Cars for sale section, an idea

Mark (smokey mow)

OK, I've started work on this now, so Cars for Sale is effectively off line to posting for a while, perhaps up to 2-3 hours depending on how it goes.  Please bear with me.

Right, back up now, and I'll explain my logic later (brunch calling), but you now have two sub-forums in Cars for Sale - Westfields for Sale, and Other Vehicles for Sale.  I've transferred the threads from Cars for Sale over the past six months into the appropriate sub-forums.  Anything older is still in Cars for Sale and is likely to remain there so that section will simply be an archive - you will be able to search Cars for Sale as a forum, but you will not be able to start a new thread or reply to anything in there - you will only be able to start new threads and reply to threads in the new sub-forums IYSWIM.

You can navigate directly to the sub-forum by clicking on it in the main menu instead of clicking on Cars for Sale.

If this all goes hideously wrong or is received with the same enthusiasm as pneumonia, it can all be reversed.

Let's see what you think - I look forward to your inevitable bouquets and brickbats. :)

Back from brunch! :t-up:

Right, the logic for sub-forums... I am trying to balance the desire for this extra specific forum with not taking up any extra screen footprint, which I hope this achieves.  I have also truncated the forum descriptions somewhat in a further effort to reduce screen footprint area, or in other words, reduce the amount of scrolling needed on the home screen.

I did think about reducing this even more by combining the Cars Wanted as a sub-forum and calling the whole thing Cars for Sale / Card Wanted (and similar for the two Parts forums), but the problem I can foresee there is the latest post on the right in each forum - if Cars for Sale and Cars Wanted were combined, you couldn't be sure if the latest post was something for sale or something wanted - confusing.

I don't envisage doing this sub-forum thing anywhere else, so that's a no to anyone who wants a sub-forum in Stuff & Nonsense such as Moans, Gripes, guest's World of Brummie Driving Adventures, Norman's French Letters, etc - that's what your blogs are for! :d

Anyway, let's see how we go with Plan A, and take it from there.  The proof of the pudding is in the eating!

Cheers,

Scott

I was with Ade on this, thinking that we didn't want to many separate Area's. But I do like the way you have done it Scott as when you first open it you get everything for sale and then you can click to the type of car you want, which reduces the list down a lot. Cracking update.

I was with Ade on this, thinking that we didn't want to many separate Area's. But I do like the way you have done it Scott as when you first open it you get everything for sale and then you can click to the type of car you want, which reduces the list down a lot. Cracking update.

Agreed - another step forward.  Well done Smokey for suggesting and HonMemSec (yet again) for an excellent and thoughtful update.

Rory's Dad

I've now moved all 2,200 threads into their respective sub-formats as best as I could by their thread titles, so it'll be easier to do a Blatman, er, search.

Yes - it's always been members only, and always labelled as such.

But now you can't see any ads unless you are logged in - all you get is 'there re no posts in this section' (or whatever it says) so you just assume there are NO Westfields for sale or they are only for sale to members.  Whereas in the other 'members only' sections you can see all the ads - but you can't post unless you are a member.

Mike

Really?  I've logged out and can see them fine - try a F5 refresh.