Hello from potential new builder, lots of q's!

Steve (sdh2903)

Well after emailing Simon I'm off for a factory visit on Wednesday to see all the options. Cheers for all the info.

Steve

As an alternative,

if you like the FW bodywork and want a Mazda SDV with Forced induction then this kit looks really good and I beleive it has more space for a turbo:

http://www.roadrunnerracing.net/index.php/the-sr2

As above,they have some serious issues with how they are mounting the Mazda diff,and going by the thread on Locostbuilders of a user that's had his rear chassis break RoadRunner are less than helpful :(

That doesn't sound good - however the OP in that thread has visited several forums over the years and has been very 'vocal' with completely incorrect information including this forum. (May not be the case in this instance?)

We must not forget Westfield has also had 'Chassis problems' - this is small volume manufacture and whilst we hope items are designed/manufactured correctly a large portion of the product testing is customer based.

Always enter kit car ownership with open eyes - Westfield make a good product but 75% of that depends on build quality as it does with any kit - if you are one of the first to try something new on a kit expect problems - there are several high powered Road Runner cars without this problem.

We have seen the differential legs on MX5's break in a standard fitment - we don't know if the differential fitted to this car may have been 'compromised' in its original location by a side impact into a kerb etc.

I don't think people should assume there is a design flaw when a second hand part from an unknown source has been fitted and fails in an area it is supposed to fail upon an impact?

One or two failures of a second hand product do not necessarily constitute a flawed design when numerous others have not experienced problems?

(N.B - post made for future reference of others browsing this forum.)

Granted and well put. However it's not the fact that bits have broken. It's how it's put right in my mind that's important. I've spoken to 3 sr2 owners who've had the same issue, one was on the car's first run. There's no doubt it's a great looking kit though and I can also appreciate roadrunner have had massive issues with their premises and by all accounts lucky to still be trading.

• Like 1

Granted and well put. However it's not the fact that bits have broken. It's how it's put right in my mind that's important. I've spoken to 3 sr2 owners who've had the same issue, one was on the car's first run. There's no doubt it's a great looking kit though and I can also appreciate roadrunner have had massive issues with their premises and by all accounts lucky to still be trading.

For clarity, the company in the industrial unit next to Road Runner Racing had a huge fire, badly affecting surrounding businesses, RRR included. They had lots of stuff damaged or destroyed and have had to move between temporary premises a few times. They appear to be getting back on track, slowly but surely.

If you were prepared to throw the money at it the Mazda 1.8 has 200bhp in it, naturally aspirated.

I too wanted the FW rear and was put off by the custom tank required. I wish I'd thought of using a different different instead though technically this would have resulted in a Q plate. That has benefits mind.

:ww: from tropical Essex.    Your factory visit is the place to ask your questions and mind boggle you on which options to choose.   Also a visit to Stoneleigh Kit Car show next weekend will give you more ideas and even confuse you more on which options to go for.

Whatever you choose, the WSCC forum is here to help you during your build, even down to   -  "which way round do these bolts go"? 

Dommo, i just dont have the budget to throw at it for N/a tuning, plus i imagine it would be quite an extreme spec to get that high bhp and possibly lose some driveability. I had previously settled on going for the blink 160 package and then possibly go forced induction later, however i'm trying to 'build it right build it once', i know the car will evolve over time but my last build changed direction massively a couple of times during build and it cost me time, lots of effort and money in the end. So if im going turbo, ill be going turbo from the off to save cutting more holes, new manifolds etc.

Cheers Sooty, Yep i have an A4 sheet of paper ready full of questions! and your right about tropical essex, this afternoon i was in the garden and the next thing i know its bl**** snowing!! Still stuck at work the now and got 600 miles in the car tomorrow!

You'd be surprised how easy it is to chop and change stuff. Once you've got an aftermarket ecu you've unlocked many paths. That's how I've ended up with throttle bodies then changing to turbo. Well, that and childishness.

Keep considering things like the Blink 160 kit though. I drove mine harder on track with 160bhp than I did with 260bhp.

• Like 1

Well i did the factory visit yesterday, 600 miles in the car through sunshine and snowstorms, luckily not in a 7!

Amazingly my credit card stayed in my wallet despite being very tempted! Simon was a really nice bloke who took the time to establish what i want from the car now and in the future and talked me through all the options giving me a realistic build cost. Had a seat in the very smart ecoboost car and had a play with the very cool Aim dashboard. Came away with a load of info and a lot of thinking to do. I think actually ive changed direction and im now looking at a mega S2000 starter kit!

With regards the mazda kit, yes I can have the FW rear but im on my own regarding the fuel tank. A custom tank is very doable but the boot box would have to go, although judging by the size of the FW boot its no great loss. I imagine a healthy size tank could be incorporated into the boot space.

I'm still massively torn over which car to go for, i like the power out of the box of the s2000, i like the idea of all new other parts, however it will be a longer build due to cost. I like the fact i have a lot of mazda bits and upgrades waiting to plonk in a mazda car, and i could be built over the winter and be on the road next year.

I'd promised myself and the wife that i would be building this one to keep a long while and i think if i built the mx5 car i would alway have one thought of 'wish id gone for the s2000'. Its a tricky one.

Anyway thanks for all the info so far chaps and when i eventually get building ill be pestering for more info! In the meantime ive put my donor stuff up for sale in the classifieds section, if someone comes and takes the lot it will make my mind up for me :t-up:  

That is the post of a tortured soul, but I have to say you are doing the right thing thinking it through and speaking to Simon and visiting the factory. Whatever comes next you will know what is right for you.

Looking forward to the build blog!

The MegaS2000 has more than just the engine and gearbox different doesn't it? A few different chassis features I thought.

You won't get the FW front on an S2000. Enjoy the decision though, don't lose sleep over it. I don't think you can get it wrong whichever way you go.

Yep, on the S2000 the chassis development work was given to Randle Engineering, a proper "grown up" motorsport and automotive development company.

The chassis has a stiffened diff area similar to the Aerorace, but with a little extra bracing where it meets the rear bulkhead. It then has a wider transmission tunnel and modified scuttle structure, merely to accommodate the practicalities of the bulky Honda engine and 'box. Then moving to the front, it has an extra diagonal brace to the front of the chassis, along with a re positioned steering rack to reduce bump steer and slightly modified front suspension geometry to increase anti-dive.

Unfortunately, the engine and box as used are too tall to fit under the FW nose/bonnet unit. So a ZK nose plus V8 bonnet have to be used, though either ZK or FW rear tubs can be used. (I'm not sure, mine may be the only ZK rear S2000 around, I don't recall seeing any more, most do use the FW rear.)