PC or Mac ?

Marto303

NOT TRUE apple macs can catch viruses, so can Iphones, please get some anti-virus

Paul

Must be the dodgy sites that you look at then! Yes I know they can, but compared to a pc, it is quite rare.

there's a chap over here who's daughter is an apple fan. He spends all evening reading the news on his mac then repeats it all the following day.

His daughter had this saying, something like "why build a machine that's like a colander". He rattled on and on (bit like someone goes on about crashes).

I couldn't help laugh my head off when his mac got a virus and almost ate itself.

Must be the dodgy sites that you look at then! Yes I know they can, but compared to a pc, it is quite rare.

what the app store? (several apps have been removed due to "breaches in contract"). There is no doubt that macs are less likely to catch viruses and malware,  but that's due to the closed nature of the OS and hardware, not the fact its a mac (look at the xbox 360 and PS3 for example). However there is a BIG difference between "rare" and "never". I have met several people that are convinced that their super dooper mac cannot possibly catch a virus and are surprised when they stop working.

Paul

what the app store? (several apps have been removed due to "breaches in contract"). There is no doubt that macs are less likely to catch viruses and malware,  but that's due to the closed nature of the OS and hardware, not the fact its a mac (look at the xbox 360 and PS3 for example). However there is a BIG difference between "rare" and "never". I have met several people that are convinced that their super dooper mac cannot possibly catch a virus and are surprised when they stop working.

Paul

As I said I know you can get them, but have used one every day for the last eight years and never had a problem.

I have had a Mackbook Pro for about a year now and just can't come to terms with it. I occasionaly start it up and try to get my head around it, but get frustrated.

I still tend to use my Dell laptop and desktops for normal work based applications

Never seem to have the time to really learn how to use the Mac :( However my lad whom I gave a Mac to at the same time, won't use anything else, and has even spent the 30 quid of his hard earned  "He works for me"  to upgrade his to 8 gig

Possitive side, it cost me nothing as my business is recyling and data erasure of IT equipment, not that we get many Macs in  :)

For those that are into Macs, I am in negotiation at the mo on 83 x 2009/2010  27" iMacs due in July

Please form an orderly queue   :d :d :d :d

• Like 1

Ooh!

As I said I know you can get them, but have used one every day for the last eight years and never had a problem.

I think it depends on where you use them, to be honest. Home use, rare use of internet, low email use etc. all are factors. The problem I have with "apple the company" is their almost complacent attitude and near denial that the problems exist whilst behind the scenes they are providing "upgrades" and apps disappearing off the store. Certainly the people I have met that have had mac viruses have not been happy with the "support" they got. (ie none). I'd much rather a company say "hey our standards are open therefore there can be risks, so protect yourself". rather than "hmm they exist but they are that rare, don't bother"

I'm glad you've had no trouble but I would still recommend installing an anti-virus and ensure you have backups as you never know.

Thanks chaps

I guess that's the kind of split of opinions I expected, l'll go and have a play and of course let you know the out come. Martin

I would lend you my MacAir, I know in a week you'd be hooked! But you're a bit far away. I don't have fancy covers, just a padded envelope I had a friend post me from Oz, another my mum posted from Newquay, a blank brown one which I screwed up, rested tea cups on to get marks on it and it just has "Stephen guest - old research" on the front of it. I also have a a4 plastic sleeve designed for it when I take a A4 ring binder. This was before I found out Steve Jobs used an A4 envelope in his launch! Use A5 padded envelopes for the iPad mini. Wy have "Apple Case, I'm expensive, STEAL me!" When a padded envelope actually works better.

On here I see PC issues, PC problems and threads like that. Never have I seen mac issues.

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/100544-computer-help-required/

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/100535-windows-8/

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/100501-pc-problems/

However most of the above are one person's problems... That really is someone that should swap to mac!

January I bought a Dell XPS with Windows 8 from Dell's Outlet Shop, 

amazing laptop, excellent performance, superb Dell support, fantastic price (saved circa £500).

Loading software has been a doddle. 

It's a classy piece of kit, and it takes a lot to impress me enough to post recommendations!

I looked at Macs but so so so expensive. This XPS appears as good but at a fraction of the outlay. 

