Heated Gloves

Cleggy the Spyder Man

I have some sealskinz and they are reasonably good, also water an windproof, but my fingers still get cold after a while.

I admit they can get a bit cold sometimes, if ambient air is very cold, but the tips warm up if you put one hand on your leg for 2 mins, then swap... If safe biggest thing is the way they keep you dry, huge difference on a long few days I. The field! I have the socks and hat too. But use them as base layer with woolly stuff on too to keep warm and dry.

I know this may not apply to a Westfield but I remove the pedal cover on mine and get a really blast of hot air coming down onto my feet and legs and coming up to keep my hands warm.

Was out today for a summer blat and to say it was a bit parky was an understatement heater keeps only the left side warm may try the pedal cover bit, cheers Norm. Will keep the other heated gloves and sealskins as an option though.

Bob :)

I know this may not apply to a Westfield but I remove the pedal cover on mine and get a really blast of hot air coming down onto my feet and legs and coming up to keep my hands warm.

On my turbo'd pinto the manifold was drivers side, the turbo got very hot and kept me very warm!

Someone decided to lean on my bonnet, hand directly above the turbo... Taught him not to lean on people's cars!

I have some sealskinz and they are reasonably good, also water an windproof, but my fingers still get cold after a while.

Ditto

My gloves of choice.

Warm Waterproof & not too bulky.

Fingertips only get chilled on a long blat if sub zero.

I have a pair of goat skin gloves made by Stihl that i bought in Bavaria in 1996. Hands always warm but look like an axe murderer when I wear them.  :)

Have yet to try synthetic gloves as goat leather does the trick. 

thanks for the info guys - as I sell gloves for a living I have tried most normal waterproof type gloves (although I have not tried the SS ones you guys mention)

I have seen some rechargeable battery powered gloves that I like the look of - the downside is they are 60 squid

iv got the maplin ones and theyr pretty good. Round a fiver... Bargain alert!!!

Got to be worth a try. I also bought some high power AAA's rechargables.. As long you charge em up they last an hour or so...

I'm going to remove the too cover for the pedals and see what happens... As Norman's suggestion. If it works I'll remove the heater!

I'd better warn you that you should only remove the pedal cover if you have no roof on.

One note of caution with Westfields; the header tank (unlike on Caterhams) is normally mounted right above the cover...

At least one owner has received extremely bad scalds to his feet after boiling over, requiring hospital treatment. (Ironic, as Scott too was a nurse). His cover was in place IIRC, but not properly sealed.

I've done the cover off bit myself, back when I had the header tank in the cars nose. It does get lots of lovely warm air in, but I also found my feet/bottom of my trousers would tend to get filthy from road muck blown through.

My Westfield heater v2 is much more effective than running without the cover was - as I tested yesterday in the open car for the first time. (Already know its like a furnace when the hoods up  :yes: )

Good point Dave.

Mines by the side, but I'd probably get scalded if it split or a hose came off.

accident181.jpg

The pedal cover trick on mine inflates my trouser legs brilliantly keeping them warm all the way round.  (Have no header tank).

Rory's Dad

I have wind deflectors on my pillars and I think it helps to keep my hands nice and warm.  I've had a number of pairs of gloves - some m/bike ones for the depth of winter and some suede cycling gloves cut-price from Halfords.  They were the best I've had.  I left them on my boot cover at Cadwell last year.  The first fell off at the gooseneck - the second at the same spot on the next lap.  Was pleased to get them back. 

Rory's Dad

How about a DC/DC converter down to 9V and plug your heated gloves, insoles etc into the car?