Car security ?

SlowPoke

Right, so now we argue against ear plugs too? I drive the Westfield with earphones on + music/satnav instructions, there's little difference in terms of blocked out sound to wearing my helmet + ear plugs. The earphones don't go as loud as many a car stereo does either.

Its a question of degree, plus common sense. (Something sometimes lacking, I must admit!)

i use them in the westy too. but they are not noise cancelling ones just a decent set that fit in the ear. i found that they just take the edge off the noise from the exhaust and make the whole thing more enjoyable. never had a problem with hearing other traffic etc. but i think im more observant in this car anyway.

i recon i would hear more in the westy with headphones than my boss does in his jag with the radio on.

i never got on with earplugs in the westy although i did used to have a really good set for shooting that alowed me to hear comands from the range officer with clarity but stopped the crack of the rifle.

Precisely my point Dom! :yes::d

(I do understand the point Scott was getting at, but numpties will always find a way to be numpties. It's not the hardware that's at fault, it's the squishy-ware using it)

Never had earphones in the 7. One of the things I enjoy when driving the 7 is the noise.

can I take this opportunity to say that I fail to see the enjoyment of driving a 7 wearing a helmet. I've done it once when coming down the M6 in heavy rain. I took it off halfway down as I preferred to get wet.

I've had my aero for about 10 years now and have never had a problem. I have a pair of Birdz goggles with my prescription glasses on underneath. I may look a bit stupid but who cares, not me. I've done Sheffield to Le Mans several times after aero fitted, drove from Sheffield to here (600 miles) and been back to Dover 5 times for MOTs. Always great fun.

Only problem is that you have to talk loudly as I can't hear very well these days.  :)

I understand what you're saying as well Dave.  The problem is that if one gets into a spot of bother and the local constabulary attend to discover one was listening to music through an iPod while driving or riding, it's unlikely they're going to take the time to measure one's IQ and there's no test for common sense, so they may not agree with one's viewpoint that it was safe.  All I'm saying is that they frequently have to deal with people who have an IQ that can be outscored with one dart, so the law has to cover all ranges equally, from genius to Dubya - so just be aware and be extra vigilant.

can I take this opportunity to say that I fail to see the enjoyment of driving a 7 wearing a helmet. I've done it once when coming down the M6 in heavy rain. I took it off halfway down as I preferred to get wet.

I've had my aero for about 10 years now...

Well, that explains quite a few posts I've read over the years.  :laugh:  :p  ;)

Not sure what to say.

So I'll say nothing.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

So anyway..... Norman this keyless ignition, is it a fob proximity device? If so, any links to such a kit and ideas on cost/ ease of fitting?

See Gallery John & Dave for keyless ignition pic of savage buttons on dash. I rewired ignition through start button and immobiliser fob type (see http://www.falcon-security.com/ you can get off eBay or amazon search predator 1) also added one of their alarms with proximity sensor, it gives a warning beep if you get within a couple foot of car and siren goes of if you get closer. Took about 4 - 5 hours to fit it all.  

Thanks John, very interesting.

Would there be an issue running something like this with an Odyssey battery? I use an extreme racing 25. Want sure if the device load would cause a problem?

I would imagine as you've not got much reserve in one of those batteries to cover the parasitic loss from the two security devices for any great length of time, you'll need to keep the car on a conditioner at home. To be fair though, unless you use the car a lot, or have a huge regular battery, you probably are anyway.

No heavy immobilisers on my car.

I have a simple on/off switch with an aircraft cover over it and a big red starter button. I also have a battery isolater switch on the right hand side of the dash which is anti-theft device.

I was thinking about adding exactly the same with the starter button and aircraft cover switch. I was going to keep the key though by way of security. Is there a problem with insurance if you have no physical security to stop a would be thief/joyrider getting in and flicking a couple of switches to start it up?

I have certainly been asked the question when getting quotes, but as I still have the normal key start/steering lock, I don't know the answer!

I think maybe that's the way to go then, keep the key/steering lock for security and add the button for fun :)

If they asked they probably wouldn't be pleased.

I did have an ignition switch in the panel under the dash, but I think I removed it. Can't remember but I don't use it. I do have a switch on the fuel pump under the dash. If I was worried I would turn it off when parking in town. But I never do. I lock the Audi when parking in Nantes or Angers but most of the time don't if parking in Pouance. 

In The UK I would be locking everything in sight. We often go to bed with the front door unlocked,

We've been here 7 and a quarter years and I've heard of two crimes. One I'm a bit doubtful about but the other was a team of gypsies who kept the lady in the bar/shop busy whilst two kids nipped in the back and stole some of her jewellery. The Gendarme said it was pointless trying to find them they will have moved on and doing the same somewhere else.