a 14 year old school leaver, and therefore ill-educated, but a natural gentleman nonetheless - it's just plain pig-ignorant. I find the behaviour of these oiks to be shameful, and am disgusted that the media are doing any more than simply mention that some are not sorry at her demise. I am glad that WSCC Forum is above such behaviour. There are those in politics whom I find loathesome, but none of them would get any form of celebration from me at their passing.

It's not uneducated IMHO - my late father in law was a 14 year old school leaver, and therefore ill-educated, but a natural gentleman nonetheless - it's just plain pig-ignorant. I find the behaviour of these oiks to be shameful, and am disgusted that the media are doing any more than simply mention that some are not sorry at her demise. I am glad that WSCC Forum is above such behaviour. There are those in politics whom I find loathesome, but none of them would get any form of celebration from me at their passing.

Yes....I see where you are coming from,but as you say `illeducated,but......`

These morons appear to have had no education,therefore,`uneducated`....

Don`t you just love a WSCC forum?

I'll go with morons willingly!  :yes:

“Let’s privatise her funeral. Put it out to competitive tender and accept the cheapest bid. It’s what she would have wanted.” – Ken Loach

“Let’s privatise her funeral. Put it out to competitive tender and accept the cheapest bid. It’s what she would have wanted.” – Ken Loach

No No No..........Mr Loach.

She`s getting exactly the funeral she would have wanted..and

She`s getting exactly the funeral she deserves.

I'm afraid I disliked her and her politics intensely.

W.R.T "celebrating" her death, I'd rather we didn't spend a whole bunch of money on the lavish funeral being planned to "celebrate" her life either.