It has a standard hard drive with attached Solid State Drive - boots up from fully closed in roughly 8-10 seconds.

Recommend having a looksee....

LinkyDellOutlet

You cannot compare Laptops costing a few hundred pounds with those costing over £1000.

You cannot tar all PCs / Laptops with one brush.

Some are 'issue' filled, but most are not and many are in the same league as Apple (even if they might not quite win the championship).

Apples are on average more reliable, but you pay for it.

An employee of Apple told me that their hardware and software cost a fraction of the cost of other brands to manufacture.

So why do they charge so much?

A- Marketing and Image.

If I earned a fortune, I probably would purchase a Mac.

Edited by OnliestSmeg

well said smeg, The arguments of pc's and macs will go on forever whilst the companies exist. I'm a pc man 'cos I like to be in control and know what I'm doing. Macs do offer the "least resistance route" but are very expensive for what they are. (Ipads esp. - how much? I could buy a real computer for that :d )

Interesting discussion though.

well said smeg, The arguments of pc's and macs will go on forever whilst the companies exist. I'm a pc man 'cos I like to be in control and know what I'm doing. Macs do offer the "least resistance route" but are very expensive for what they are. (Ipads esp. - how much? I could buy a real computer for that :d )

Exactly what I said until I joined the masses and got an iPhone 3GS... Then the 4 (wife had 3GS), MacAir, wife got iPad, we got apple TV, I got 4S (wife got 4), wife got MacBook Pro, I got iPhone 5 (yes she got 4S) I got iPad mini...

Moral of the story is, go on... Put your hand in your pocket, spend the extra money and get something that does exactly what it says on the tin and will not need upgrading.

I got upgradeitis with phones, pay cash and get pre-ordered. But the 3GS that my nephew now has is still a great phone, even by today's standards.

Apple products are so well made and my 3yr old MacAir still looks new. It's mm's thin yet no flex at all and can be picked up by one corner.

well said smeg, The arguments of pc's and macs will go on forever whilst the companies exist. I'm a pc man 'cos I like to be in control and know what I'm doing. Macs do offer the "least resistance route" but are very expensive for what they are. (Ipads esp. - how much? I could buy a real computer for that :d )

Indeed it is.

Unfortunately very few people compare like for like!

Especially with the hardware installed in a laptop/mac.

Also unfortunately you see very few of the higher end models from the likes of Samsung Lenovo Dell Sony Toshiba in the 'high street' alongside the macs to compare, so it is easy to mistakenly assume that macs are always the best!

I've swapped from high end Vaio to Vaio, (quality took a nose dive with second Vaio) to Dell, quality slightly better with the Dell, but still wore it out in just over two years. The Mac Book Pro still widdles on them, that I'm using at the moment.

Though I swear I may be up on a murder charge if I ever have to spend more than a millisecond in the loathsome Apple Stores or listen to/read any official press release. 

I confess to loathing the company, or at least much of its attitude and ethos. Strip that way though and consider the product separately and there's some genuinely decent kit that they make. But they certainly know how to charge! 

Yes Apple's expensive, but they are quality products.

When I got my MacAir mrs got a laptop, can't remember which one, but her over controlling dad said "apple's a waste of money, buy this... And it had close to double the RAM, processor was much faster and hard drives similar size. Ok hers had a built in cd drive and twice as many USB ports. From day one the MacAir was a smoother and faster machine. Less "pop ups" and stuff that winds people up. I know all about msconfig and changing settings in there and know additional software to help with defrag's and stuff... So did it all and kept on top of her windows things. With in a month she wanted my MacAir and after six months she got herself a MacBook Pro. She's had it over 2 years and never has she had a laptop/PC that long.

Only time she uses the laptop is when we go to her parents... She's 32 and treated like a 12 yr old. "You're going where? When will you be back? Why? And you're not wearing that!"

Your right re Sony, I felt they weren't as good as they were when I was looking at replacements.

My machines have all 'widdled' on previous ones

And most have cost less than the prevous one.

Technology moves on soooooo quickly.

It's not just Apple that have loathsome traits!

But that would take us off at a tangent!