• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

My Narrow for sale

markcoopers

As much as it pains me to do so and after much sole searching I have made the decision to put the Westy up for sale.

Call mark jackson on 07900 817745 or pm

The main reason for me doing this that despite the will to use the car and an active Westfield Sports Car Club area in Cambridgeshire  I just do not have the time to use the car on a regular basis on road or on the track.

forsalesig.gif

The car is a Westfield SE Standard body live axle model finished in Westfield Mandarin Orange and Satin Black Powder coat.

Correctly registered in 2001 and showing 2 registered keepers (I am 2nd) since first registration on the V5 the car has covered an average mileage of 1,400 per year since the original build.

The car has had a chassis up re-build  in 2006-2007  as I wanted to swap the engine from a 1600 CVH to 1800 Zetec and enhance the safety aspect of the car by adding a full rollover cage, I also felt that this was also an ideal time to do some general updating and upgrading and re-create the car to my own specification.

Rebuildchassiswelding002.jpg

Rebuildchassiswelding004.jpg

Rebuildchassiswelding007.jpg

For all intents and purposes the re-build was so thorough that once completed the car was in “as new” condition. It has been well looked after and maintained regardless of cost since and is in fantastic cosmetic and mechanical condition as can be seen in the pictures.  

The build was completed to a specification that gives a good usability on road with a definite motorsport/track day bias and has all the “right” bits ensuring that it is not only great to drive but also safe and reliable.

Many well known Westfield “experts” from the WSCC were involved with the rebuild much of which was completed by Chazpowerslide (the WSCC area organiser for Cambridgeshire) at his home in Cambridge.

The car is well known within the Westfield sports car community and much of its history during my ownership is documented on the WSCC website.

The driving experience is dominated by the noise of the induction, straight cut gearbox and wind and is all the better for it.

Due to the fitment of the roll cage it’s also not the easiest thing to get in and out of (but no more so than an Elise or similar with the roof on) but once you are strapped into the Westfield 6 point harnesses and body hugging GRP race seats it is comfy enough to a full days worth of driving and still be able to climb out and walk away without feeling like you have been run over by a truck.

I have driven the car to Le Mans and on a long weekend trips to Wales, Devon, the WSCC Coast to Coast run and several other long trips with which the car coped admirably and with great reliability.

lemans072.jpg

myfavouriterouteoct2009023.jpg

It is however on the track that this particular little car excels, where the build specification and the Northampton Motorsport chassis setup comes into its own and you get a full on thrilling and thoroughly rewarding driving experience.

I have done several track and airfield days over the years that I have owned the car and can honestly say that it has never failed to tickle the adrenal glands, it is more than capable of embarrassing cars that cost four times as much in terms of both pace and handling.  

The combination of the race seats, 6 point harnesses and the full cage gives you a real sense of security and confidence to really push on when track driving.  

It seems that prospective buyers are put off by the standard body live axle cars preferring to go for the wide bodied independent rear suspension models.

My experience with many years of involvement with the Westfield marque (and having owned seven Westfields previously) have led me to conclude the live axle and independent cars to feel very similar to drive in terms of handling and ride and the “larger” driver can be accommodated comfortably in the standard bodied cars.

I know of several owners who are “larger” than average and still fit into their standard bodied Westfields comfortably.

This particular car goes, stops and steers with the best of them being set up for track work without being compromised for fast road use.

I also prefer the aesthetics of the standard bodied cars as there is extra depth to the rear wheel arches making the cars look lower and wider.

This Westfield looks particularly good from any angle in its Westfield Mandarin Orange bodywork and silk black colour scheme, polished rim black  Revolution wheels, 205x60x13 tyres.

I knew that I’d eventually succumb to the temptation to tune the standard 1.8 Ford Zetec engine (155 BHP) so could not resist the temptation to fit a moderately tuned 1.8 Zetec as part of the cars ongoing development for track use.

Once fuel injection was fitted and Northampton Motorsport had carefully dyno tuned the engine the power is now 192 BHP which is pushing along 545 Kgs of car (approximately 353 BHP/Tonne) The engine is wonderfully flexible on the road and gives a strong top end rush when revved to the 7800RPM rev limiter.  

To compliment the engines power and flexibility I added a Quaife five speed straight cut close ratio gearbox matched to the 3.82 final drive ratio, lightweight flywheel and Quaife automatic torque biasing (ATB) limited slip differential (LSD).

This combination beautifully utilizes the engine power with the light flywheel enhancing acceleration and engine response to the throttle and the ATB seamlessly putting the power down on the road.

I worked hard during the build to sensibly reduce the car’s overall weight so I could get the maximum performance and acceleration out of the engine’s power.

During the build all of the chassis components, brackets and panels were powder coated satin black so if looked after the car will look good for many years to come.

Attention was paid to ensuring the car can be worked on easily so the scuttle, dash, diffuser ect are all quickly removable to allow easy and quick access to the cars wiring and mechanical components.

The car is fast and thrilling to drive whilst still being able to return in excess of 35mpg on long runs, insurance for me is a little under £120 per year with the road tax coming in at a tad over £200. Emission testing for the MOT is based on the registration letter (“Q” plate) which the car easily passes without the need for a CAT so there are no complications here.

I have fitted many of the popular upgrades during the build so the car really wants for nothing, it’s fully loaded and ready to go so the prospective buyer need not worry about further upgrades as I’ve already taken the hit for these in terms of cost and time.

If you really felt inclined an extra 10 to 15 BHP could easily be obtained from the engine with more racy cams and further cylinder head work but I personally wouldn’t bother, it’s quick enough as it is.

I believe that the price I’m asking I think not only reflects the specification of the car but also the current economic climate.

The cost of building the car is not reflected in the asking price, to build a road going car to a similar spec you’d be looking to spend many thousands more.

I’m not in a hurry to sell as the car is unlikely to be used again this year so the condition/mileage will not change from that stated until it is sold.

IMG_1242.jpg

THE CAR COMES WITH A FULLY SETUP CHASSIS AND ENGINE BY NORTHAMPTON MOTORSOPRT FOR WHICH I HAVE ALL THE RELEVANT DOCUMENTATION AND MASSES OF PICTURES, RECEIPTS AND HISTORY.

I have the car for sale for £ 9750 ono

Taxed Feb 2012, MOT'ed March 2012

A full summary of the cars specification is provided below.

Chassis.

Hot metal sprayed and powder coated.

Weld in Westfield floor mounted pedals.

Strengthened rear radius arm mounts.

Welded in bosses for ease to removable/unbolt gearbox.

Welded in cage mounts.

All aluminum paneling sealed with Sikaflex structural sealant.

All aluminum paneling/brackets powder coated.

Exterior chassis closing panels added.

Welded in rad mounts

rebuildjune06005.jpg

Brakes.

Cat Motorsport grooved front discs.

CAT Motorsport 4 pot calipers.

Mintex 1144 Brake pads.

Alloy hubs.

9” RS2000 rear drums with Mintex linings.

Braided flexi hoses.

Kurnifer solid pipe work.

AP master cylinder.

Suspension/steering.

Front uprights and brakes rebuilt in 2010/2011

Standard Westfield Front Wishbones.

CAT Motorsport quick rack.

Alloy rack mounts.

AVO single adjustable dampers and Eibach springs.

Cortina front uprights.

Polybushed throughout.

Westfield 2 piece column and lock.

Engine/Transmission.

Mildly tuned 1.8 Zetec, 130bhp spec block with under piston oil spray

Ported Cylinder Head.

Piper 285 Cams

ARP rod bolts.

ARP Flywheel bolts.

Vernier pulleys.

Scholar anti surge short sump.

High capacity water pump.

2L Zetec Oil pump

Remote oil filter

Polo Alloy rad

insuranceagreedvalue2011006.jpg

Transmission

RS2000 alloy bell housing.

Quaife five speed type 9 straight cut close ratio gearbox

Raceline Light flywheel.

