Westfield arrived but problems already

DELETE ME

23 hours ago, 6carjon said:

It's not carbs it's a single act carbon plenum injection from the picture.

My seight was very similar. Symptoms could be all sorts of things but happy to chat with you 121 and give you pointers from experience. I am not a mechanical experts but have had my seight sine 1998.

Cheers jon

Thanks Jon would love to have a 1 2 1 and chat about this in more detail

Guy's

Thanks for all the support, I noticed there was fluid round the fuel sensor on top of the tank so, I have got some cork and made a couple of gaskets.

Also went to my local garage who looks after a couple of west fields and we had it up on the ramps. No leaks found  and mechanics were puzzled.

I will look at the lights in detail and maybe get an auto electrician in.

The over heating has not happened today and even when left idling it got to 90 and the fan kicked in and took it back down to 80. I used a digital thermometer and that only registered 70 so something is adrift there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Glove said:

I was planning to go down with no problems, but I guess it's something to talk about ;) 

What time is the meet tomorrow night at shardlow?

From 7pm.

There should be some Westfields in the car park by the canal but if there is no one around we meet in the upstairs room, see you there!

As others have said they are things that should be fairly easy to resolve and once done you can get on with enjoying the car.

I recently bought an SEiGHT off Yanto and there are things I have already sorted - bad connections to the rear lights causing all sorts of things to be illuminated at the wrong time, mirrors are being replaced as they have a habit of folding in on themselves above a certain speed (cough cough :-)) 

A month in and I'm now starting to feel comfortable with the car - if you're anything like me you start fearing the worst, it can destroy your confidence in a car

Sorry to hear you're got problems with the car. As others have said, they should be easily fixed. The reverse light wires will be green with a brown stripe and a black return. At the gearbox there should also be a connector to the reversing switch. This is assuming that the gearbox has a switch fitted of course. It is a kit car, so anything is possible. Again, as others have said, a working reverse light isn't a requirement if it is Q plated.

Jenny

15 hours ago, Martyn Vann - Joint Warwickshire AO said:

From 7pm.

There should be some Westfields in the car park by the canal but if there is no one around we meet in the upstairs room, see you there!

Hopefully no Westfield's in the canal by the car park. Check your handbrakes! :d

Jen

6 minutes ago, Welly Jen said:

Hopefully no Westfield's in the canal by the car park. Check your handbrakes! :d

Jen

I carry a handy house brick as insurance :d

• Like 1

Thanks for the catch up last night Martin, it was very useful. 

I fixed the indicator issue, because leds are fitted then require a resistor which had lost its connection. Soldering a new wire to the indicator and that fixed the issue.

regarding the over heating it appears mine is acting the same as most members running at 70 degrees and fan kicking in @90 when standing still.

The fuel smell is my biggest bug bare but Martin came up with some ideas which I am trying. 

I'll keep you all posted.

• Like 4

On 07/04/2017 at 16:06, Glove said:

Thanks for the catch up last night Martin, it was very useful. 

I fixed the indicator issue, because leds are fitted then require a resistor which had lost its connection. Soldering a new wire to the indicator and that fixed the issue.

regarding the over heating it appears mine is acting the same as most members running at 70 degrees and fan kicking in @90 when standing still.

The fuel smell is my biggest bug bare but Martin came up with some ideas which I am trying. 

I'll keep you all posted.

Entirely pointless having LEDs fitted then, what you need is an indicator relay that works with LEDs fitted.

Another thing to check is the filler cap, it could simply be a vented cap and you will get some fuel vapour from that.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lyonspride said:

Entirely pointless having LEDs fitted then, what you need is an indicator relay that works with LEDs fitted.

It does always seem to be throwing half the benefit of LEDs away.

21 hours ago, Lyonspride said:

Another thing to check is the filler cap, it could simply be a vented cap and you will get some fuel vapour from that.

The filler cap is rover and seems to be fitted securely and sealed.

the petrol smell is very strong around the fuel sensor hole and flange fitting. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/04/2017 at 20:49, Glove said:

The filler cap is rover and seems to be fitted securely and sealed.

the petrol smell is very strong around the fuel sensor hole and flange fitting. 

Update and Fuel smell fixed

I treated the westfield to a coolant flush and new antifreeze etc, that has helped with the the running temperatures and reduced by 10 degrees.

Regarding the fuel smell issue it turned out to be the pipe work that the previous owner had fitted. When the pipes have been removed they absolutely stink of petrol and since swapping them out my garage air is a lot cleaner.

Spoke to http://www.autosiliconehoses.com and they have confirmed that the hoses are not designed for continuous fuel use.

IMG_4749.jpg

IMG_4750.jpg

• Like 2

Good to hear things are improving! Just needs lots of sunshine now!:d

Youch!

Theres exactly one of the reasons why we always recommend posting photos, it's the sort of mistake some one can spot before it gets to be a massive problem.

There are some versions of silicon hoses with special liners that are suitable for occasional exposure to petrol, but these are usually more intended for breather pipes or filler neck pipes, and NOT actual fuel pipes.

Personally, with the ever increasing amounts of ethanol in fuel, which can be very aggressive and corrosive to certain materials, I would only use ethanol safe rated fuel hose, such as the gates Baricade stuff,

(Note hoses also need to be pressure rated for the appropriate presssures if used in a fuel injection system, which will typically have between 3 and 5 bar fuel pressure, though slightly higher is even possible on some systems. (Discounting direct injection fuel systems, which can have insane fuel pressures!)