Car security ?

SlowPoke

Hi all,

Just wondering whats the best deterent to stop some goofing thief nicking or vandalising a Westy parked on the road/car park..(daytime).

My mate said, '...A Westy commands so much respect, no one will want to do that....'

Personally i dont believe him. I was wondering if fitting a perimeter alarm, similar to those on bikes be worthwhile?

Cheers.

Pete

I've had my Caterham for over 20 years with no security whatsoever. It's been left in the road and in car parks many times and has never suffered damage.

As for getting stolen I'm not too concerned as with a competition clutch they probably couldn't drive it anyway.  :)

It's got keyless ignition as well.

Cheapest and best deterrents are a quick release steering boss so you can walk away with your steering wheel, and a FIA battery isolator switch.  Hard to drive away a car you can't start or steer.  A small hidden toggle switch that cuts off power to the fuel pump is good as well.  Never (touch wood) had any problems with the car being vandalised.

• Like 1

Scott's suggestions would be my first line of attack. As a second line, a good quality well fitting car cover seems to act as a cloak of darkness, making the car less visible to casual vandals.

And welcome to the club!

Brian

You have to make a distinction between casual "inappropriate touching" :oops::o:d and actual proper thievery. Sadly, Westfield's do get nicked occasionally, normally by someone out to nick your Westfield IYSWIM, they might not know quite what it is, but they'll have a good idea they can flog the bits etc. That side of things is a whole long thread in it's own right. And ultimately, if they really want it, they'll get it.

On the other hand, "inappropriate touching", you know, the sort of thing where you come back to find someone sat in the car making brumming noises, or kids climbing all over it etc. Up to and including the sort of knob that decides he fancies doing a few donuts in it, or having a quick spin round the block can be put off with a few simple mods.

Do not underestimate the power of the tonneau cover, (on an aeroscreened car or even on a windscreened car if the roof is down). As Brian says, it acts as a magical cloak of darkness, though perhaps it says a lot about the British, but that simple piece of vinyl, fixed on with poppers and zipped up down the middle seems to put almost all interlopers off. I've yet to ever see a stranger open a tonneau on someone's car!

Add to that, just in case anyone does chance their arm, a removable steering wheel, and to a lesser extent, an FIA cut out key, (though TBH, they're so cheaply available, I wouldn't bother fitting one just for security purposes).

I then add a stout motorcycle chain and lock, particularly if I'm away from the car for any length of time; looped through a rear wheel, then the RAC roll bar, stops someone just easing the handbrake off and rolling the car off. I'll also thread it through the steering wheel - which is in the boot box, if carrying the wheel is impractical.

(And lastly there's one or two other little security measures I take, but that's not for an open forum!)

• Like 1

if I bring mine to work I always pull the car cover over it even if its a sunny day.

I always use the tonneau cover if leaving it and I have a gear lever/handbrake lock so that it's in first with the handbrake full on.  Nothing will stop the professional thief - all you can do is buy some time - but it might stop the opportunist thief.  Fingers crossed.

fitted a perimeter alarm from falcon peace of mind mainly from school kids when left in supermarket car park.

I'm in middle of Birmingham and yet to find any real issues. Several people at work have had cars stolen or been car jacked at a junction. Westfield's been "respected" to date. However bit by bit, first was a cover (walker st clair £50ish) then I fitted an immobiliser (not going into details) easy fit though, not long after I fitted a quick release boss and new steering wheel and latest was full tonneau. Fitted to inside cab, so roof/doors can still be used. I've felt safest with tonneau, out of sight, out if mind. Leave passenger side sealed, hood up and massive storage space to stash things.

But if someone want's your car... Not matter what you have, even if you're sat in it! But I'm under impression most cars are stolen to order and already have end location waiting. Most westfield's are known by locals and could be spotted by cops a mile off also, common car thief would floor it... Hmm... I doubt they'd get too far alive.

I had a Robin Hood before, twice I found kids inside as if a park toy, hitting horn and flicking switches. Parent's were there and got very aggressive towards me for shouting at their child, one of which had to be lifted in/out. The father was chest poking and going mad at me! Not for long...

I'm with the above and echo what Scot says, FIA power switch, steering lock on and steering wheel off. Stuff like seatbelt shoulder pads etc could be removed and the belt upper sections I have split pinned in place so don't just unclip anymore. I also don't generally leave my car anywhere, my mate had a bunch of kids clambering all over his when he went to pay for petrol once, parents said nowt - to**ers.

Bob :d

I'm in middle of Birmingham and yet to find any real issues. Several people at work have had cars stolen or been car jacked at a junction. Westfield's been "respected" to date. However bit by bit, first was a cover (walker st clair £50ish) then I fitted an immobiliser (not going into details) easy fit though, not long after I fitted a quick release boss and new steering wheel and latest was full tonneau. Fitted to inside cab, so roof/doors can still be used. I've felt safest with tonneau, out of sight, out if mind. Leave passenger side sealed, hood up and massive storage space to stash things.

But if someone want's your car... Not matter what you have, even if you're sat in it! But I'm under impression most cars are stolen to order and already have end location waiting. Most westfield's are known by locals and could be spotted by cops a mile off also, common car thief would floor it... Hmm... I doubt they'd get too far alive.

I had a Robin Hood before, twice I found kids inside as if a park toy, hitting horn and flicking switches. Parent's were there and got very aggressive towards me for shouting at their child, one of which had to be lifted in/out. The father was chest poking and going mad at me! Not for long.

Hi Crashioli,

I've seen your Westy chariot many a times in Brum (when i was working there), it was one of the reasons which has re-ignited my desire to buy one......small world.

:d . Everytime i see your motor, i think to myself, 'that guy must be nuts bringing that Westy into Brum.....'

I'll be looking around for a a quick release boss and new steering wheel, any recommendations ?

Cheers

QRS...

Many many many posts here. I've helped two people here get steering wheel, boss and QRS for about £100

dcacc7d1bd17d0392a0f1ed0425e8306_zps6d96

Like that!

Obviously QRS comes in silver, black, blue or red and is about £30. Boss is dependant on your column but £30-£40. Then wheel is your choice, mine was £35.

• Like 1

:d . Everytime i see your motor, i think to myself, 'that guy must be nuts bringing that Westy into Brum.....'

Support me with the RTC's, near misses and bits if broken car around here?

Haha

• Like 1

Support me with the RTC's, near misses and bits if broken car around here?

Haha

no problemo...i'll even take you out for a slap up lunch....hahaha

no problemo...i'll even take you out for a smash up lunch....hahaha

Fixed that for you...