Car security ?

SlowPoke

no problemo...i'll even take you out for a slap up lunch....hahaha

As stated in a thread, people that don't see the near misses and bits of car clearly can't be looking... Which is why there's so many!

Hahaha

I've started using headphones and ignoring side streets and scenery. Seeing less and less stuff.

I've started using headphones...

Besides being illegal and very risky, I can see a new title in your future - "the late" Crashioli

I have wireless noise cancelling bad boys that would blow off in the Westfield! But I now wear them when walking about and I know nothin!

I'm not too sure over laws of using headphones, loads of people here drive with white ones in, holding their phone in one hand, steering wheel in the other and driving! I used in ear headphones a lot while driving long distance. In fact... 3 times Westfield been in the factory being rebuilt, not once did I have ears in. Then rear ended in Robin Hood, again no ears in. That's it! I need ears in and music to block everyone out and just drive.

Oh Mighty Crash God - change the record!

Please stop going on about your many crashes. We've all heard the stories many times over by now.

:-)

Besides being illegal and very risky, I can see a new title in your future - "the late" Crashioli

its not ilegal its just advised not to in the highway code (section 148). it all revolves around if the drivers ability to control the vehicle was thought to be impared by the use of them. Its a similar argument to changing a CD/smoking or any other activity in a car that distracts the driver.

most likely if you were in an accident and the cuase was determined to be due to the distraction you would be prosecuted for dangerous driving.

lets face it handsfree kits for phones are not illegal and are basically a headphone in somecases.

One earpiece (hands free kit) is absolutely fine - two earpieces, effectively letting music block out all external noise, including car horns and emergency vehicle sirens, is a different thing entirely.  As you say, it's a prosecution waiting to happen, which is what I was driving at - driving without due care and attention if you were nicked for a traffic offence; dangerous driving if you had an accident.

Scott - sound advice but I gave up with all phone devices in cars ages ago, as I really don't think the car is the place to be making or receiving phone calls. If I hear the phone ring, I let it go to voicemail then check for messages next time I stop.

As for how distracting they can be...

I was once on my bike in a queue with very slow moving traffic. I passed a driver in a convertible. Headphones on, texting on a smartphone with both hands, referring to an open A4 file on the passenger seat while keeping her knees jammed under the wheel to keep the car straight. I was very tempted to reach in, take the keys out of the ignition and drop them down the nearest drain.

Right, so now we argue against ear plugs too? I drive the Westfield with earphones on + music/satnav instructions, there's little difference in terms of blocked out sound to wearing my helmet + ear plugs. The earphones don't go as loud as many a car stereo does either.

Its a question of degree, plus common sense. (Something sometimes lacking, I must admit!)

As for how distracting they can be...

I was once on my bike in a queue with very slow moving traffic. I passed a driver in a convertible. Headphones on, texting on a smartphone with both hands, referring to an open A4 file on the passenger seat while keeping her knees jammed under the wheel to keep the car straight. I was very tempted to reach in, take the keys out of the ignition and drop them down the nearest drain.

Not seen someone as multi talented as that yet!

When I'm driving phone's alway been on silent and in a glove box. Checked when reached destination. When driving with headphones in, only just covers volume of exhaust. I still hear exhaust over music at 4,000 RPM. However there was a stint ten years ago of guys in Dorset being pulled over for loud music in their cars. Not me, never been into loud music.

Right, so now we argue against ear plugs too? I drive the Westfield with earphones on + music/satnav instructions, there's little difference in terms of blocked out sound to wearing my helmet + ear plugs. The earphones don't go as loud as many a car stereo does either.

Its a question of degree, plus common sense. (Something sometimes lacking, I must admit!)

Exact same as me when I have music on, there for sat nav instructions as my sat nav is iPhone app and in my pocket while driving.

Yep, Tom Tom on headphones is a superb safety tool when blatting. Good directions and notice of up coming turns etc, audiable speed limit reminders/camera reminders and most of all, no need to faff around trying to use written route notes/maps. Lets you keep your eyes and concentration on the road, car and other road users.

I have to say, in a long run, for instance back from Stoneleigh, when there's no longer the convoy and you're on your own coming back up the motorway, or you're doing the long boring bits to get at a good blatting road, I actually find some background music on the headphones improves my concentration on the road; it helps to stop that thoughts drifting effect you can get on the long monotonous bits after the first few hours.

Oh Mighty Crash God - change the record!

Please stop going on about your many crashes. We've all heard the stories many times over by now.

:-)

I don't see a crash story in this thread. I admit it did evolve from security to headphone laws. I've noticed less incidents since shutting world out while walking about.

Please stop being Victor Meldrew! Hahahahaha

This post is light hearted and typed with a cheeky smile.

This post is light hearted and typed with a cheeky smile.

That must hurt the lips - those keyboards are pretty unforgiving  :d

Crashioli, there's at lest two of your threads that talk of crashes and your opinion of why you see so many.

As Brian says, we've all got the picture, people in Birmingham don't take care and crash into each other. But, maybe, only when you're looking.

:)  ;)  :laugh:  :d