Cars for sale section, an idea

Mark (smokey mow)

Browsing through the cars for sale section earlier i was surprised to see how many non Westfield's were being advertised in there something like a 50/50 split.

I don't have any problem with that, but was thinking, and in the interests of helping to make it easier for newbies to search for a car whether the cars for sale section should be split into two, one for Westfield's for sale and then another for non-Westfields? Much in the same way as other car club forums have :)

• Like 1

Good idea  :t-up:

I agree that it would be easier if you're actually looking for a car, which is I suppose the point of a 'cars for sale' section :d but as someone who just sometimes browses through it just for fun it maybe wouldn't suit as well.

I appreciate that it is aimed at people looking to buy so wouldn't have a problem with it.

Would it be a point that people selling non-westfields hope they are noticed by people browsing because people don't speciffically look here for non-westfields? IYSWIM

Very sensible idea, would help a lot.

It can be done, not an issue.  We could have "Westfields for Sale" and "Tin-Tops for Sale" if that sounds plausible to you guys.  I'd just want to fly it past the rest of the committee to get their OK, which I'm sure they would approve if there's enough support.  I'll contact the rest and let you know, but please continue to add your comments positive and negative to the idea.

Great idea !!!!

It can be done, not an issue.  We could have "Westfields for Sale" and "Tin-Tops for Sale" if that sounds plausible to you guys.  I'd just want to fly it past the rest of the committee to get their OK, which I'm sure they would approve if there's enough support.  I'll contact the rest and let you know, but please continue to add your comments positive and negative to the idea.

Thanks Scott :yes:

you may like to think up a different heading to "tin tops" though so as not to confuse sellers of TVR's, mx5's and camper vans :)

Maybe the rather dull "Other Vehicles for Sale"?

I'm open to suggestions! :)

Personally - I am a fan of as few different section as possible. I will tend to browse certain sections and not others. As such other areas don't get exposure. As an example, a separate section was set up for Eleven Plus, but I personally preferred seeing those crop up in tech talk and others. I would learn about Eleven stuff without making a conscious decision.

The same is true of advert sections. The person who wants to buy a green Westfield with 2L XE engine will be well served by a westfield's for sale section with subsections of green, 2L and XE. But of course many buyers don't realise they are buyers until something takes their fancy.

I browse stuff wanted and for sale and then I see something thats priced right, or suits me and then I contact the seller. But I have never browsed for stuff specifically wanting anything. I become a buyer because the seller has exposed a need for me. I suspect I am not alone in this approach.

Therefore I think this could dilute opportunity for sellers, as well as reduce opportunity for people to stumble upon becoming buyers.

Westfields - None Westfields, reasonably simple I guess.

Open to other suggestions ehhhhhh

Bob :p

Well, this caused some interesting grown-up debate backstage yesterday, with very good points pro and con.

I am undecided on this as well.  I can see the logic in doing so, but I agree with Adrian overall about not having too many forum areas, although not for his reasons - I think too many forums just looks wrong, makes you unnecessarily scroll down the page, and could be avoided by combining certain forums.  It's nice if possible to have everything on one page you can completely see.  But because these boards have evolved and grown over the years, I don't think it's possible to shrink it back to all fit one page and still have it work cleanly.

I have had an idea that might work, which I'm going to implement as a maximum 30-day experiment starting later today.  This will necessitate taking the Cars for Sale section offline for about an hour while I do some work backstage, so please be patient when this happens.  It's a bit of a compromise layout that will not completely please either side, but one which I hope will work and be liveable.  If it's working after 30 days and mass rioting hasn't occurred, I will start a simple poll (unless it's universally loved or hated) - keep the new format or return to the original one.  So let the members decide the merits of the idea and the layout - I'll either be a bright guy or a complete muppet afterwards.

Thanks Scott, Adrian et all :t-up: seems like a good plan :yes: