Hello from potential new builder, lots of q's!

Steve (sdh2903)

If you have the money for an S2000 kit then you should go straight for that.    Building an MX5 kit and getting the 200bhp you want will cost dearly, not to mention the months of extra work.    You could also offset some of the cost by selling your MX5 parts.

I don't have the money for a full kit but I do for a starter kit plus a few extras to get going. I'm hoping the sale of my mx5 bits will go some of the way to fund an engine and box.

I'm pretty much set on a mega s2000 now.

One question for the s2000 lot. If you have bought a donor car, how much can you expect to make back on selling the rest? An engine and box is looking like £2500+ on its own.

A few people that bought well and really went to town parting the cars out effectively got most of their money back and ended up with very cheap engines and gearboxes - I'm sure one builder got so much back for the rest of the car, they ended up with a "free" engine and box!

Admitedly, that was before the cars values climbed a bit. But with care, if you've got the time, space and enthusiasm, you should be able to seriously reduce what the drivetrain owes you.

As Dave said that is just what I did, I only brought a starter kit & a s2000 Wright off from a salvage auction without seeing it in the flesh.

Cost me at the time £1850 but by the time it was delivered etc it was £2300, but as said I've more or less got my money back still got few few bits left so might even make a profit!

That said it is a bit of a ball ache stripping it & labour intensive, plus I had a pile of scrap on the drive for 12 mouths.

But if you have got the room/time it's the way to go but you may need to search for a car plus they are fetching top money now!

Also if you search for the best prices for all the other parts you can save money on a full kit from WF.

Andy

you wont be disappointed by the S2000 tho....!

• Like 1

Time and space isn't the issue really. I have access to a unit away from the house. It's like you guys say it's either take pot luck with a salvage car or stump up 5k for a decent ish car with reasonable miles.

I think to be honest if I could find a decent lump for 2000-2500 I'd take it.

Is there a list of parts/suppliers anywhere on the site? I've drawn up a list to order from Simon on Tues. I'm going for a starter kit with a few added bits to get the engine and box in and get it able to sit on wheels and steer. FW rear and widetrack front. I've currently got the front uprights and hubs on the list but they seem a bit pricey!

You say Tuesday ... why not go to Stoneleigh this weekend and try to negotiate a show special.  They certainly used to offer 10% off at shows and sometimes a little bit more.

David

Cheers, I've wangled the Stoneleigh discount providing I get my finger out! Sadly can't make it down to Stoneleigh.

They are WF front uprights so you haven't got much choice there, but it's all the bits & pieces like ball joints, CV joints etc.

Plus I also took advantage of all the special offers they had on during my build.