Taking Fuel to a Track Day

KugaWestie

Gary,

My preference for only using the 5l plastic container is based on the amount of liquid involved. Should anything happen and the tank split 20L would spread an awful long way and the consequences could be massive. If the plastic containers are correctly designed which I guess they are and protected from mechanical damage and firmly secured that's acceptable. For use in the Westfield rattling about I personally wouldn't.

Bob :d

I got told off for filling up the tow car with the window open.  I know petrol fumes can be dangerous, but its a diesel.  They must send these people on a health and safety course once in a blue moon

wonder how that works with a convertible then? :d  or maybe that has a big enough opening to be ok :yes:

so how do you fill up a Westfield ( not a Tow car) and avoid fumes !!!!!!!! idiots :angry:

so how do you fill up a Westfield ( not a Tow car) and avoid fumes !!!!!!!! idiots :angry:

It's not that the fumes can go into the cockpit, with a saloon the vapour might get trapped in there and ignite at some point.

Gary,

My preference for only using the 5l plastic container is based on the amount of liquid involved. Should anything happen and the tank split 20L would spread an awful long way and the consequences could be massive. If the plastic containers are correctly designed which I guess they are and protected from mechanical damage and firmly secured that's acceptable. For use in the Westfield rattling about I personally wouldn't.

Bob :d

Thanks Bob

never had a problem filling jerry cans when the westy and jerry cans are on the trailer - have been asked frequently to show my jerry cans when I have had them in the boot of the car though

I think most use a common sense policy these days

They shouldn't allow you to dispense if the cans are in your car, again it's the fumes that can get into the car (the vapours are heavier than air) so will sink as soon as they come out of the can..... and could settle in your boot.

I doubt you'd ever have a problem but for just taking them out  would eliminate that factor.

One point that Bob noted..... please secure your cans with a strap etc to stop them flying about, if you ever have a crash (or tip over etc).... apart from the fact a flying can could maim or kill you, imagine a can flying around the car and the lid come lose....

The energy stored in a can of juice is staggering.

oh and 2 x 20 litre jerry cans and a full tank of fuel is only just enough if you are doing it right :d:p

Too right! My lad's Z4M Coupé does about 7 to 9 mpg on a track!

• 4 weeks later...

Details are hazy 5 years on but when I asked the local police about it they said there was issue with 2x20 metal cans in the car for transport only as long as they where suitable containers and marked.

Never had an issue filling them.

Sometimes I do the tow car, nossel on the floor, move forward, fill the kitcar, then tanks, all on one transaction.

Storage is 2x5 plastic and 2x10 metal I think for petrol. Diesal is much much higher.

How would they know when bomb factories go undetected? ???

I put a 5L in the boot of the towcar for the genny at the weekend, and the following morning it all stank of petrol.  Drove the first 500 yards with the windows open.