Heavy duty clutch, AP cover plate

RS2000 release arm.

3.82:1 “English” dif with Quaife ATB unit

Westfield gear lever extension. (pineapple grenade knob)

Feeding and firing.

Omex 600 full EFI ECU

45mm Jenvey throttle bodies.

ITG ram pipes.

Jenvey throttle linkage.

Pipercross air filter

Dunnell port matched inlet manifold.

Westfield 4-1 stainless steel exhaust manifold.

Westfield 7” re-packable silencer.

Swirl pot/Hi pump and blind rail fitment, facet low pump.

Wheels/Tyres

Revolution 4 spoke wheels with polished rims 7x13 ET19

Toyo R888 tyres 205x60x13

Alloy centre caps.

Dome type wheel nuts.

Safety.

Caged full roll over cage in lightweight T45 tube, FIA and MSA homologated.

Westfield 3”x 3” (lap and shoulder straps) six point harness.

MK high back black plastic sports seats.

Momo steering wheel on SPA quick release boss.

Extinguisher

Electrics.

Westfield loom spiral bound and “P” clipped to chassis.

Bespoke relay/fuse box for the ECU under the dash

Standard Westfield lighting pack

Heavy duty battery leads.

Powervamp PV 25 gel battery.

Instrumentation/switches.

Standard Westfield gauge set (80mm Speedo/tach and 52mm Fuel/Oil Pressure/Temp/Amps)

Standard Westfield switch gear.

Tunnel mounted ignition and start switches.

Underfloor blue neon

Bodywork/interior

SE “High Line” bodywork in “Westfield Mandarin Orange”

Quick release Scuttle.

Tim D Aero screen

Rear diffuser, Plays-Kool.

Removable rear dec panel (powder coated)

Plays-Kool carbon effect front arches

Plays-Kool carbon effect rear arch guards

insuranceagreedvalue2011005.jpg

Misc.  

Powder coated aluminum dash.

Powder coated aluminum rear deck.

Motorcycle style front indicator pods.

Wesftield carbon fiber effect front cycle wings.

All aluminum paneling  powder coated in satin black epoxy powder coat.

Black rivets/black aluminum  button head bolts used throughout.

Underside of rear arches rubber painted

Power

Dyno tuned at Northampton Motor Sport at 192BHP/148lbft torque.

Spares

Plain uncut carbon effect Plays-Kool blank dash

Std type 9 gearbox

Original clutch and Flywheel

So call mark Jackson on 07900 817745 or pm for a chat and more pics etc

• Like 1

very good advert

Erm, please don't take it the wrong way; but you might want to consider resizing the photos down a little. They're so big the thread is really hard to read on anything with a smaller screen.  :blush:

Is it an advert or a build thread  :p

Saw this car a few months back at the airfield day the Cambs region organized.  Sounded and looked superb and went and handled very well. If I could fit in a narrow bodied car I would have it in the garage by now.

David

Saw this car a few months back at the airfield day the Cambs region organized.  Sounded and looked superb and went and handled very well. If I could fit in a narrow bodied car I would have it in the garage by now.

David

Is this a narrow body, or standard?

David

Is this a narrow body, or standard?

Narrow and Standard body means the same thing, the earlier smaller model essentially.

This is by far the best built narrow bodied Westfield car in existence, IMO.

A lesson on how to sell a car me thinks and what a little belter she is.

why this hasnt sold....... no idea......... IF i hadnt got the Porky i would have been interested as a track day / race car but back to the old needing 4 seats issue hence not the right time.......

• 1 month later...

It is with more than a tinge of sadness that I have to report my car sold.

Happy news is that it has gone to a club member and I know he will look after her. Didn't even get a last drive blat as it was a bit damp out. She will be missed.

On a brighter note well done.

It must have been the superb advert that finally did it ;)

How did the test drive go? I assume well as it's gone.

Personally I'm glad you didn't get a chance to sling it through Benningfield bends just one last time.

At least you didn't manage to break it again before it went....... :yes:

Chaz.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.