DO NOT TRAVEL WITH BA

Terry Everall

What's my take? Well to start with I wouldn't have waited 10 mins for the AA! Had the same thing on a BX deisel years ago. Found some suitable string on the side of the M1 and routed it thro' the slightly open driver's window! Worked a treat until frostbite took over so extended it to o/s/r pax window for 12yr old son to control..... (he got the frostbite).

So far as flying BA is involved I think it depends which crew/groundstaff you get on the day which is really down to leadership. As soon as the brakes go on at the arrival gate the flight crew have done their bit so even if the flight itself was faultless the groundstaff are responsible for further delays/lack of communication (which was the real gripe of this thread). I flew for bmi (BMA) for 40 yrs and in the 70's BA (the enemy!) handled us at LHR. One day with all pax on board, strapped in & ready to go I was frustrated to see the baggage was STILL being loaded (Viscount) so ran down to see what was wrong: baggage truck 30' from front hold, line of 6 loaders (another 2 in the hold), each bag passed from one to the next SLOWLY!! I grabbed 2 cases from the truck and ran to the hold yelling 'Come on lads, please - we're ready to push back!' Forgot they weren't Midland staff: everything ground to a halt. 'Who the f%%k does he think he is?' etc etc. I slunk back to the flightdeck and waited another 35mins for the last 12 bags to be loaded. We changed our handlers to Aer Lingus shortly afterwards - a vast improvement. Anyway, GOOD NEWS for BA weekend pax!! Since the takeover of bmi virtually all the 'rubbish' (ie weekend) trips are now operated by ex bmi crews (no seniority so no choice of work pattern.) Son Simon (3 fingers) says it's just like the old days and everyone knows each other, pilots and cabin crew - one happy family again! (BA pilots don't know their cabin crews apparently; to be fair there are thousands of them.)

Once stranded overnight by fog in Milan with BA - Birmingham flight was one of those sewer pipes with wings and no electronic landings aids so plane couldn't get in.  Flew a few of us back to Heathrow next morning on a 737 with the promise of a shuttle bus to Brum and instructions to go to the BA help desk in Heathrow.  We duly did and they knew nothing about it so I sighed and got the train.  But Lufthansa have done that to me too.  I have another horrendous BA story from about 15 years ago but too long to tell here - suffice to say it resulted in me cutting up a Gold Executive Club card and swearing never again.  But I eventually went back.  I've done 80+ transatlantic flights in the last 20 years or so and plenty to Oz and Asia too.  Tried Delta, AA, US Air, KLM, Air France, Virgin, Lufthansa, Qantas etc. They all have their faults but, on balance, I prefer BA for several reasons.  Do think they have got significantly worse in the last few years though.

During the 70s and 80s BA had a policy NOT to buy any UK products, I worked Rolls-Royce Motors and we had policy of supporting our customers and suppliers eg BL stamped out the floor pans for our car division and we all had BL company cars. We always tried to take overseas flights on Airlines that had some RR engined planes. During that time BA's strap line was " The worlds favorite airline" we used to think this was arrived at by the high number of passengers which if applied to the M25 would make it the " World's favorite highway".  Having travelled overseas on company expences for over 30 years I can say BA rate highly on safety, it's the staff which let the company down in all respects. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw their latest TV strap line containing the words " TO SERVE " . 

Sorry I find this thread funny coming from you Terry, someone whos been involved with a company working in the Railway industry, that bastion of timetable punctuality LOL

Just for the record I left British Rail and Railtrack in 1994 and started a Railway engineering company doing civil engineering, building design and construction management.....

Nothing to do with running trains etc...... but I agree Railways do not have a great record of punctuality but are not allowed to tell you if trains are delayed by fatalities/suicides and a few others topics which are deemed not to be in the public interest.

Never known it take 2hrs 30mins to open a carriage door though :(

Excuse me but I'd like tom point something out.

The thread is not about punctuality, safety or the actual flight itself.

To quote:

NO APOLOGY, NO COFFEE WHILST ABOUT 300 PEOPLE WAITED FOR BAGS

It's about leaving a plane load of passengers in a baggage hall with no explanation, no drinks whilst waiting for their baggage. 

they obviously knew it was you tel

But Steve you know how diplomatic and patient I can be :blush:

But Steve you know how diplomatic and patient I can be :blush:

:laugh:  :yes:

If you had ever travelled by Libyan Arab or other reknown middle eatern airlines you may change your mind. Saying that customer service obviously was cr*p and you could have demanded meals etc you have rights ( and lefts) which some folk are not aware of. Onward travel etc etc the wait was totally unacceptable Tel I guess you have contacted the airline to complain and strongly.

Just very unlucky I guess.

Bob :angry: