Radiator (upgrade from standard) - sorted by COOLEX

Onliest Smeg David

Looked like a lovely bit of kit for that money when I saw it the other day, two-pass as well. Would definitely consider one of these if I had a car that needed extra cooling (Y)

I wouldn't have said the 'Lardy Ones' 1.8 needed it, but whist drained down thought I'd go for one with appearing such good value.

Temperature does appear to be more stable, same running temp but with fan cutting in less in standing traffic.

• Like 1

if its the same quality as I saw from rally design the best place for it is in the bin

Oh dear.    Good job I bought your Radtec then :yes:

Not seen a Rally Design one but the Coolex looks at least as well constructed at my Radtec, if not quite as "polished".

My Radtec only lasted eighteen months, despite being mounted on purpose designed rubber isolation bobbins, with zero "twist" on the end tanks, before it sprang a leak.

That would be disappointing Dave , 18 months.  I expect they would have been as disappointed as you, and fixed or replaced it free of charge? 

It wasn't used for fourteen months while building the new car, so technically over three years old.

It's not the first Radtec to have an issue with how it's end tanks are welded on.

• 1 month later...

Another vote for Coolex by the way, dispatched same day , good price, and the difference in cooling clear from the 'drive around' temperatures.

I went for their 70mm core .   Don't know what my original came from but it was a substantial bit of copper and brass that  barely fitted in the nose cone!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Bit of a thread resurrection. Following recommendations on here. I decided to purchase the 55mm Polo type rad.

Ordered yesterday morning arrived today lunchtime! Good company to deal with, helpful and knowledgable.

Rad looks good quality.

Which bobbins are people using to attach the alloy radiator and where to purchase them?

Hi Nic

I have sent you photos by email of my install. Really pleased with the end result. Worked a treat last year at Oulton Park

Andy

Been looking at these as a lot cheaper than radtec,do you use your original Westfield cooling fan? Or do you upgrade (kenlowe),what would be the best thickness to use? 2.0 zetec....regards martin

I kept original fan, mounted on the bracket that spans the radiator. Seem to remember I did have to trim the bracket to fit the radiator a bit.

I have the Duratec and went for the direct replacement std one Coolex do. Can measure core when I am back in uk

Andy

Ditto to the above. 55mm thick will be fine. Speak to Coolex they are very helpful and delivery was quick. Good quality item. Don't forget too mount on bobbins.

• 9 months later...

I popped into coolex yesterday morning, fabricated an exact replica, 55mm core version of my holed rad, by the afternoon. Only £145 too.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.