Workshop Gloves What Do You Use?

wacomuk

you need some knitted style gloves with PU or nitrile coating

the PU foam coating ones have more grip in oily conditions and the nitrile ones have greater resistance to oils (there are now foam/nitrile coated gloves on a knitted liner which are good although don't offer quite the feel)

I use a PU foam coated glove as they are very comfy to wear, dexterous and soak up most of the knocks/cuts you tend to get when general spannering

you do have to remove them for the odd very intricate job though

I sell them for a living :-)

oh and as above nitrile (disposable) gloves are much stronger than latex or vinyl disposable gloves - I only tend to use these when doing dirty jobs

Cleggy, I feel a bulk buy coming on.

How much for a pair of gloves for every member?

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Would the pink barrier cream be Rozalex Norman? Used it at college 32 years ago.

Bioman, That's Rosalex.

It's been a week of old memories. Roselex is another of those memories from 50 years ago working at University Motors Ltd.

I really can't believe grown men are having a discussion about what gloves they wear.

Whatever next, which handbag or which tights?

(no offence - just jesting)

Hi again Norman, there must have been to barrier creams with the same name. Mine was clicky, those were the days.

Sorry, it must have been you're spelling. :)

Interesting history.

Car looks good Nathan, is that on the long crendon road with the sign Westfield only?

Its the back road that is between Bicester and Thame. This sign is just before you enter Thame. Might be called the Thame Road or Bicester Road not sure but I know it very well. I have a photo also

67677_10150287949480251_603025250_15210761_4942443_n.jpg

• Like 1

this is the sort of glove I was talking about - I dont sell this particular glove but one similar

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polyco-Grip-Nitrile-Foam-Coated-Glove-DIY-size-9-/320905390727?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item4ab773aa87

Cleggy,

Do they get slippy when wet.

Bob ;)

like most things you put your hand into - yes :laugh:

The reason I ask is that at work we have a glove matrix which specifies about 8 types of various gloves for various jobs. One type is notorious for being very slippy when wet but great when dry. Just wondered.

Bob :(

yes Bob - the foam type gloves tend to be better in oily/wet/greasy conditions - however they do allow the oil through the glove

the nitrile gloves are grippy in dry conditions (almost sticky feeling on certain materials however that all goes to pot when fluid/oils etc are introduced to the work)

quite a few companies have PPE for designated areas inc gloves, footwear, hearing protection, respiratory etc etc

this is the glove I will be stocking shortly - see the glove pictured where the guy is working on the bike wheel - http://www.ultimateindustrial.co.uk/2009/hand_nitrilepucoated.html - this is the glove that has both coatings on and offers the best of both - but as mentioned it is slightly thicker