Thatcher dead

Norman Verona

She created such a stir that many people find it impossible to take a balanced view.

She got lots of things wrong (in hindsight), but also lots of things right.

Indisputable fact: she left a greater and more enduring legacy of change than any other 20th century politician except (arguably) Attlee.

She should be remembered for conviction, commitment and steel.

My view is she did a good job in taming the unions. They needed bringing under control and the Labour party couldn't do this.

However, the UN could have sorted out Argentina without all that loss of life, on both sides.

She has set the anti-EU culture. I would have got stuck in and changed it from within instead of standing on the outside complaining.

But, did she really need to decimate our mining industry. All those men put out of work and whole communities devastated. She was right to stand up to Scargill but not to take revenge on the miners. We now buy cheaper coal from places like Poland. But if you add the cost of putting a whole industry out of work, just the financial cost, not the human one, it may well have cost more over the long term.

On first thoughts the community charge (poll tax) seemed sensible. Until you realise the a house with an elderly widow would pay the same as the same house with mum, dad and 4 kids working and earning.

The serious biographies will be published over the next few months and I will buy one and see what their conclusion is.

Interesting take Norman, don't disagree to much.

I think Britain missed the boat not joining the EU when it was first set up. 

Can't agree about the Falklands, I was trying to think of any similar situation that the UN had actually sorted out ? or is that just me feeling the UN isn;t up to much.

This thread has the potential for divisions, methinks...  ???

Well said - and it's fully on the Moderation Team's radar.  I know the members will give them an early Christmas present by keeping their posts civil and respectful on a subject which we all agree is highly contentious.

She created such a stir that many people find it impossible to take a balanced view.

She got lots of things wrong (in hindsight), but also lots of things right.

Indisputable fact: she left a greater and more enduring legacy of change than any other 20th century politician except (arguably) Attlee.

She should be remembered for conviction, commitment and steel.

that would just about sum it up.

sadly nick it looks that way... maybe they will have a nice meeting on expenses about it with a good lunch after.

On a completely separate note, loads on Americans have gone into a state of surprise and sadness by misreading the Twitter hashtag of #nowthatchersdead as "now that Cher's dead". :bangshead:  :durr:  I despair of people sometimes, I really do.

When subtitles go wrong - on the BBC News channel a few minutes ago, describing the route her coffin will take through London.  I'm pretty sure they meant "Aldwych" as in Aldwych Road:

thatcher.jpg

When subtitles go wrong - on the BBC News channel a few minutes ago, describing the route her coffin will take through London.  I'm pretty sure they meant "Aldwych" as in Aldwych Road:

thatcher.jpg

That's lightened the mood.  Priceless.   :d

ScreenShot2013-04-08at160141.png

Not the only BBC fail....read closely for a freudian slip

Nick, She could have started assembling the task force at the same time as raising the issue at the UN. 

I agree that the UN has not been the force it was envisaged when formed. However it should have been given the opportunity to sort it out. It almost certainly would have failed as the military junta in Argentina would have ignored any instruction to withdraw. However it would have given the UK world backing and it may have reduced the casualties, on both sides.

David, agree with your assessment. However, "conviction, commitment and steel" do not make everything she did right. 

Scott, they're your country folk.

On a different note I'd like to see Martin Gilbert write the biography. He's 76 so maybe won't want to take it on. 

My views of her politics are for me to know and others to guess at, but I hugely respect that she did what she did with conviction, passion and a belief that it was right for the country.

Norm, I seem to recall that the Community Charge was not a charge per household like the old rates, but a per head charge for all on the electoral roll. I liked the idea but those who didn't were either from large families (in LA housing often, but not exclusively), or for one reason or another not ratepayers previously. I liked (and still like) the idea because rates were, like council tax, nothing to do with people's use of services per person. I also liked the LibDem idea, now abandoned, of local income tax instead of council tax for the same reasons. As for the mining industry, I suspect it was moribund anyway because of north sea gas and oil, and the rise in popularity of central heating. 

As much as many will historically loathe her, I for one, thought she pulled us out of the sh*te we were in and especially with regards to the Falklands, the unions and various other issues. She will be remembered by the red branch for the things she started against them but she did it with complete ruthlessness not a namby pamby way. Would the bankers have got away with what they did in her day, probably not.

Enough, shame the last film I saw about her had her as a broken old woman who had lost her marbles mostly, which when you consider her age and mental tenacity was shamefull. Some things she started I didn't agree with but when you compare her to the follower on PMs she had more b*lls than them all.

Bob :(

Unfortunately i have no respect for any member of government which can cause the working man/woman to struggle! She made the rich richer and the poor poorer!

I remember my parents struggling when she was in power and put my grandfather in an early grave!

Like you have all said its politics and we all have our views! I feel about that halfwit cameron as my parents probably did about her!

Is it me or is there a pattern! oh yes CONSERVATIVES!!!

Apologies if i offended anybody

Norm, I seem to recall that the Community Charge was not a charge per household like the old rates, but a per head charge for all on the electoral roll. I liked the idea but those who didn't were either from large families (in LA housing often, but not exclusively), or for one reason or another not ratepayers previously. I liked (and still like) the idea because rates were, like council tax, nothing to do with people's use of services per person. I also liked the LibDem idea, now abandoned, of local income tax instead of council tax for the same reasons. As for the mining industry, I suspect it was moribund anyway because of north sea gas and oil, and the rise in popularity of central heating. 

Motco, I may have got that upside down. You are probably correct. I seem to remember the phrase A dustman pays the same as a duke". I agree that it makes sense to charge per person but I think the objections to it were partly due to her attitude of telling us what to do as she was always right.

I would suspect that the reason for her downfall was that she wouldn't listen to advice as she knew better.

Another matter was that her policies and attitudes played on "survival of the fittest" which led to the greed society. I believe we're still paying the price for the change in society following this "must have" society.