PC or Mac ?

Marto303

Sorry, my post is random... No sleep since Friday!

Basically I was a tech and anti apple without trying it, tried it and now hooked. I find them far better in every way. Cost twice as much, last three times as long... And still amazes me all the time.

Had an entry level mac for about 3 years now and I love it for all the reasons already described.  I think Dodgey sums it up pretty well.. If you're not a techie a mac is great.  My mum even learnt to surf the net on it.. Sorry 'the dotcom' as she puts it.

I haven't had the need to troubleshoot anything in the time i've owned it.

And imovie is just brilliant.

Just to add to the argument (popcorn ready)

I've had HP touchsmart tx2 PC laptop and it kicks apple macs IMHO. Cost less, full office, full photoshop, full coreldraw, camtasia studio, whole bunch of programming software,  has been running everyday for work and evening for 6 years, never a problem. Windows 8 on it is fantastic, full 4 point touch and handwriting recognition with a stylus that looks like a pen and a nib the same size as one. (something Apple are still nowhere near on). My laptop folds into a tablet and then gives a full keyboard if you need it.

All these arguments about how long windows takes to boot up I've never understood. The only time I turn my computer actually on is first thing in the morning and I go and get a cup of coffee, the rest of the day I shut the laptop it goes into standby and open the laptop and it wakes up with the documents all loaded, so wheres the comparison? I write notes in meetings on it, use it for presentations (it even comes with a mini remote control), work with it and it has been brilliant. A colleague has recently got the equivalent Dell and its equally impressive. 

All I'm saying is don't write off PCs just yet the new tablet style with windows 7/8 are good. The biggest advantage of pc laptops is the fact that if something doesn't work you can go on the forums and someone will tell you how to fix it. There is no "oh only Apple can fix that" comments.

I am techy but I've found other people with ipads and apple laptops often get problems and they cannot fix them because the OS wont let them. I have also found ipad esp. annoying as they seem little more than expensive diaries. The worst I've seen is the quote "oh apple macs don't get viruses!.... oh why's my mac not working properly"

In general as has been said - its horses for courses - but I have seen several people claim their apple mac is "the best thing" then ask me "how do I do this..." and the answer is "It can't.... if you'd bought a pc then..."

Just my 2p worth. 

Paul

If it wasn't for the cost I'd go for a Mac every time. For me I just want stuff to work without having to learn to be a techie. Sadly I had to buy a PC, but I do 99% of my Internet browsing on my iPhone 4S.

If you want trouble free operating systems with no virus problems and just generally brilliant kit, go for the MAC. 

And goodness me put Anti virus software on it, don't just rely on the rosy glow of the Apple logo to protect you...

If you want trouble free operating systems with no virus problems and just generally brilliant kit, go for the MAC. 

NOT TRUE apple macs can catch viruses, so can Iphones, please get some anti-virus

Paul

• Like 1

If it wasn't for the cost I'd go for a Mac every time. For me I just want stuff to work without having to learn to be a techie. Sadly I had to buy a PC, but I do 99% of my Internet browsing on my iPhone 4S.

Mines done on iPhone 5 or iPad mini. Not often I use MacAir.

I like my computers to just work and it gives me time to fiddle with the car!

Another vote for mac that just works all the time and does everything I need but I am not sure that I can justify the expense!

Have not tried latest high spec laptops or windows 8 but I am sure they are good.

I'm a Mac convert since 5 years ago.

Advantages- Quick to start up, good connectivity,no constant restarts, no silly "are you sure" pop ups, no "register this and that" software, useable iPhoto & iMovie, periferals that I use need no extra software or drivers, Operating system not outdated every year or so, remember the horrid Millenium and Vista

Disadvatages- No techie trickware, no MS Word/Powerpoint/Office, but can be added, no Diy upgrades, significantly more expensive.

In reality a desktop is is not needed these days, laptops seem to cover everything just as well with wireless connectivity.

Go to PC World and have a go on both :yes:

I actually quite like Windows 8 :oops: 

I have to admit, my Mac Book Pro has actually seen off the desktop, it's the first time since I was nineteen I've not had some kind of desktop machine. Felt odd at first.

the more you delve with the Macs the more the nitty gritty stuff is there if you ever need it, though sometimes it involves a bit more command line operation than later versions of Windows.

Thanks chaps

I guess that's the kind of split of opinions I expected, l'll go and have a play and of course let you know the out come. Martin

Mac all the way for the last 6 months... dpesnt help my typing though as the keyborard is too small for my hands