• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gee_fin

• Nick M

• Blatman

• Clarkey

to all involved in the non too light hearted banter re the speed series.... lighten up will ya!!. if people want to throw money at it then good luck to 'em... if they've got it why not.. you can't take it with you. As many have said it's not always the big money guys that win...I've seen tom green, derek hodder etc. trying to get it on in the rain!!

If you wanna race, go do it, if you don't then don't.

my point is ... don't moan about the "big money people". they aint professionals, they're just like you...just havin' fun.

After all; if your not tryin' why bother?

Just thought i'd make a point.... still thinking about entering myself?? NOW THAT'S SCARY!!

Scott, Guy, don't get your knickers in a twist.  Nobody said it was easy to drive a 250HP car and nobody said that people only win because they have the most money.

What started this all was just my observation that it is strange that a 'roadgoing' vehicle has done no road miles in 2 years.  No offence was intended.

Ian

Some interesting points guys.I think that trailering the car to a Speed Series (SS) event makes sense.The point been that "they say you would take unpresidented risks" if yr car is trailered.This is not  likely, it isn't wheel 2 wheel racing and no body who's spent money on a car weather its a small or galactic budget wants to put himself & his car off into the barriers and trash it. Moreover, a few weeks in ICU doesn't appeal 2 anyone.

(Altho' they're a few :arse:'s out there that would take the risks & do it, hay this is real life. Most poeple wouldn't risk their pride and joy).

Plus I wouldn't really fancy driving my Westy upto Jockland for an event  even tho' I've plenty of lard on my A***. I'm sure my butt would feel like a shirt lifters bot after a A*** slapping convension.....Now I say keep the trailers!!

Big money investment to win dosen't always work. As our leader pointed out in an earlier posting, over the last few years the SS winners have been novices and alays the 'fear factor' of "I need big wedge 2 win".

The SS is a good idea for all owners/novices  such as myself it will help toget the "knowledge" of how to drive yr car quickly and safely. Believe me its better to learn in the SS or on a track day than finding you've over cooked on the road!!. I spent a good few years with my Manta 400 competing in the BTRDA championship doing that great motorsport tradition... tree dodgin'. believe me I thought I could just jump into the "Buzz Waggon" and treat it like the Manta. WRONG!! I've had a couple of close scraps plus my underpant budget was bigger than the one for the Westfield!

If there R owners out there who want/thinking of competing and R a bit scaried of taking the leap or may be embarrassed about their lack of driving skills. Don't, its you, yr car and the tarmac. You will not be racing with other cars on track,just post a good time and if don't so what, enjoy it.

Go a head try it. Their a friendly bunch as long as you don't beat them. They're very aproachable for technical info or just driving techneques.

The best time to approach them is when they are battered in the beer tent the night before.You'll hear great stories of how they won the world championship bla bla bal!!

So enjoy, do your best and compete, anything could happen next year!

Regards Buzz : :cool:

Good debate....

I just thought I would explain why a c******m owner wants to enter the WSCC Speed Series.  Simply because of people like gee_fin, Blatman, etc, who make it fun and competitive without any ego or snobbery.  Although I'll expect lots of p*** taking when I lose, I'll intend to give plenty back if I do OK.....

I won't win anything, I'm not taking part to do that.  I've only ever driven the car on list 1b tyres, so no doubt I'll be scared by the move to list 1a.   I'm just glad that you lot welcome cars by other manufacturers.  Why can't other clubs be so enlightened?

It's great to see some friendly rivalry and banter - The WSCC Speed Series has always been open to other makes of car, all that is asked is that you are a WSCC member and again there are members with all makes. Over the years there's been the following cars - Dutton, Cyclone, Ginetta, Ultima Spyder "doing battle".

+ we've always had drivers with varying experience from complete novice through to the seasoned veterans (sorry Tom) and guys who regularly compete in Sprint Leaders, British Hillclimb Championship, Westfield BARC Championship, JCC, 750MC and Endurance GT racing to name but a few, all of whom have commented on the spirit and friendliness of the WSCC Series.

Remember though - in other championships you are often up against many other makes - with the 100 entrants in 2001 - the WSCC Series was a true specific comparison of all marques of Westfield and a class win was a superb result.

If anyone else has 250+ BHP and are wary of how that much can be put through List 1A tyres - Then go modified and use slicks. I'm sure Steve, Derek, Neil, Ian and Tom would welcome the added competition.

And in reply Guy - yes the club would like to feature and promote anything that our members get up to in the various championships, but we can only print articles that are sent in for publication in the mag - if no-one writes and submits an article then nothing appears unfortunately - as volunteers the editorial team aren't able to be everywhere. So please keep us informed of your future motorsport triumphs and good luck with your next venture.

With any luck I'll be pushing around 240bhp through list 1A's next year :0  I'll still be a midfielder though....no talent see...

It'll be a laugh to be up against Clarkey in his SL(R?) next year too.....even better if Blatgirl can put up a better time. That'll give me an' GeeFin loads of scope............. :D

Yep, SLR.  New wheels should turn up next week so I can get some practise on list 1a (going to give Falken ZE502s a go for a bit).  I'll only have 190bhp, so I'll have a good excuse up my sleeve in case Blatgirl humiliates me.......in fact, I'll have less horsepower than loads of you, so I've got plenty of excuses......as well as being a complete (ish) novice, a bit lardy, etc, etc, etc...no doubt more will follow next year.

Of course, an SLR is commendably light, so it is fast (I have seen them in the 12s at Santa Pod) and they should corner and stop well.  Finally, they are a c******m, which is superior to a Westfield according to the people on Blatchat, so I think you will give everybody a good whipping  :D

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Clarkey just seconding our leaders comments, it will be great to see you @ the speed series in yr hairdressers car :p sorry c******m. It will be my 1st year in the speed series too.

There a good bunch of guys with lots of enthusiasam and banter, and definately no snobbery. This was one of the reasons I went with a Westfield. Looked @ other makes particulay the Cobra replicas, I went to a couple of local events and it was snobbery personified ( bunch of w----rs)

The Westfield possy are a pretty open minded bunch and ready to offer advice,help and abuse, and in the unlikely event of catchin' any of them sober will even offer you a bit to eat.

If you do hear any b***h derogatory remarks F--k' em their not worth a turd we don't want ******s like that in the club.

So come along, enjoy. I just hope you've got thick skin 'cause you'll get some stick, but it will all be done in bad taste sorry good taste!!!.

look forward 2 seeing you next year

Regards Buzz :cool:

Clarkey

If you haven't bought the Falkens yet, then don't. They are too hard, even for my heavier (than yours) Westfield. I presume you are wanting 205/60's for the rear, which means Bridgestones are out, but I have a theory...... Once the list is out next year, mail me (GeeFins got my direct mail address) and I'll give you a tip. You'll owe me though.........  :xmas:

Re: Driving the car to the sprint.

As Guy says, I think it would cut the entries in half. It's a nice thought but ultimately pointless and un-policeable. If I had a trailer I'd use it to get to the vast majority of events. When driving the Westfield there it may be nice to arrive with warm transmission fluid and being used to the car but it would be nicer to arrive being warm yourself and not aching or deaf from a three hour journey in a shoebox.

The Speed Series regs seem about right, why mess with a winning formula? The cars that have won have been well setup, well kitted-out and very well driven. All we need now is to be allowed more entries! Hopefully soon we can justify hosting more of our own sprints so that the sheer popularity of the series won't be it's limiting factor.

Graeme.

• 6 years later...